Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an oil filter for the wifes Burgman 650 this morning from Suzuki dealer, cost $20.00. Later priced one at Wal-Mart (Fram) was $6.47.
I think the one from Suzuki (made in China) must be made of gold or at least silver...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The OEM filter costs $9.99 at my dealer. There is a lot of debate about the quality of the Fram filters - a lot of folks won't use them. There is a list of other filters here:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... oil+filter

You can also find the OEM filters online for less than ten dollars. You kind of have to buy a few at a time to make up for the shipping cost though.

But if my dealer provides the OEM filter for $9.99, and your dealer charges $20.00, that should tell you something. He's either buying them wrong - or making one heck of a profit...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
OEM filters cost me around the $10 mark up here in Canada as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Goldwingrider said:
Bought an oil filter for the wifes Burgman 650 this morning from Suzuki dealer, cost $20.00. Later priced one at Wal-Mart (Fram) was $6.47.
I think the one from Suzuki (made in China) must be made of gold or at least silver...
Fram filters are the WORST rated bike filter ever reviewed to my knowledge. Plus, $20.00 is not reasonable. Find another source/dealer. Keep all your receipts in case of warranty claims later as well, Mike

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Goldwingrider;
I agree , Fram may have the name but it seems it's all marking hot air
Check around , there are many others, K&N oil filter is not bad , the same for Amsoil

·
Registered
520 Posts
Randy said:
Goldwingrider;
I agree , Fram may have the name but it seems it's all marking hot air
Check around , there are many others, K&N oil filter is not bad , the same for Amway
Probably old news to the other "old salts" here, but here's a link I've had since I was young and GOOD Lookin. Well, young anyway......

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/index.shtml

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Pappy said:
Goldwingrider said:
Fram filters are the WORST rated bike filter ever reviewed to my knowledge. Plus, $20.00 is not reasonable. Find another source/dealer. Keep all your receipts in case of warranty claims later as well, Mike
He said the Suzuki OEM replacement was $20.00. The Fram was $6.47 at Wal-Mart.

But, as mentioned, if the dealer is charging that much more than other dealers for OEM parts, something's not right.

When I had my first service done the filter was $8 or $9 if I recall.

There is a lot of variation in prices among dealers, so it pays to shop around. If there is more than one dealer in an area it helps.

For example, I ordered a service manual from my dealer for $18. Others on this board have quoted $30 or more.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Nice thing about the Fram filters is they come with the "O" rings. The blasted rings must be made of gold for the price they charge.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
gruntled said:
Nice thing about the Fram filters is they come with the "O" rings. The blasted rings must be made of gold for the price they charge.
:?: I paid 27¢ for the O-ring on my first service. How much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My bike requires three "O" rings for the oil filter. I have one invoice here where they charged me $2.99 each for two & $1.99 for the other.
That totals more than the price of the filter $6.50. With the Fram filter all three "O" rings come with it & the filter is cheaper.

·
Registered
520 Posts
gruntled said:
My bike requires three "O" rings for the oil filter. I have one invoice here where they charged me $2.99 each for two & $1.99 for the other.
That totals more than the price of the filter $6.50. With the Fram filter all three "O" rings come with it & the filter is cheaper.
"Cheaper". YOU said it...... :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You should read the post in the web links section on oil filters. Very informative and thats why I use OEm Suzuki filters.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree with Allwalk. After what I've read about Fram oil filters, I won't use them. I run the OEM filters on both of my Suzukis.

There is a huge amount of debate in the various motorcycle forums regarding motor oil and filters. I've seen zero credible tech data out there from the manufacturers. There are maybe 2 or 3 somewhat scientific tests by private parties - and those were mostly done some time ago. So 98.5 percent of all the message trafffic on this topic is personal opinion, conjecture, and wishful thinking.

There is a guy in the V-Strom forum who buys diesel motor oil cheap at Walmart and runs it in his brand new motorcycle. He also uses Fram filters. Uses the same stuff in his (non-diesel) cars - and his lawnmower. He points out that motor oil has to take a lot of extreme punishment in a diesel engine, so it is a superior grade of oil. :dontknow:

I'm just not comfortable skimping on oil or filter quality in a high compression, high revving engine. That's my own personal opinion, for what its worth.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I printed the page from Ron Ayers with the price of 9 bucks and change and after some discussion, they matched this price. Of course I haven’t used them yes as I realized the manual didn’t call for a filter change at the last one I did.

I agree, it's just not wroth messing with, whether it be the filter or oil. Similarly, spending much more on synthetic, or changing the oil much more often is a waste of time and money. Yeah I know some freaks will change it every other day or so. Good for them. (all MY opinion, but as per Suzuki's recommendations as well.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts