Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2012 650 Exec with just over 3,000 miles. Tonight was the first time that I heard an odd sound coming from under the service lid when I would switch from D to M or engage the Power mode. Now obviously I could only hear this at low rpm's but I'm assuming it's doing it all the time when I switch. I wouldn't call it a grind but it sounds kind of like something being shifted from gear to gear...I know...it's hard to explain. I have never heard this before and just wondering what the Burgmaniacs think.

Thanks,
Coz

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
There is a whining sound that is made when one switches driving modes. I always come to a full stop before making the switch so I always hear it.

You are fine as long as you can go through the gears without any issues. It's basically the gearing system/CVT realighing itself and adapting to the
selected driving mode.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks LeDude...I guess I never switched from D to M when stopped so it kind of caught me off guard.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Light squealing noise as the pulleys adjust and belt retensions, normal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MJR said:
Light squealing noise as the pulleys adjust and belt retensions, normal.
Spot on!

late,
Coz

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
When you push the power button, a sharp pointed stick pokes the second hamster on it's wheel under the seat, waking it up and making it run. The 400's only have 1 hamster, sorry Daboo.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine makes a similar noise at stop - shifting from D to M or D to Power.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I will have to listen to that.. My normal switch from D to M happens at about 70 MPH on the interstate.. Happens almost every day.. should I only do this when stopped? Will it damage the transmission at that speed?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Noth said:
Happens almost every day.. should I only do this when stopped? Will it damage the transmission at that speed?
It takes a shorter time to adjust at speed, in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter this is what it does by design.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was moving my bike today in my driveway and switched from D to M and back a few times.. there is a small pained sound when I do that.. like something is being pushed into place..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noth said:
I was moving my bike today in my driveway and switched from D to M and back a few times.. there is a small pained sound when I do that.. like something is being pushed into place..
That's a great way to describe the sound...

late,
Coz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts