Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an oil filter cover O-ring. Dealer also sold me a small o-ring that goes on before you slip the oil filter on.
GOOD THING. :shock: Just changed the oil, checked the filter, there was no small o-ring there.

Hoping it's not THAT critical. Had changed oil 1500 miles ago, before trip from AL to OH.

Assuming that the small o-ring goes on the boss, then you slip on the oil filter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hello again Mike, no, I don't think you need to worry. While it's not desirable to miss this 'O' ring out, I feel sure the missing 'O' ring wouldn't have a major impact on anything other than the amount of oil that gets filtered. Without the 'O' ring less oil will get forced through the filter. It will just escape into the filter chamber where it goes back into the engine crankcase. But this only means it bypasses the filter and should not appreciably affect the pressure. It sounds as if you are changing your oil early anyway so that's a good thing. All should be well. :cheers:

PS. yes the 'O' ring goes on the boss before installing the filter. Be careful with it as it can break if mishandled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That little oring that was missing is the seal for the oil filter. When you torque down the oil filter cover the spring on the back side keeps the filter pressed against the oring forming a seal. Without the oring in place the filter wont be filtering as much as it should be.

I know on my car without the oil filter o ring you wouldnt make it even 1 mile all your oil would be gone.

Good luck, I hope the motor is ok.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems OK.
Just did FD and engine oil changes. All is well in Burgland. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts