Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Oil Filter Brands

6K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  DFOMara 
#1 ·
Anyone have any good info on other oil filter brands besides Suzuki?
Went to the local dealer today and paid $14 for an oil filter for the 650 which seems a little steep. :cry:
I know form reading the GWRRA (Gold Wind Road Ridera Assoication) and GL1800 forms that there are plenty of other manufactures that make who make filters that fit Hona Goldwings.

#2 ·
I have been told that if you bring your scoot in for warranty service and you are using anything, but a genuine Suzuki oil filter, they will try to blame the filter. To make my life easier, I only plan to use Suzuki filters during the warranty period.

As for filters that will work, it is my understanding that these all have 20 x 1mm threads like the Suzuki 16510-34E00 filter and therefore should work on the AN650.

AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Cycle Power 314-1919
EMGO 10-55660
Fram PH6018
JC Whitney 06AD3165B
K&N 138
NAPA 1359
Perf-form J-509
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
VESRAH Sf-3007
WIX 51359

For some interesting info on motorcycle oil filters read this: Oil Filters Exposed

#4 ·
FILTER

found an onelince source for filters at a little over 9 bucks. Printed the page and asked my local dealer to match which he did

#5 ·
I haven't had to change the oil yet myself (dealer did 600 mile) but I always used the NAPA Gold 1359 on the Bandit which is the same as the Burgman. No problems.

However, Inever had a problem with the Bandit which required going to the dealer.

#6 ·
Oil Filters Exposed

Wow. Interesting. I survived using Fram filters for most of the 60,000 miles I put on my Kawasaki Concours, but I won't use them on my Suzuki's after reading that.

I'll probably stick with OEM. My maintenance is pre-paid on the Burgman 650 for three years anyway, so I can use any filter the shop carries at no additional cost to me. With the V-Strom I do have to pay for service, but I'll only go through 2 or 3 filters a year. Even if the OEM filter costs $5 more, that's pretty cheap for peace of mind. Can you imagine being out in the boonies and having your oil filter blow up or blow off? I would consider using K&N or HiFlo on the V-Strom based on the article - I'll have to see if my dealer carries them, and if so, how they compare in price to OEM. But the Burgman gets OEM for at least the first 3 years.

#7 ·
You guys want to know if Fram filters work? My '87 Nissan Hardbody truck has had nothing but Fram filters and Castrol GTX oil every 3000 miles. The truck now has 423,000 miles. The engine has never been opened up. I always use Fram on my bikes, too.

#8 ·
filters

the oem suzuki filter has a check valve in it,so some oil is retained in the cylinder. well, so does the 5.99 emgo filter from j.c. whitney. the one that fits my 800 intruder also fits mr. burgermiester. so thats what i'm running. if a dealer says you have to run suzuki filters or oil, that is against the law.read that somewhere,covert would probably know about that.

#9 ·
minnmax said:
Purolator ML16818
]
I just did a full oil change on my 650 and found that the Purolator ML16818 oil filter doesn't come close. The thread size is wrong so I had to make a quick trip to my dealer for a Suzuki one. It was only a couple of dollars more than the Purolator anyhow.

#10 ·
I have used Perf-Form J-509 filters on my last few Suzuki products -- Bandit 1200, Burgman 650 e.g.

Check out their web site at <www.perf-form.com>. They're made in Iowa I think. They contain microglass media and according to oil analysis done by Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne, IN the filters are doing a good job with mimimal particles left in the oil.

Ray Nielsen, in MInneapolis and back from a ride today.

#11 ·
I started out looking for a cheaper aftermarket hoping to find a Super Tech (Walmart) filter but there doesn't seem to be one . NAPA wanted over $11 for theirs and about $9+ for a WIX at auto stores so I just bought 3 Suzuki filters from my dealer for $10.77 each after reading they are good filters. That should last me well into next year.

#13 ·
I used to use Fram but not anymore. If you cut one open you will see why. For cars switched to Purolator PureOne synthetic filters - much better build quality and much better gasket.

For the bike, The OEM Suzuki filters are obviously good and sometimes dealers give a discount. I bought several at a 20% one day discount in early summer.

Another good filter is the K&N filter. I especially like the rolled threads, high build quality and the welded nut with drilled hole for safety wiring to lock in place to keep from vibrating off. That way I can hand tighten and not worry about losing it, oil loss to engine and oil on rear tire. See http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.