Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets get an honest answer to the pole..
then of course post what ever you want us all to believe :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
That one got me thinking, Randy. Now I'm an irregular rider, I really must change my oil-checking regime to a mileage- (as opposed to time-) dependent one.

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Actually I check every time I check the tire pressure, or about 150 miles.

I think I have a slow leak in my rear tire, so I do check it Ea. day before I ride. As long as I'm down there I check the oil, Weather it's a 500 mile day or 30 mile day.

Usually not more, than once a day, but 2 -3 times a week average.
If I didn't have the slow leak It would be about every 500 miles

I have had some anomolys, RE oil.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I haven't yet! :oops: Well, last sunday I looked at the sight glass when it was sitting on the center stand and I was cleaning her up, and it looked to be dark soooo...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I check my oil b / 4 each ride-----
But then I also change the air in my tires every three days :roll:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
In the '85 I got my first scooter, and assumed it would be just as reliable as my car. I still have the car I bought at around the same time, and it to this day has never needed any oil between oil changes. I started out checking the scooter oil every ride, then every week, then once a month. It never needed any oil either, so I got to the point where I couldn't remember when the last time I'd checked was. I think I was about 7000 miles into that scoot when it seized up on me during a ride home. Out of oil. Took 450$ish of 1990 money to get the engine rebuilt.

So Darth gets his oil checked every ride, period. Old scoot was a $2500 ride. New scoot is a $7000 ride. No question....check oil every ride!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Depends on who's asking. :wink: If it's Suzuki: I check it before every ride. Anyone else: every fill up.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had to say "every now and then". But I'm going to start doing it weekly when I check my tire pressures.

As for Suzuki, if they expect folks to check oil before every ride why did they put the **** sight glass window where you have to get down on your hands and knees to see it (650 model) :?: A dip stick that could be accessed while sitting on the scooter would make a lot more sense.

The answer to how often I check the oil on my car would be "almost never".

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have to admit I've been a bit laxed when it comes to checking the oil. But once a week I check and add air to the tires.

The "Check Oil" idiot light, unlike a car, comes on when its just a little low. So whenever that comes on I simply add a bit of 20W50 oil. I really like this feature because if the "check oil" idiot light comes on in a car its pretty much too late!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have about 6,000 miles on the 650 at this point (7 months of ownership) and I check the oil probably once every 4 or 5 rides. I do remember, however, when the Burg was newer (about 2,000 miles) that to my surprise/horror the oil idiot light came on (and stayed on). I did the visual check--and saw nothing in the sight glass :shock: . Took the cage to the auto store and added what turned out to be about half a quart to get in just below the full line. I think that in the beginning I was in an ignorant "with modern technology I really don't need to check very often...I can wait until the 3,500 mile service" mode. Mistake. Luckily no harm done to the beast.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Randy said:
I check my oil b / 4 each ride-----
But then I also change the air in my tires every three days :roll:
How old is your gas? :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts