Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride in both Florida and Kentucky and often see groups of 5 or more motorcycles ridding together, especially on weekends. I find it odd that I have never seen a group of scooters riding together. Are we just all individuals and like to ride alone or is it that we know so few others that also ride scooters? I know scooter clubs do exist, but I never see them on the road. What's up with this?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
We've got lots of scooter rides in Los Angeles, but they're around town. To do those bigger rides, you need Maxis and they're just not that many around. I can count maybe three dozen in Los Angeles that I know of. And the city has 3M people, the county 18M. Obviously theres more than I personally know, but its not a big percentage of bikers.

But, I do have a group of Maxi guys I ride with. Went to NV, Death Valley, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara so far this year. It's great getting out in the open road with a bunch of scooters. We get questions...

View attachment 27762

Between us, we have 12 maxis, so the mix is always changing. Plus others some times join along. It's a lot of fun!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
There is a group of us Maxi Scooter riders here in the Dallas area that ride together just about every weekend. The number varies from sometimes just a couple of us to sometimes a half dozen or so. Usually it is just Maxi Scoots but sometimes other type bikes join in. This was taken 3 weeks ago when 3 of us on 650s and a forth rider on a Harley road to a meetup with a bunch of other riders in a little town about a 100 miles southwest of here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Nine of us (3 Burgman 650s, three 400s, two 600 Silverwings, and a Piaggio 350) just rode 1,100 miles together all over Colorado over five days. An invite was posted more than once on BUSA. Our group included riders from Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Nebraska and, Alberta, Canada. I thought I would post during the ride but, need time to organize and edit what I've got. However, I agree this is the exception. We saw a few individual scoots on the road but, were the only group.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think it just might be a rarity thing. I own the only 650 Burgman that I am aware of in my local riding area. There is a guy that has a 400 in a town that is about a half hour away and we have met but our personalities just didn't mesh so we wave when we see each other but don't ride together.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
There is a scooter club called the royal b'stards (' = a ) scooter club.that ride at least once a month here in sac. I used to ride my 125 on the rides which weren't just around town , they also meet once a month , they had burgies , Vespas and all sorts. Sometimes 30 odd riders rode.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There is a scooter club called the royal b'stards (' = a ) scooter club.that ride at least once a month here in sac. I used to ride my 125 on the rides which weren't just around town , they also meet once a month , they had burgies , Vespas and all sorts. Sometimes 30 odd riders rode.
There are lots of scooter clubs, but most limit their riding to off freeway (ie around town). For open highway, you need maxis and those are a lot more rare.

There was a burgman group down in San Diego, but I don't think they ride much anymore. At least they didn't when I wrote to their leader a year ago for Ameivespa.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have a group here in St. Louis that gets together once a week for a short ride and dinner. We have everything from 49cc to harleys although maxis predominate. From time to time, there are longer and twistier rides on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This side of the pond we have group ride outs regularly all over the country. My last ride out was with 25 other maxis from 250's to 500cc Tmax's but mostly 400 Burgmans. Must admit when out riding in a big group it does look quite impressive. I suspect you guys in the States are going through what we went through some years ago when maxi's were slow to take off. They still are a growing minority here but with new big maxi's on the scene such as the Sym Maxsym 600i etc even more people are taking an interest and dumping their bikes for maxi scooters.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There's a fairly big (8-15) group of scootists who ride from Biff Burgers' in St Petersburg every Thursday night at 6. It's a big motorcycle hangout with great food. Found them through http://www.meetup.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am part of an eclectic group of bikers in the Grants Pass, Oregon area who call ourselves the Sons of Dementia. Ages go from about 63 to 77. The group includes another Burgie owner (2014 650 and 400) and assorted metric bikes from 400 cc to 1300. We get together a couple of times a week for breakfast year round. In good weather we ride all over SW Oregon and N California with infrequent jaunts further afield. Most rides are 90 - 130 miles and 200+ is not uncommon. Groups of 2-4 are most common but occasionally goes to as many as 8. The 77 yr old Burg 650/400 rider is one of the best riders in a group with a few hundred thousand miles of experience and neither of us has any trouble keeping up with the group, especially in the twisties. We prefer to ride on the many miles of good paved roads available other than Interstate 5.

·
Registered
47 Posts
riding in North GA

We ride with a couple of local motorcycle groups and they do not seem to mind our "scooters". We have Gold wings, Harley's, BMWs, big bike, small bikes, old bikes, trikes and just about anything you can think of. Both groups just love to ride in the north Ga mountains.

North Georgia Motorcycles has a web site and our Coosa Biker group is a local community group and none of us have any issues riding with them on our "scooters".

We can keep up with them on the straightaways and in the twisties, get as good gas mileage, and can carry more luggage and it is a lot easier than shifting all the time. We have gone 2 up on my 650 and as singles on my 650 and her 400. Lots of fun!

I also subscribe to a Scooter group in Atlanta but have not gone on a ride with them yet because they are too far from where I am.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here in the UK as stated you do see groups of mainly bikers going round together. I was cut up by one the other night leading a group of power rangers (Sports Bike) only mistake he made was he had to give it far more to go passed the Big B as I was properly overtaking a wagon, but the Kwak rider started to run out of road as there was a nice sweeping right hander coming up, the power ranger was going into the bend too hot and too tight and within a nano second the big Burg swept past lent over nicely and toddled off safely into the blue yonder. The power rangers then veined Speed Camera Fear and all trundled in a huddle at less than the speed limit to let the Arse Kicking Burg slip away unnoticed. I did not race this Dick head I stuck to my line and legitimate overtake, he overtook the wagon whilst I was infront going passed the same wagon.

I suppose my point is this unless forced to I prefer riding on my own and my wife as pillion. Last year (First and last) went on a local group tour to the Alps(French) and within 48 hours I was bollocking the group organiser in front of 20 cohorts for failing to grip loony riding in lovely French Villages , so loony infact a capable rider on a Multi Strada turned back home within a day as the pace and craziness of the riding got too much for him.

Group riding must be good if systems and sense are followed not the Red Mist !

WM

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree wisemonkey, traveling in packs isn't fun. It's dangerous and has no meaning. 20 humans on their own plan just don't work!

What's there to talk about anyhow!

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Uh, I think I got all that.

Group rides can be great fun. I lead them often. But yes, they can be a bit motley at times, at both ends of the skill set.

the most fun is a small group of like-minded riders, with similar skills, riding, destination and route preferences. If you're lucky enough to cull a group like this together, it makes for some great days and comradre .

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Some of us are odder than others. :)

Part of the difficulty with group scooter activities is that most scooters aren't freeway capable, limiting the area from which you can draw participants. Maxi-scooters don't have that constraint, but they're limited by their relative scarcity.

Motorcycles are almost always freeway capable, and are much more common. So, it's not surprising that groups of motorcyclists are more common than groups of scooter riders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts