Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$480 for the 3500 mile service ????????? Is my dealer trying to crew me to the wall ??

I know I reamed his ass for missing the center stand mount bolt problem, but 480.00 for the 3500 service.. OUCH !!!!

Of troops, tell me how much you paid for the 3500.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I did it myself!
Oil filter $9
2 spark plugs $8
oil $12
engine coolant topped up ..no cost had plenty around. only took a few drops.
So I spent maybe $30 in materials.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allwalk said:
I did it myself!
Oil filter $9
2 spark plugs $8
oil $12
Al

You probably have a well equipped shop and tools; I m not in a postion to do major disasembly -- but...what if I blow off the spark plug inspect this tiome and just do the fluids and chack the fasteners.

(wait till I tell you about the front axel pinch bolt fiasco)

·
Registered
135 Posts
abm

the spark plugs dont need anything till 7500 miles. i replaced mine at 7500 miles and the plugs were still good. i did the change just to keep in line with suzuki's guidelines

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
mactd83 said:
abm

the spark plugs dont need anything till 7500 miles. i replaced mine at 7500 miles and the plugs were still good. i did the change just to keep in line with suzuki's guidelines
I agree with the plugs. I only changed mine because i had them out. I keep the old ones as spares. It only calls for them to be inspected anyways.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey ABM,

At those rates, I would be making myself open to an attitude shift and make myself open to taking the time and making a place to do the work myself. Nothing urks me more than having to deal with dealerships that rip you off. Do the former out of spite.

Basically, you'll be doing an oil change (three places with the 650 so I hear...tranny, engine and rear drive). Spark plugs really don't need to be changed but inspected and checking your cooling system fluid level. Good luck with it buddie.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
abm said:
$480 for the 3500 mile service ????????? Is my dealer trying to crew me to the wall ??...
My dealer charged me the same. I later found that the software they were using included time for doing a valve job, which isn't needed on a 650.

I pointed out the error and got a $122 dollar refund.

$350+ is still a lot of money, but for those of us without tools, time, and experience it's the price we pay for having the coolest motorscooter on the planet. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Brian said:
abm said:
$480 for the 3500 mile service ????????? Is my dealer trying to crew me to the wall ??...
My dealer charged me the same. I later found that the software they were using included time for doing a valve job, which isn't needed on a 650.

I pointed out the error and got a $122 dollar refund.

$350+ is still a lot of money, but for those of us without tools, time, and experience it's the price we pay for having the coolest motorscooter on the planet. :wink:
Just a thought.
For $350 you can buy a lot of tools!
And that saving multiplies every time you do your own service.
You can have the best and most complete tool collection on earth after you do 6 or 8 services your self with all the savings garnered.

The experience you can get for nothing. :wink:
It's all here on the forum.

As for time, pick your own, not somebody elses schedule. (like the dealers)
A rainy afternoon when you can't ride etc.
Get a riding buddy to mentor you too if you have one.
Have him over for a beer, get him to show you how to do it.
Or, take it real slow, learn to do one thing at a time and pick our brains here on the forum.

Used to do all my own service on my 650 tin top years ago.
Back then it was more complicated.
You get a real feeling of accomplishment/independence when you aquire knowledge you can use over and over again

Then comes the day when you can help someone else learn.
You've arrived grasshopper! :wink:

Most of the labour on these scoots (I gather, don't have mine yet), is removing and replacing all the plastic parts)
I hate the idea of paying someone $75.00 an hour to do that.
Pretty simple stuff
Maybe I could ride the thing into the dealers for service naked! :wink:
No, the machine, not me!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Self service

allwalk said:
I did it myself!
Oil filter $9
2 spark plugs $8
oil $12
This inspires me with confidence.
Knowing there is someone a short scoot ride from me that knows how to do this. (Toronto is only about 75KM from Burlington)
Of course I am sure we will be riding together when possible too. :)
Don't forget Tobermory! :wink:

So, Allan when I get my Burg, will you show me the ropes?
(Is this info posted here in picture form somewhere?)

Big money saver.
Besides, where simple maintenance is concerned I would rather do it myself anyway.
I trust my work more than other people's.
(Something my dad taught me)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Re: Self service

lilleyen said:
You bet there are pics available. Have a browse through my gallery http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk

And of course there would be no problems what so ever in riding down to lend you a hand on any maintenance questions you may have.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
lilleyen said:
Most of the labour on these scoots (I gather, don't have mine yet), is removing and replacing all the plastic parts)
This is often overstated. Yes, removing a body panel or two is an extra step. But then you still have to do the same maintenance work that you'd be doing on any other bike.

Although the body panels on a scooter are larger, many motorcycles also have body parts that have to come off for service. My Suzuki V-Strom does. My Kawasaki Concours before it did. Most sport, sport touring, and touring bikes do have body panels. Although the body panels on my V-Strom are smaller, they are no easier or harder to remove and reinstall. Heck, to get at the air filter on the V-Strom you have to remove the gas tank! And to remove the gas tank, you first have to remove a body trim panel, and remove screws from two other body panels to loosen them. In comparison, getting at the air filter on my Burgman 650 is a piece of cake! Any dealer personnel who go "blah blah blah bodywork" when you start talking routine maintenance on your scooter, are either ignorant, inept, or setting you up for a maintenance ripoff. Removing the lower leg shield on a Burgman 650 (a panel that needs to come off for routine maintenance) is, at most, a 5 minute job. Another 5 minutes tops to replace it. And quite often, that is the only body panel that has to come off. It is just not as big of a deal as it is made out to be.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts

allwalk said:
lilleyen said:
You bet there are pics available. Have a browse through my gallery http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk

And of course there would be no problems what so ever in riding down to lend you a hand on any maintenance questions you may have.
Thanks Allan,
I really appreciate the offer.
Can't wait to start ripping it apart. :lol:

I guess if I get a new one, the first service (valve adjustment etc.), I had better just bite the bullet and have that done.
After that I'll do my own

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
pauljo said:
lilleyen said:
This is often overstated. Yes, removing a body panel or two is an extra step. But then you still have to do the same maintenance work that you'd be doing on any other bike.

It is just not as big of a deal as it is made out to be.
Thanks Paul,
I'm sure I can do that. Just fixed my wife's sewing machine, and my garage door opener today.
Do my own roofing, wiring, plumbing, carpentry, tune up computers for people etc.
Used to do all my own maintenance on my AJS 650 twin (nothing to remove on that baby).

In short I'm "handy" with things. Love to tinker, although it used to be a lot easier to bend down than it is now. :cry:
Every time I look in the mirror I wonder who that old coot is. :wink:

Glad the Burg is "step through".

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

lilleyen said:
...I guess if I get a new one, the first service (valve adjustment etc.), I had better just bite the bullet and have that done....
Just don't let whomever does it tell you it needs a valve adjustment, or even a valve inspection, at the first service.

The 650 doesn't, but some dealers' manuals say it does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts