Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first change tomorrow morning, and have some conflicting info. In your gallery, it shows you taking off several side panels to get to the drain plug and filler cap. This looks like it takes some time to do.

In other places, it describes the oil change procedure as very simple, with just 1 panel removed, and total time less than an hour.

Is there a simpler method than is shown in your gallery?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are just changing the engine oil, you don't have to remove any panels other than the maintenance cover to get to the oil filler hole. The oil filter and drain plug are clearly visible. Changing the transmission oil is a little more complicated and tricky to explain, especially if you don't have the workshop manual to refer to. Basically, there are three holes more or less one above the other. the top one is the filler hole, the middle one, the fill level hole and the lower one is the drain hole. Suzukis idea is to drain the oil then screw in the drain plug then fill through the top hole until the oil comes out of the fill level hole. The problem is that it's tricky to get at the filler hole, also completely unnecessary! Just fill through the oil level hole until the oil overflows. What you need is a container with a thin tube about 12" long attached (I think you can buy something like that at an auto spares store). Push the tube into the hole then pour the oil into the container so that it flows into the hole. When oil overflows, you're done.
I hope this makes some sense to you.
I am leaving early tomorrow morning for Texas on my Burgie, so I wont be able to help you further, but hopefully someone else will jump in.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the quick way to fill the transmission is as described but I use a turkey baster with plastic hose attached --- suck up the oil put tube in hole fill until it comes out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
do we know exactly how much tranny/engine oil to add?

I can envision a seasoning injector of some sorts.. that has graduation marks on it. Can meausre out correct amount without having to worry about overfilling.

LOL.. I am a neat freak, I guess.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
600 mile service

Well, I've done it! Everything went OK, it just seemed like a lot of screws, bolts and pins to remove for the trans service. I'm glad that you don't have to do that every time! The oil change and gear oil went OK. I bought a quart of gear oil for $1.98. I now have a 6 year supply based on past riding habits.

I used the turkey baster trick until the oil loosened the rubber bulb. I then made a funnel the way I made it back in 1965 when I changed the oil on my CB160. A little corner of a "yard sale" poster board fashened into a small funnel did the trick!

The whole thing took a couple of hours - with a break in between to get the proper gear oil.

Thanks to everyone on their prompt response to my questions. I posted it last night around 11 pm and had every reply when I checked it at 7 am this morning. Where else can you get service like that!

·
Registered
761 Posts
seatec said:
Amount of oil is stamped beside fill plugs on my bile in ml for all 3, noticed it after I was done, is also in manual, Wayne
DOH,, you're right. Sorry for silly question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts