Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to tell you guys this story that actually happened months ago but I was too busy riding to take time to post. I had just got my brand new '03 650 and was going for a ride. I pulled out from a convenience store and realized that my left turn light was green so I gunned it through the turn and drove at the legal limit up the street, I had noticed the cop car sitting at the red light waiting for their light to change but had no reason to fear them. (I thought) I glance in my rear view mirror (1.5 blocks later) to see the patrol car flying up behind me... so I put on my signal and pull to the right lane and he follows me and hits the lights.... oh crap! I pull into a parking lot and turn it off. There were two of them, one walks up and asks for my license and ins. I gave him both, I asked him why he pulled me over and he sd for running that red light back there. ( the very one they were sitting at. they had to wait for it to change to come after me!) I know that one never really wins an argument with a police officer so I just shut up and waited for them to run my license etc. After he calls it in he comes back up to me and they both start in with all the questions... "Is that really a 650?", ......" I didn't know they made scooters that big, is it fast?" etc. etc. I quickly realized they just pulled me over to look at my bike! I enthusiasticly answered all their questions (you know how we get..lol, it is my baby.) my license came back warrant free and he let me go with the warning that I had to go get my motorcycle endorsement on my license. (I feigned total ignorance cause I hadn't wanted to brave the lines at the DMV, I deserved the Oscar for my performance!) So I went and got it the next day and now I'm perfectly legal. I was kinda glad he didn't ask me to open the glove box and see the .45 tucked into the right side. I have my concealed weapons permit, it's legal, but who needs the drama of that moment a cop spots a gun, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gunrun,
Had a similar pull over. Turns out the officer was a bike cop trapped in a cage. He just had to check out the scoot.
Just a thought, in Michigan, you have to announce to the office that you have a carry permit and that you are carrying a weapon. The weapon can be confiscated during the traffic stop, then returned when all is cool.
If he finds a weapon with out you telling him up front, it will be big trouble.
Just a thought.
Happy riding :D !
Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
gunrun69 said:
I was kinda glad he didn't ask me to open the glove box and see the .45 tucked into the right side. I have my concealed weapons permit, it's legal, but who needs the drama of that moment a cop spots a gun, right?
I don't know about your state, but where I live you have to inform them (law enforsement) that you are carrying concealed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Red Eagle said:
gunrun69 said:
I was kinda glad he didn't ask me to open the glove box and see the .45 tucked into the right side. I have my concealed weapons permit, it's legal, but who needs the drama of that moment a cop spots a gun, right?
I don't know about your state, but where I live you have to inform them (law enforsement) that you are carrying concealed.
Actually I see that you are in Tulsa. Oklahoma law states that you have to inform law enforcement upon contact that you are carrying concealed.
If they had discovered the weapon without you informing them you could lose your permit, be fined or both. It might be a good idea to read the statutes that was provided with your application. I would hate to see one of my fellow CCW holders in trouble because of such a simple thing. :wink:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know the law, I was grandfathered in for the permit, I am C.L.E.E.T. certified like our cops here. I was an armed security officer for years. I didn't have to take the course to get my license, just paid the $ and got fingerprinted again. I keep my pistol in the locking glove box, if the officer would have asked me to open it I would have informed him there was a gun in there before I opened it. Like I said before, who needs the drama.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Captainfish, I'm not sure if you are talking about the motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license which I hadn't gotten yet, or my Concealed Carry Weapons permit which I did have at the time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
gunrun69 said:
my license came back warrant free and he let me go with the warning that I had to go get my motorcycle endorsement on my license. (I feigned total ignorance cause I hadn't wanted to brave the lines at the DMV, I deserved the Oscar for my performance!) So I went and got it the next day and now I'm perfectly legal.
I was asking about how you got your endorsement? I thought OK had a driving test for the M/C endorsement? Did you get the temporary version?
OK M/C Operators Manual On page 40 it says there is a driving component to the test.

Just wanting to make sure you knew and were not surprised a month to 90 days from now when the temporary endorsement expired. It just sounded like you thought you got the full-fledged endorsement.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, you misunderstood, I knew I was supposed to get my motorcycle endorsement to legally ride my 650, I just hadn't gone and gotten it yet. I was riding without it. That was the whole point of the story about my acting job, acting ignorant of the whole Motorcycle Endorsement thing. It's only been that way here for a few years, it used to be that as long as you were at least 16 and had a regular drivers license, you were legal to ride any bike.
And they do have a driving test and a written test to get your motorcycle endorsement on your license, I missed what that had to do with anything, (sorry, not being smart, just don't get it) And as far as I know there is no temporary motorcycle license. If there is, it isn't mentioned in the book or by anyone I ever talked too. Again I'm not tryin to be a wiseguy, just a little confused. :?

·
Registered
553 Posts
temp licence

gunrun69 said:
And as far as I know there is no temporary motorcycle license. If there is, it isn't mentioned in the book or by anyone I ever talked too. Again I'm not tryin to be a wiseguy, just a little confused. :?
There is a temporary licence for motorcycles now in ok. Here's the deal.
you can get this temporary licence to legally ride a motorcycle but you have to keep it for six months. You cannot take the regular test untill that six months is up. This is for people who are learning to ride so that they can be on the road legally and it gives them time to learn to ride before they take the test for the endorsment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts