Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to change oil/filter today, since I just rode another 350 miles yesterday - 101 South from Santa Cruz area to Paso Robles, over Ca. 46/Hwy1 to Cambria, then Hwy 1 and Big Sur Coast back home.

I’m riding dirty, trying to get my bike past 7500 miles, so it can be legally titled here in Ca., and gonna ride another 850 miles over the next three days starting tomorrow.

Is there an interchange list within the Forum of all the major Brands of oil filters and their numbers? I want to get this done today, a Sunday, and have limited options for locating an appropriate filter. Gonna go check LeDude’s site now . . Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I cannot leave tomorrow, as planned. Wife and Mother-in-law are going on a gambling junket today and for the next couple days.(Booooo!, there goessome of the money for my farkles!) That leaves me to take our grandson to Kindergarten. I would not miss out on that for the world, anyway, so have to wait till the weekend. But I still would like to know which brands, along with their part numbers will fit/interchange. Wix is the best I may be able to get on a Sunday, they were always preferred over a Fram, IIRC, but that was some years ago. Fram was considered junk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've used Fram oil filters for years, never a problem. Had an Emgo oil filter collapse on my 1100 Goldwing. Check EBAY for different filters .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used Fram oil filters for years, never a problem. Had an Emgo oil filter collapse on my 1100 Goldwing. Check EBAY for different filters .
Thanks, Doug.I am actually getting some hits about this when I Googled it. The majority of hits are from burgmanusa.com, but when I did a direct search here, those threads did not come up, though. I think I am compiling a decent list, will set out shortly to find something.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I want to change oil/filter today, since I just rode another 350 miles yesterday - 101 South from Santa Cruz area to Paso Robles, over Ca. 46/Hwy1 to Cambria, then Hwy 1 and Big Sur Coast back home.
Now you're just bragging. :wink

Reactions: ibuzzard

·
Administrator
18,696 Posts
I am on my 10th or so EMGO 1055660 filter that is listed on LeDude's page. I have used K&N KN-138 too but have had that nut on top snap off on one. I also have used the Napa Gold 1359 made by Wix filters until I found EMGO's for $4 each shipped free when I bought 10 at a time. I have done about 30 oil changes on all my Burgmans, NO filter failures.

The Fram problems were back in the 1990's. I was one that lost a race engine due to a failed Fram filter. It was a Mopar 440 bored and special crank stroke to make a 513ci that was pushing about 850 HP. Racing 1/4 mile drags. Had new oil and a Fram PH8 filter. Loss of pressure at 4,000 RPM during my burn-out but my 'Low oil pressure' ignition cut off saved the engine. Dumped the oil, was nasty, full of crud. Replaced the oil and a new PH8 and the next two runs down the quarter was fine. the 3rd run at about 135 MPH loss of pressure again but this one was at 5500 and lots of oil down on the track. Cut both filters open and they were mush inside. I was buying these filters by the case. I still have around 8 of this 'LOT" run of Fram filters still in their boxes. But when these failed I punched holes in all these new ones. I used the box as a step stool for years.
The new Fram PH8a is a good, not great but good filter. I still pick Napa Gold 1515 that is made by Wix, Wix 51515 same filter.

·
Administrator
18,696 Posts
Basically, ANY brand of filter will work well enough for a 3,000 mile/5,000km oil/filter change interval.

When you step out and push the oil change interval out to 7200 miles is when you need to be very selective in your choices....

I change my oil AND filter at around 7200 miles, two of the preset 3600 mile oil change reminder on the dash. But I use Rotella T6 synthetic oil and a good filter every time....

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those having trouble deciphering the calsci list, once you scroll into the Suzuki list, they are arranged by engine size. The 650 is in the second column, about halfway down. Good info, once you decode it

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all! I found a Wix Filter this a.m., job is complete.

Dave, can you provide me a link to where to buy the filters at that price? Amazon was 7.50 ea.

·
Administrator
18,696 Posts

·
Administrator
18,696 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to all! I found a Wix Filter this a.m., job is complete.

Dave, can you provide me a link to where to buy the filters at that price? Amazon was 7.50 ea.
Did you get the Wix 51359? I can’t find any reference (on Wix’s website) to the correct filter. O’Reilly’s website says the 51359 will NOT fit the 2018 650, but that’s the number for the 2017’s. Same engine I presume?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts