Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used 400 cc 2012 burgy, 2,900 miles...asking price is $5000, 2 questions....do these bikes have a history of burning oil at say 50-60 mph for 4 hours, and 2 its a terrible small battery..can these scoots be push started ?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
They cannot be push started because the clutch engages in response to engine speed not rear wheel speed. No matter how fast you push them the clutch will remain disengaged.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
do these bikes have a history of burning oil at say 50-60 mph for 4 hours, and 2 its a terrible small battery..can these scoots be push started ?
not a drop of oil should be used at such speeds for any time. If the bike uses it, look for another one.

its a terrible small battery..can these scoots be push started ?
One can jump start it but it's quite a reliable battery, didn't hear about any electrical issues. Depending of course on how many gadgets you want to install. I would say its adequate for the class.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They cannot be push started because the clutch engages in response to engine speed not rear wheel speed. No matter how fast you push them the clutch will remain disengaged.
Thanks....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not a drop of oil should be used at such speeds for any time. If the bike uses it, look for another one.

One can jump start it but it's quite a reliable battery, didn't hear about any electrical issues. Depending of course on how many gadgets you want to install. I would say its adequate for the class.
''not a drop of oil should be used at such speeds for any time. If the bike uses it, look for another one.'' Thanks..but only have so much money to work with..being 78, this is my last bike..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I've been repeating myself, seems I asked these same question back in 2011...I'm a little hesitant in buying this burgy being used to the twin motors. Present bike is a 07 C50 with 40,000 miles, I see in some of these forums the burgy owners have put on a lot of touring miles,, the dealer will trade me for 2,500 bucks the burgy is a 2012 with less than 3000 miles. me being 78 well guess its time to quit the twins.......

This forum seems to be pretty active...
dave

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
5k is quite a bit to work with. I dare say you could find a good used 400 for the 2500 you're gonna give the dealer.

So far as a twin vs single, fear not. The 400 has a very stout little engine. It will happily chug along at 75-80 mph and then some all day long. I've got 8 years and 42k on mine and it runs better than ever, despite some abuse and very little work done on it. Just a throttle body about a year ago.

Other than the usual oil, rubber and such, the tranny is the only item that needs attention really. New belt and rollers every 20k, a deglaze every now and again, perhaps a new clutch at 35k.

For comfort, you'll need a good seat pad, backrest, maybe a windscreen and bags if you tour.

At your age, the 400 is a perfect small touring bike. It'll get you accross country as easily as it gets you to the grocery store with room to pack for either. I call it the Swiss Army Bike, does everything you need.

Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

Good luck. Yes this is a very active forum. You'll find most info you need here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5k is quite a bit to work with. I dare say you could find a good used 400 for the 2500 you're gonna give the dealer.

So far as a twin vs single, fear not. The 400 has a very stout little engine. It will happily chug along at 75-80 mph and then some all day long. I've got 8 years and 42k on mine and it runs better than ever, despite some abuse and very little work done on it. Just a throttle body about a year ago.

Other than the usual oil, rubber and such, the tranny is the only item that needs attention really. New belt and rollers every 20k, a deglaze every now and again, perhaps a new clutch at 35k.

For comfort, you'll need a good seat pad, backrest, maybe a windscreen and bags if you tour.

At your age, the 400 is a perfect small touring bike. It'll get you accross country as easily as it gets you to the grocery store with room to pack for either. I call it the Swiss Army Bike, does everything you need.

Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

Good luck. Yes this is a very active forum. You'll find most info you need here.
thanks....as you said I'm probably giving my bike to the dealer, I could probabaly sell mine for say 3500 but doubt if I could find a burgy locally for say 3-4000 with low mieage.......so I'm thinking that running only 5000 miles a year, this bike should last me......btw does this take regular oil and low octane gas

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The 400 Burgman uses regular automotive
motor oil, & the cheapest regular gasoline
you can find.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another question...is there a online service manual for the 2012-400 burgy ?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you worry about the battery get a compact jump unit, they are getting smaller and smaller all the time. Just keep it in the trunk or front box and it's there when you need it. Also a battery tender will keep a good charge on the battery.

The 2003-2006 Burgman 400s have a history of oil use at highway speeds but not the newer ones. In fact Suzuki might have fixed it in 2005 since all the complaints I could find were on 2004 and 2003 models.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:)
If you worry about the battery get a compact jump unit, they are getting smaller and smaller all the time. Just keep it in the trunk or front box and it's there when you need it. Also a battery tender will keep a good charge on the battery.

The 2003-2006 Burgman 400s have a history of oil use at highway speeds but not the newer ones. In fact Suzuki might have fixed it in 2005 since all the complaints I could find were on 2004 and 2003 models.
:) and thanks

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

Mines an 07 and it burns next to nothing. I just changed the oil and it was only on the low oil line from the last time I changed it 4k miles ago. It only uses a little more than a quart total, so the burn for that milage was maybe a 1/4 quart.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mines an 07 and it burns next to nothing. I just changed the oil and it was only on the low oil line from the last time I changed it 4k miles ago. It only uses a little more than a quart total, so the burn for that milage was maybe a 1/4 quart.
how many miles on the 07 ?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
how many miles on the 07 ?
As stated previously and posted on my signature... 42k. Runs great!

It's my commuting ride of choice, so it get ridden virtually every day. My 650 sits until the weekend.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Bought my 2011 in July 2012 with 100 miles or so on the clock. It now is approaching 47K. Like Liamjs I use it daily to commute. I find that I'm using about a cup of oil between changes. I also came to the Burgman via a C50. Haven't had a single regret since making the change. This could be my last bike. More likely my next 400 will be.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
@remida - saw your posy over on the 650 forum. Some caveats to keep in mind when reading forums on this BurgmanUSA...

<Burgman promotional advertisement>

You will see owners with problems over represented here since many come to the site seeking help. The 400 is pretty trouble free with a few consumables. I figure on about $300-400 per 20k miles (80% of that cost is rubber parts) or about $.015-$.02 per mile.
Earlier (pre 2005) 400's had a tendency to have oil disappear from the crankcase, sometimes leading to engine failures. Not a problem with the 2012 you're looking at.
2005-2007 had a 3 shoe clutch that had some issues. Not a problem with the 2012 you're looking at.
Up to 90mph, You will find the 400 performance pretty comparable to the C50 you have now. You will find the 400 more pleasant to ride that your current C50. And about 30% better gas mileage. And a little more storage. I find the 400 way more fun to ride. I'm still looking for reasons/excuses to ride at every opportunity and I'm on the Burgman at least 2 hours a day 5 days a week.

In general, the 400 has some periodic maintenance items (much like the C50) that you'll have to take care of if you want a trouble free experience. The 650 has far fewer periodic items but starts to have a few doubts as mileage approaches 50-70K. Still not a consideration with the 2012 400 you're looking at.

As stated earlier, I've had 46K+ pretty trouble free miles (compared to my C50 and every other vehicle I've owned) and look to get another 100K out of it (4 or 5 years). If, at that time, it appears to be in need of replacement, I expect I will get a 201x model year Burgman 400 for the next ride. It would be interesting to see just how far a Burgman 400 can go. I seem to recall someone talking about a 400 with 130K miles.

What I can't tell you is how the 400 (or 650) compares to competing scooter models since I stopped looking with the 400.

</Burgman promotional advertisement>

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don't worry about that battery unless you plan to power a bunch of 12VDC gadgets when the bike isn't running. Remember, its only job in life is to spin the engine for 1 second during start-up. The only sure-fire way to kill the battery is to leave the motorcycle sitting for months without a trickle charger on it. Be careful if you use the steering-lock feature of the ignition, you can accidentally turn on the "parking lights" which will drain the battery after several hours. The 400 is a SWEET machine, wish I had one to ride while I rebuild my 650.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts