Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I have tried the final drive suggestion and the let it flow back down for a few days suggestion. I just can’t seem to keep oil out of the air box!! I must be a special kind of dumb because I can’t figure out how to get the air box out without taking the whole bike apart. so, what happened now is I’ve been doing a ton of freeway riding, and went and checked the oil and no surprise, it barely read on the dipstick. put a bit of oil in to top it off. came back in the next day to check it to make sure, and it was overflowing with oil. what can I do to keep the darn oil out of the air box!! What Im thinking of doing is cutting a hole in the mesh under the air filter and using a syringe to get the oil out and put back into the fill hole.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Are you saying that oil got into your airbox and then got back into the crankcase? The only way I can see oil getting into the airbox is through the crankcase vent line but there shouldn't be that much actual oil that follows that path and it should never go back because of the valve. If more than a few CC of oil is getting into your airbox you need to replace the crankcase vent. Oil could build up over time in the airbox but I assume from what you are saying it is doing it quickly.

BTW you can't check the oil immediately after riding hard. It would show low if you do that because much of the oil is in the cylinder passageways. You need to give it at least 5 minutes to drain back.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had allowed it to sit over night before I checked it. I have no concievable idea how this is happening. It goes into the air box a lot, and then sometimes drains back. How involved is it to replace the vent? Would that fix the problem completely? Im so unsure of what to do here. Does anyone see a way to take the air box out without a lot of work? And how would I even check the vent? Im so lost with this.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The crankcase vent{full name "positive crankcase ventilation" or PCV} is on top of the engine. The vent is mainly for blow-by gas that builds in the crankcase but oil often seeps with the gas but usually not a lot. Most PCV systems use a valve that allows venting out but nothing back in - not sure if the 2003-2006 Burgman 400 has one, can't find a part number for it.

There isn't a lot of information in the service manual about the PCV system, just one page 10-3. The diagram of the PCV line looks like it is behind the airbox, so you would need to pull the seat and under seat compartment to get to it. If it doesn't have a PCV valve you might be able to add one.

I did find this old post - he might have found what the problem is, however the solution isn't cheap.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/14-bur...il-consumption-problem-resolved-my-400-a.html

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I saw that post a while ago. I really don’t want to re bore the engine. I think the PCV might be it. I guess Ill just have to take it all apart. What I don’t get is how it will sometimes drain down, and sometimes won’t. I can’t even find the PCV part in the fiche. What I also don’t get, is why the air box says it has a drain tube. What is it draining? Oil?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's a condensation drain. Doesn't need undoing very often but usually at main service intervals 7500 miles it's worth releasing the cap from the drain tube and letting any water out. I got loads out of mine last service (water) but mine was used for a fair few short trips and in wet conditions.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I guess that makes sence then. But, how is oil draining back into the oil pan?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It sounds like you have the crankcase overfilled with oil and when under pressure it pumps the oil into your airbox. Then while it is off the oil drains back into crankcase.

If I were you I would pull the airbox and clean it fully making sure it is free from all oil. I would then drain the engine completely of all oil, let it drain for a hour or so. Then I would measure out the exact amount the manual says should fill it. 1900 ml if you don't mess with the filter.

Once that is in check it with the dipstick and see if it reads correctly. If it doesn't then maybe you have the wrong dipstick?

Take it out and give it a good workout. Then let it cool and check the oil again. If it has gone down then see if it is in the airbox. If it is then it is pumping oil through the PCV. At that point you will have to get to the PCV and check it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I was thinking was putting a one way fitting on the PCV valve. Saw someone do that on a klr. I'll definetly do what you've suggested. I just so happen to need an oil change anyway. I put in a k&n filter last time, so I probably don't need to replace it this oil change. Right? I want to take the airbox out and give it a proper cleaning and make sure everything is just right with it. Let me know what you think about the oneway valve.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Let me know what you think about the oneway valve.
A valve would not stop oil from leaving the engine and going into the airbox but it would prevent the oil from going back. I think with the correct amount of oil that it shouldn't force a huge amount of oil out but obviously this was an issue as other had/have problems too. Mostly it seems it was the 2003 and maybe some 2004s as I don't see the complaints from 2005 and 2006 owners. I guess that means Suzuki fixed it but I don't know how. Perhaps that one guy was right and the piston rings are part of the problem?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Idk about the piston rings. That's too big if a job for me to do myself. What about a fuel filter? Would that trap the oil enough? Maybe a small catch can?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you think it could be the airbox itself that changed from 03-04 to 05-06? If it is, I could get an airbox from an 05-06 pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Even if they changed the airbox it would not stop the oil, so that would not fix your problem. I don't know about a fuel filter, most likely it would get plugged up and then you would have no crankcase ventilation which could be bad. A catch can would collect the oil as it leaves the engine but if it is as much as you suggest that wouldn't be good. I think you need to verify how much oil is actually going from the engine to the airbox and how quickly. Then from that a plan can be formulated.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you're right. I'm going to do just what you suggested and take the airbox out, clean it meticulously and put a catch can inline with the breather hose and air box. I'll also measure exactly 1900 ml of oil. Now, if I was to put a new oil filter, would I need more oil? Never did anything different when doing a new filter.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
if I was to put a new oil filter, would I need more oil?
Yes! with a new filter the amount is 2000ml of oil. Not a lot more but it is different.

Like I said once you have the correct amount of oil in then you can take a reading and see exactly where it measures on the dipstick.

I would also recommend you get a large syringe or maybe a turkey baster so you can measure just how much oil leaves the engine and ends up in the airbox{or catch can if you mount one}.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now, when I was looking. At catch cans, they seem to have their own air filter. What does that even do? I thought I could get one with a valve at the top and bottom and be done. I guess not.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Some have a vent to release excess gas.

Others don't.

I personally would use one like this. Also you need to find one that is small! There isn't a lot of room under there for a can. In fact you may have to make one or have one made if you don't have the fabricating skills. It might be possible to mount it inside the airbox??

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, the basic one is what I’ll get. thanks so much for the help with this. I was thinking of extending the tube out so I could put it in a more convenient spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What you're experiencing is oil aspiration which happens if you run the K3-K6 burgs around 7000RPM for prolonged periods of time. The crankcase vent doesn't vent anymore, but transports oil from the crankcase to the airfilterbox.

Look for KFir's fix to oil aspiration on this forum to get it fixed. I've did it to my K6 after it went POOOF on the highway due to lack of oil.... $1100 further and I'm driving again.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, just saw his whole presentation. Looks like he used a fuel filter instead of a catch can. Just a longer hose too. I personally don't have the lid on my airbox. Sounds better and breaths better too. So, can I just have the hose routed somewhere?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts