Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having a hard time finding malossi clutch and variator parts in Canada. Can someone recommend a place for me that is honest and fair, US or Canada. (I'll even cheer for a US hockey team if I have to lol).
I want to replace all variator components, including the finned fixed face, the belt and possibly the clutch, at least the contra spring. I just did a 2300km trip in4 days and want to make this bike smoother. I know the variator is not quite right. I dont know if the little springs in the clutch need changing or not. I would consider a whole new clutch, but probably not a Dr. PULEY.
Tks for and help, leads etc.
G.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
How many miles on it that you need to replace contra spring and front pulleys?

Not sure if USA and Canada have good relations regarding customs wise that if you send from USA to Canada you wouldnt pay taxes?

There is no lack of places to buy oem parts from in the USA. Ive only dealt with Partzilla.com and it was a pleasure, Others may through their favorites here.

Malossi clutch I'd buy from ebay. Many sell the vented type CHROME bell for $300 but looking now I see prices jumped. Covid19 must have affected people and they ask for more money. Seems to be a trend as of late people are price gouging.

I think Malossi make a contra spring for the b400 2007-18 also clutch mini springs you can replace on the oem. I personally would try to find the (chromed vented) bell and buy Malossi contra/mini springs but leave the oem pads. Cheapest way, imho. The oem clutch pads are fine imho. I've never had judder or slippage. I always clean the glazing off the pads and scuff the bell with low 100 grit sandpaper, sanding perpendicular to the turn.

Regarding the bearings and seals for clutch I'd go oem. Clutch pads from Malossi come with tiny springs I think they also come with 2 different ones as well for the pads to bite at an earlier rpm. Add sliders from Dr Pulley or Motoritec or Flying rollers

Ask Uncle Fester regarding his HIT clutch. Its $400 (no bell) but it seems to do the the job

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles on it that you need to replace contra spring and front pulleys?

Not sure if USA and Canada have good relations regarding customs wise that if you send from USA to Canada you wouldnt pay taxes?

There is no lack of places to buy oem parts from in the USA. Ive only dealt with Partzilla.com and it was a pleasure, Others may through their favorites here.

Malossi clutch I'd buy from ebay. Many sell the vented type CHROME bell for $300 but looking now I see prices jumped. Covid19 must have affected people and they ask for more money. Seems to be a trend as of late people are price gouging.

I think Malossi make a contra spring for the b400 2007-18 also clutch mini springs you can replace on the oem. I personally would try to find the (chromed vented) bell and buy Malossi contra/mini springs but leave the oem pads. Cheapest way, imho. The oem clutch pads are fine imho. I've never had judder or slippage. I always clean the glazing off the pads and scuff the bell with low 100 grit sandpaper, sanding perpendicular to the turn.

Regarding the bearings and seals for clutch I'd go oem. Clutch pads from Malossi come with tiny springs I think they also come with 2 different ones as well for the pads to bite at an earlier rpm. Add sliders from Dr Pulley or Motoritec or Flying rollers

Ask Uncle Fester regarding his HIT clutch. Its $400 (no bell) but it seems to do the the job

Hi, I dont have many miles only 16000km but I just bought this bike and one of the previous owners was in it and obviously did not know what he/she wa doing. Two broken fins on the vented stationary variator face, broken bolt for the cover etc. I already took it apart cleaned everything up de glazed etc, installed dr puley 19g sliders, replaced the belt and it seemed great. I just did a 2300km km trip over 4 days so there was no ***** footing around. I had a wobble at low speed mostly so I removed the givi box and it fixed that, then I had a nasty vibration starting about 120kph, I removed 2oz of weights off the front rim and that made a huge difference, not sure who the hel alance that Michelin tire. Now I still have what feels like a drive train vibration and I know the belt does not turn smooth. It seems to have a bit of whip in it. It is the correct belt it's a new bando belt and had no directional markings on it. I even changed the windshield on it. So all this said, I did not pay much for this Burg so I am willing to invest a bit in it. Lol it's my third bike this year . Maybe I dont need a whole new drive assembly and I should just replace the variator. Oh yes, I can feel the belt slip as well.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
So few miles so many issues.

Replace paets needed then like contra spring finned pulley. Check seals and bearings front and back.finned pulley will vibrate at higher speeds and cause some on the crankshaft arm which isnt healthy. See you dont have play with the wheel bearings. Open clutch clean regrease with hi temp. Belt... ONLY OEM. Bando.. Meh. Not for the burgman. Maybe shittier scoots $107 gives a lot of bang for the buck. Check boss pin also. No cupping on tires?
Broken bolt ofr cover no big deal.. You have 9 others 😂🤣
Unless its the plastic one and still youll be ok. Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just upgraded with Malossi variator kit, belt, clutch, bell, contra spring.
I used dr pulley sliders and variator slides.
I got all the parts from scooter parts co
I checked, they do ship to Canada.

I got the fan face and moveable drive from partsfish
Best price I could find. But as the others said, OEM parts are everywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just upgraded with Malossi variator kit, belt, clutch, bell, contra spring.
I used dr pulley sliders and variator slides.
I got all the parts from scooter parts co
I checked, they do ship to Canada.

I got the fan face and moveable drive from partsfish
Best price I could find. But as the others said, OEM parts are everywhere.
Hi, how do you find the upgrade is working for you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, how do you find the upgrade is working for you?
My cruising speeds are about this:
70mph 5000rpm
80mph 5500rpm
90mph 6000rpm
100mph 6500rpm

No matter how hard I push it, i cant get my bike higher than 6500rpms

Now granted this is after I upgraded with Dr. Pulley 20g sliders not roller weights. Malossi variator, kevlar belt, clutch and bell and contra spring. Leo Vince exhaust.

I have done many cross state trips. I moto camp regularly with my burgy. Next summer I am planning for ocean to ocean trip.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My cruising speeds are about this:
70mph 5000rpm
80mph 5500rpm
90mph 6000rpm
100mph 6500rpm

No matter how hard I push it, i cant get my bike higher than 6500rpms

Now granted this is after I upgraded with Dr. Pulley 20g sliders not roller weights. Malossi variator, kevlar belt, clutch and bell and contra spring. Leo Vince exhaust.

I have done many cross state trips. I moto camp regularly with my burgy. Next summer I am planning for ocean to ocean trip.
any issues with leo vince, did you have to remap or just slip on and go?

·
Administrator
18,697 Posts
so no need to remap with power commander?
If you have a PowerCommander to adjust the Fuel settings then yes you may need to tweek the sitting for the little amoung of leaning out that the LV pipe may have done. But I still bet with a 'Jet Dyno' tune day, after all mods and tuning you may have gained 5 HP at what total costs?

Do these mods for looks.
Do these mods for sound.
But do not do these mods for more POWER or GAS mileage as the gains will be small. Yes you may see a difference but not enough to pay back the costs.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Where do you plan on starting out and finishing ? Duration of trip ? Return trip ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I am having a hard time finding malossi clutch and variator parts in Canada. Can someone recommend a place for me that is honest and fair, US or Canada. (I'll even cheer for a US hockey team if I have to lol).
I want to replace all variator components, including the finned fixed face, the belt and possibly the clutch, at least the contra spring. I just did a 2300km trip in4 days and want to make this bike smoother. I know the variator is not quite right. I dont know if the little springs in the clutch need changing or not. I would consider a whole new clutch, but probably not a Dr. PULEY.
Tks for and help, leads etc.
G.
update
I replaced the variator with suzuki oem, new suzuki oem belt, new Malossi clutch and bell with new yellow contra spring, 19G dr pulley sliders as well. I put it all back together, went for a ride and found it sort of lacking power. I got a really good deal on the bike which is why I did the upgades. Its also a hobby for me. Anyway, after all this, I did not not like the feel of the new set up so I sold the bike lol. Now I am looking at errr either a Piaggio 500cc or a Honda Forza NSS300A. I know swear words on here but such is life.
Thank you for all the comments, suggestions etc... took 3 weeks to get the malossi stuff here--biggest delay was at the border.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Too bad it didn't work out for you. Lotta work and $$$ expended. Better luck with the next scooter.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Look at a maxsym 600 as well.
Piaggio i wouldnt take for free.
Forza is much weaker than burgman. Its an oversized 280cc.piston on the 250cc i think and not a real 300. Rumors of a 350 but dont get excited. Its still quite weak
Consider sw 400/600. burgman 650? Thats a beast. Consider kymco downtown 350.but its not as fast in top speed as b400. I left one in the dust. Kymco ak550 is a match for tmax. Very strong. No room under the seat.
Maybe xmax 400 but the seating is VERY tight. No room to extend legs. Also sits high. Feels. Weird to lean it low vs the low b400

For me i want somethibg that does everything quite well. Good enough performance touring comfort. Great back seat. Excellent storage under seat. Great mpg. Reliable. Looks is a personal thing.
the B650 is my fantasy scoot but i get white thinking about that cvt. If i had a garage and money to work on it mmmmm

Shame with the maintenance. Something seems very off. You put all the right equipment there.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Are you saying it didn't seem to have as much power as before? Sliders should have given you better accel than stock, so the other variable is the contra spring. Do you know if it was lighter or heavier than stock?

Reactions: Rusty J and Dave_J

·
Registered
418 Posts
Are you saying it didn't seem to have as much power as before? Sliders should have given you better accel than stock, so the other variable is the contra spring. Do you know if it was lighter or heavier than stock?
agree, contra spring and final drive depending on the model year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts