Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you probably know this anyway but just to confirm, changing engine oil does not require the removal of any plastic covers. If you can raise the bike about 12 inches higher, that will help. The only problem I encountered was my container that will receive the old oil almost touching the engine (bike on center stand) and that hampered removal of the oil filter due to limited space. I am trying to create a way to change the transmission oil as well without removing plastic but that one seems a little tricky. The easiest way would be to pump the oil back into the same hole where it came out but the entering oil will create pressure inside and that air will want to escape at the same time as the oil goes in. A work in progress.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How in the world did you put fresh oil into the engine without removing the maintenance cover???

Reactions: Kobus

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehehe Dogboy you made me laugh. Ok rephrase, I could never do it without removing the maintenance cover.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I usually change out the engine, transmission, and final drive oils as well as the filter at every 7000 miles (give or take a few hundred). That is how I wrote the sticky thread on this very subject. Not that hard to remove a few plastic bits, not as many as the manual says if you look at that thread. Not that big a deal either. I have read here of some who drilled holes in their plastic panels to enable changing those other oils without removing the plastic but I don't like cutting holes where they can be seen if I can help it. Too easy to take off the one panel under the passenger foot board and the final drive cover and loosen the left lower leg shield. Oh, right, and that maintenance cover. But I suppose you could cut a hole in that also and not have to remove that one either!

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the idea to cut holes exactly where the transmission drain bolts are, is not a bad idea as one could easily plug the hole with a type of rubber grommet painted the same color as the rest.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Someone on the forum posted photos of doing just that as well as drilled a hole to get that forward small bolt out of the final drive cover. I've found that last thing is not needed. I used an open ended wrench and can reach behind the panel to get at that forward bolt just fine. When I changed out my rear tire (another sticky thread in this sub-forum) I did just that and included a photo of doing just that (using an open ended wrench to remove that forward bolt) since the final drive cover was the ONLY bit of plastic that needed to be removed to take out the axle. Of course there is at least one service shop (who I would avoid at all costs) who simply drilled out a hole in that cover just to remove the rear axle nut! Bad form IMO unless the owner of the Burgman requested it be done that way (which he did NOT give permission to do so).

Reactions: Kobus
1 - 6 of 6 Posts