Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best octane for my new Burgman 650? 87...89(10%Ethanol) or 91? or does it make a difference?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
i use the cheap stuff. that bothers my car, but my 650 seems to do fine. no discernable pinging or anything like that so far.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
You'll get different answers - there have been several threads on this. But my 650 runs fine on any of the octanes. I usually run the 87 octane regular. The 89 octane ethanol spiked fuel is actually a bit cheaper in this state. I usually avoid it for both my cars and motorcycles though. The manuals all say you can use it, but I am unsure of the long term effects of running ethanol through the fuel injectors & engine. A minority of riders do believe that they see a small increase in performance or mileage with higher octanes, but I haven't seen that myself.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
The factory service manual states: "Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 87 pump octane (R+M/2) or 91 octane or higher rated by the research method. Gas containing MTBE, less than 10% ethanol, or less than 5% methanol with appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitor is permissible."
I use 87 octane and the 650 runs just fine.

Don

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
It may vary a bit depeding on brand and location, but 87 octane should be fine. I'd start with that and then bump up a step at a time if you don't think it's performing as it should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts