Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 400 (2000 km) has developed a small drip from the oil drain plug. The oil was changed in the fall by the dealer and everything was fine until last week when I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor. Now there is a new spot about the size of a quarter each morning.

Any ideas why it would start to leak? I checked the plug and it is tight. Does the plug have a gasket?

Neil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim.

I'll remove the plug on the weekend and check that. Maybe the dealer left the washer out.

Neil

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Any FLAPS will have blisterpacks of assorted drain plug gaskets of plastic, aluminum and copper (my favourite, though the plastic often works best if the seating surface is damaged). Look for the Dorman products display...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently changed the oil on my 2019 400 and after another 1000 miles, I noticed a very small amount weeping from the drain plug. I replaced the crush washer (09168-14004) with a new one and the drain plug was torqued to the correct torque during the oil change. I do have a question regarding the direction of the washer, flat side against bolt head or flat side against the drain pan? I do think the crush washers are exceptionally hard to remove on Suzuki drain plugs compared to other bikes I own that have flat crush washers.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
16.5 lb ft torque for drain bolt. Maybe a recommendation? Not sure if it was me but after the first oil change when I bought the 400, I had noticed the drain bolt would not thread "perfectly"
Might I suggest after you drain that you use a cloth, slip it into the threaded area and turn it a few times to make sure there arent any particles that would affect it over time. I use my nail in the threads with the bolt to clean inside. Kt had stripped some of the threading after an oil change again. I now will be supe meticulous to clean both threads before closing it up. Im certain it may have been the garages that over tightened the bolt. They go by feel. This bolt is critical to torque correctly

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Many folks do several changes before replacing the washer, some never do. Leaks could just be a speck of metal or sand under the washer. I would think more likely to happen with the solid aluminum or copper washers than the OEM washer that actually crushes. Next change replace the washer again and thoroughly clean all the seating surfaces of the bolt, washer and pan.

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
flat side toward bolt, notch in direction of threads, removal of old one-- throw away bolt if stuck on bolt, if stuck on bike, shop for an electric

·
Registered
255 Posts
Remove sump plug and washer.
Clean plug, washer and around sump drain hole. Just to remove oil deposits then apply:-
Hylomar® Universal Blue non-setting gasket jointing compound to the sump plug washer top and bottom. No need to change the washer ever again just refresh the compound and any imperfections in the mating surfaces will be filled with the jointing compound so no leaks. You will also find you don't have to nip the sump plug up so tight either so minimising the chance of stripping the threads in the sump.

Hylomar Blue, bottom of web page

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I ordered some exrta drain plugs and washers. Will just watch it for now but if gets worse, I will replace both ensuring the contact areas are clean of debris and the plug is torqued to the correct value. I always purchase a service manual when I buy a bike to better understand the procedures and torque values.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts