Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K7 (Canadian?) 650 executive's ODOMETER (not speedometer) reads in MILES. Is it possible to convert the readout to KILOMETERS? Note: previous threads on this topic seem to confuse the odometer and speedometer. The Owners manual shows how to change the speedometer readout, but not the Odometer.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
My K7 (Canadian?) 650 executive's ODOMETER (not speedometer) reads in MILES. Is it possible to convert the readout to KILOMETERS? Note: previous threads on this topic seem to confuse the odometer and speedometer. The Owners manual shows how to change the speedometer readout, but not the Odometer.
Canada go to metric system in 1978-1979, very surprise by this. I never hear of Burgie in mile in Canada unless it use machine import from USA as one person I know do.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Dunno, but if the odo reads miles it is definitely NOT a Canadian bike - they went metric donkey's years ago (1977, 3 years after OZ/NZ).

·
Registered
153 Posts
not 100% sure but when you change one to KM they both change(speedometer and odometer. I think I have had my odometer read in km at one point in time. I remember because I looked at the odometer and wondered why I had so many miles on it and saw that the readout was in km not miles and switched back and the mileage was back to normal. Look at the odometer when you change the readout to km you will see a change in the mileage.

·
Registered
81 Posts
+ 1 with Mr. Wick

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tried it on my 2012 today and both speedo and odo go to KM at the same time. My bike has 6300 miles and it jumps up to 10000km when its changed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried it on my 2012 today and both speedo and odo go to KM at the same time. My bike has 6300 miles and it jumps up to 10000km when its changed.
I tried to change miles to kms twice today on my K7 but the ODOMETER didn't change; only the SPEEDO! This K7 was bought 'new' from a Suzuki dealer in NZ in 2009 and was said to be one of six 650's imported as a "surplus job-lot" from Canada. Displaying miles is a nuisance, but not insurmountable; just divide miles by 5 and multiply by 8 to convert to kms. Incidentally, both trip meters display Miles.
Beautiful bike anyway; a real 'mile-eater'. My thanks to all who commented.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 03 650 is ex USA. The speedo and odo both read in miles. I managed to get the speedo to read in kilometers/hour just fine but can find no way to get the odomoter to read in kilometers.

Shavian, if you're ever near Tauranga, be sure to holler. Maybe we can share a few miles and tales together

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Toa; Rarely get down Tauranga way, in fact we try to avoid going south to miss that dreadful Southern Motorway! But if I do head towards BOP I'll let you know. I generally ride with my buddy (400 Burg); we completed a 3/4 day trip to Cape Reinga recently, and have in mind doing the "Gentle Annie" from Taihape to Napier - likely before summer ends?
I'm convinced there is no way to change the ODOMETERS to kms, (Speedos, yes) at least not on the pre-08 bikes. I'd like to be proven wrong on this one! Bryan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks Bryan. Hope you do get down this way. There's usually a spare bed at our place for travelling motorcyclists. I'm off south on Wednesday. Doing a short loop around the top of the South Island (Blenheim, Hokitika, Akaroa, Kaikoura are the nightly stops. Should be fun, about six bikes in total (I'm the only Burger). Next year it'll be a North Island jaunt if you care to join us (we alternate between the Nth and Sth islands each year. Alan

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Alan;That SI trip sounds inviting!; will keep it in mind. We might do a trip to Ngatea in the foreseeable future (just a day). Would you be able to meet us there for a coffee? (The road over the Kaimai range to Matamata should be good on the bike? My email is <[email protected]> or txt me on 021.878.399. regards, Bryan

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is definitely not the case on my '03. Speedometer is km/h and odometer is miles. Verified with mileposts on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Somewhere along the way (no, not the Trace) Suzuki must have changed the firmware.

Sad, because you got my hopes up of maybe having bought a bike with lower miles. ;) Nope, it really is 26,500 miles, not 16,400.

For posterity and for anyone searching for how to make the change from MPH to km/h or vice versa, the owner's manual says to hold the Reset button for two seconds.

Tangentially related question: would it be possible to install a later instrument panel in an earlier model? I'm thinking I might eventually try to find a wrecked (or dead ECVT) specimen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have an 09 Canadian 650. It reads kilometers. There is no way to change it to miles. It seems to me to be colossally stupid, since we are adjacent to the USA. We ride there and are forced to convert on the fly. American riders coming to Canada have to do the same thing. It is stupid that Burgmans sold in both countries cannot be converted back and forth. </rant>

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's called market segmentation, and allows Suzuki to maintain different prices on the USA and Canada markets.

I good (or bad, from the consumer's point of view) example are region codes on DVD movies. A DVD meant for the US market can't be played on premium-brand DVD players and even PC's sold in Europe, and blockbusters don't come on European DVD's until many months or a year after the USA premiere, and then they cost at least 3 times US retail.

As a permanent solution, a Speedohealer could be used, it's a standard function in them, but you would have to separate the speed signal to the CVT-controller, otherwise you'd be riding around with raging high revs (km to miles conversion) or you'd bog down the engine as soon as you started moving (miles to km conversion)

Either way, your oil change interval indicator would be completely wrong and your fuel mileage gage would read kilometers per gallon or miles per liter or even liters per 100 miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts