Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed the MSF course this past weekend. That solidified my decision to get a scooter. Although I loved riding the motorcycle, I must have stalled it 100 times over the two days of riding. I had a harder time than I thought I would getting the whole clutch-gas-shifter timing thing down, and I don't have a motorcycle to practice on. I've had my heart set on the red 400 sport and found a dealer in North Carolina that has them. $4999 (bike) + $450 (dealer fees and taxes) + $500 (delivery to Ohio). Hopefully this was a good deal. It should arrive sometime next week! I can't wait - I feel like my 5 year old son on Christmas Eve!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
GRATS neodave! :D
Now maybe you can tell us how much the MSF course might possibly be advantageous to anyone who has not taken it yet or to yourself, from your perspective? :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Congrats Neodave - I understand the 'pre-christmaslike' anguish you are suffering now, but it will be worth it!

While you are waiting do not waste time - start exercising those GRIN muscles! :lol:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Newdave - as far as motorcycles go, the MSF course that you just completed, is the best investment you could have made in keeping yourself alive on a two wheeled vehicle. Personally, I think it should be a compulsory requirement before getting a motorcycle license. It would save a lot of pain & grief.

Congratulations on putting first things first! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't begin to explain how important taking the MSF course was. It was the best $25 investment I've ever made! I would agree with the statement some of you have made that it should be mandatory for every rider at some point. Not necessarily the beginner's course, but at least taking the advanced rider course as a refresher. Besides myself, there was one other rider (out of 12 people) who had never ridden before. The instructors were awesome and took the extra time to explain things to me when they saw I wasn't catching on as fast as the other riders. They even shared stories of how they almost failed the instructor test, and despite being veteran riders, had picked up a bunch of bad habits along the way. They also talked about how taking the course, and teaching it to others, has helped them to become safer riders. I would say for being a novice rider in the truest sense, the course exceeded my expectations and not only taught me the basics, but made me realize I have a long way to go. I know once my Burgie arrives, it's going to be a lot of small, local trips to build confidence up for riding in traffic. I plan on taking the scooter to the parking lot where I took the course, and because a lot of the exercises are painted on the asphalt, practicing them with my scooter so I can feel how it handles and reacts in various situations.

·
Registered
201 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Newdave - as far as motorcycles go, the MSF course that you just completed, is the best investment you could have made in keeping yourself alive on a two wheeled vehicle. Personally, I think it should be a compulsory requirement before getting a motorcycle license. It would save a lot of pain & grief.

Congratulations on putting first things first! :D
Too bad there isn't an MSF (or equiv.) course down here. :cry: :evil: :cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
neodave said:
I just completed the MSF course this past weekend. That solidified my decision to get a scooter. Although I loved riding the motorcycle, I must have stalled it 100 times over the two days of riding. I had a harder time than I thought I would getting the whole clutch-gas-shifter timing thing down, and I don't have a motorcycle to practice on. I've had my heart set on the red 400 sport and found a dealer in North Carolina that has them. $4999 (bike) + $450 (dealer fees and taxes) + $500 (delivery to Ohio). Hopefully this was a good deal. It should arrive sometime next week! I can't wait - I feel like my 5 year old son on Christmas Eve!
Congrats Neodave. I just took delivery of a stunning 400 Type S and am taking the course starting Monday. Its sleeping comfortably and I am chomping at the bit. Its a 3 day course here in NY which includes 18 total hours (2 full days on bikes + 5hrs in the classroom) and it reduces my insurance by 10% just like I'm taking a DMV Defensive driving course.

Your post further enhances my excitement about this adventure.
I've driven modes, medium scooters and manual tranny cars but virtually no experience with s shifter on a motorbike. I've also waited almost 20 years since my last bike a scooter I had in college.

I am ready now to realize a childhood dream the mature seaoned way.
That red color sure fires up the adrenals though I must say.

I am really looking forwrd to it like a kid going away to camp.
Understand your feelings. Many years of happy safe riding.

Dream Chaser

·
Registered
17 Posts
neodave said:
Congrats Neodave. I just took delivery of a stunning 400 Type S and am taking the course starting Monday. Its sleeping comfortably and I am chomping at the bit. Its a 3 day course here in NY which includes 18 total hours (2 full days on bikes + 5hrs in the classroom) and it reduces my insurance by 10% just like I'm taking a DMV Defensive driving course.

Your post further enhances my excitement about this adventure.
I've driven modes, medium scooters and manual tranny cars but virtually no experience with s shifter on a motorbike. I've also waited almost 20 years since my last bike a scooter I had in college.

I am ready now to realize a childhood dream the mature seaoned way.
That red color sure fires up the adrenals though I must say.

I am really looking forwrd to it like a kid going away to camp.
Understand your feelings. Many years of happy safe riding.

Dream Chaser

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bill said:
To PRicoO2

Check out this site. It might be what your looking for.

http://www.endosruedaspr.com/

Bill
Just e-mailed them about their classes. They answered back that they base theirs on MSF courses. Sweet. Thanks Bill for the link. :D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Congrats on the completion of the course and the purchase of the 400.

Share some pictures when you get it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations Dave. I have the 400S and love my Burgman beyond belief. I had never ridden either (actually had never driven a car either - my main form of transportation had been my bicycle), but from riding two-up with a friend last year got bitten by the bug, took a course, and since July have put 4000 km on my shiny red scooter.

I empathize with the shifting problems at your course. I had the same problem - I completed my course in early July, but didn’t pass, mainly because of the shifting difficulties and stalling during the test :oops: . However, I was offered a retest for the end of August - which I did take and passed no problem. We only had about 1 ½ hours to practice, but I found that since this time I only had to concentrate on operating the clutch and shifting gears as a “new thing” - it was much easier this time. Though of course riding the Burgman400 won’t help you practice shifting gears, it does give you the feel for riding a motorcycle and how it reacts - you do learn to “feel” when different gears kick in. For me, one of the most exciting moments was when I could feel that that ‘nanoo’ second just before my bike actually moved (okay - I live a dull life), but actually quite a useful ability, because it lets you give just enough throttle in stop and go traffic that you don’t always have to put your feet down, without running into the vehicle ahead of you.

Surprisingly I found lots of things I liked about shifting gears myself, as well as the riding position and handling on the motorcyle. In fact, I’m thinking of supplementing my Burgie with a midsize standard or sport bike next year. Now don’t take that to mean I regret getting my Burgman or that I’m planning on shelving it - absolutely not. It is a perfect commuting machine - and lots of fun out on the twisties too - and the biggest drawback to it is that its hard to get out of parking lots or gas stations quickly - it attracts a lot of attention and questions - and I haven’t experienced any of the “negative” or “look down” attitude I thought I might get from the Harley/cruiser guys - in fact the comments have all been positive, though I describe it as a scooter, when they look at the speedometer and see the speeds it can do, I always hear “sweetheart (no I don’t take offence to that) - that’s a motorcycle”. And I also hear it doesn’t matter what it is, the important thing is that it’s a bike and you are riding - have to agree with that one too.

I guess I just want to have my cake and eat it too - and why not???
:wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jcherubini:

My class was structured exactly like yours is. 4 hours classroom & 12 hours riding. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Sounds like we're in the same situation, so I'm anxious to swap stories in the future.

PattiP:

I'm so glad you posted. One of my main concerns about getting a scooter was the type of reaction I'd get from traditional bikers. I'm happy to hear that you've had more questions and positive comments from people than negative ones. I don't intend to do a lot of group riding, since I don't know that many people that own motorcycles, so I'll mostly be a "loner" when it comes to cruising around. That doesn't really bother me though, because part of the reason I'm getting the scooter is to be able to just go out and ride, clear my head, and release stress. Hopefully, I'll be approached with the same positive reactions that you've encountered. I'm definitely proud to be a Burgman owner, and like you said, it's still a bike - and why should I be made to feel guilty because I don't ride a traditional bike. Once my 400S arrives and I've had a chance to ride it, I'm sure I'll have some questions that you may be able to answer for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And besides, since I'm the designer of the website logo, how could I justify getting a traditional motorcycle - I would feel like I'm betraying my fellow BurgmanUSA members!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts