Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me friends, has anyone sensed a sort of "burning" rubber or plastic smell eminating from their exhaust? I went for a ride in the cold and wet yesterday and each time I came to a stop I got this waft of smouldering synthetics in my lid. What is with that?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I had a similar problem when my 650 was brand new but it went away quickly after I got some miles on the bike. I noticed an odor when I took the bike off of the showroom floor and went for a test ride. When I got back I asked my salesman about it and he said all the Burgmans do it.
Apparently, it is coatings on some of the new components in the engine/exhaust system that burn-off during normal operational temps. Mine lasted less than 100 miles or so.
Don

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
On occasion I smell it on my 400 when I get off it in the garage after a long ride. I think its the belt that gets pretty hot and emitting that rubber odor. Used to get it also on a Reflex....so don't think its anything to worry about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
odd odour

I had a similar smell from my '03 650 at about 8500 miles that turned out to be a dragging rear brake. Apparently, one of the pistons would not retract- entire rear brake caliper was replaced under warrenty. You might check for ease of rotation at the rear wheel when on the center stand-also see if rear wheel turns at about 7-8 MPH with engine at idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same thing with my new Burgman with only 4km on the clock.
I think it's just that new bike smell as it's allready going away and Iv'e only travelled 160km.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yeah - its normal!

Well at least my 400 Olde Burg whiffs of rubber, only really noticeable if I garage it hot.

I was concerned about it when I first had the Burg but the maxiscoot group assured me it was OK and to think of the benefit of the heat (gets the rear tyre nice and warm very quickly. :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same smell

I also sensed a sort of "burning" rubber or plastic smell, only I'm not sure it is eminating from the exhaust.
I have '03 650 at about 7200 km's.
The smell started with the first rain and the first cold last week, and I haven't sensed it during the summer.
I can't tell what is the reason yet, but I hope nothing is burning in there :violent3:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts