Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now 25,000 miles on 2 new Burgmans and follows are some comments/observvations/comparisons. First Burgman was traded on 3rd time engine out---good dealer/good shop---probably manufacturing defect---dealership finally got it fixed/money back from Suzuki, shop people rode it around for a year or so-----finally sold to a guy that could not handle 3 wheeler (in the weeds) h e put the Burgman in the weeds within a week, too.

I look at scooters as experienced motorcyclist/all weather rider/ride every day. My total miles exceed 1.5 million. I have had a scooter on the side since 1968, started riding 1955. Recent years, new TMAX/ReFlex/SilverWing,past at least 4 Vespa/4 Helix and the best scooter owned (in Korea) Daelim 125 (new) came with 360 degree bumper, rack, top box and with Puig windshield---this scooter seemed unbreakable and trouble free---wide open all the time hurt nothing=65mph top down hill/tailwind.Service great and fair price great in Korea.

My new Burgman has been reliable @ 15,000 miles---do own work, zero warranty claims-----biggest problem poor wind management (buffeting) and to a degree poor handling comparing to TMAX or SilverWing 600----reason design, same as '47 Vespa....engine/drive train all go up and down together-lots of unsprung weight---also I find extreme rear weight bias and sensitive to tire selection.

Fuel mileage: Burgman excellent/great. fast doesn't seem to make much difference--better than Helix!

Underseat storage: Burgman wins Negative effect of Givi Box: Both TMAX and Silverwing work better with top box.....ease of working on--Burgman wins
Seating position: TMAX is best!Lower bars are the secret, SilverWing and Burgman about same---wear no underwear and 500 mile days no problem. Performance/sporty: TMAX----SilverWing and Burgman are old Buicks.

Air Management: SilverWing best, GIVI adjustable windshield/Baker Air wings. TMAX worst regardless of screen---Burgman I cannot get right--GIVI adjustable/stock/Saeng stuff/ 7JuRock=equals best for look over but still buffeting/spillover/lots of air on inner elbow and wrists----my base line for comparison BMW with Heinrich fairing/legshield combo or in today's world Honda NT 700V---my need is look over, comfort with 3/4 helmet/safety glasses and foam ear plugs (actually hate them), All day comfort is what I look for.
I will ride my Burgman another 30,000 miles and then?? 250 fine with me, Helix great---think trunk, ease of working on, parking lot valve adjustment---but the usual buffeting because , same for all Japanese---your nose is too far from tip of shield. If Honda still made Helix for our market, I get one. Based on past Vespa experience----no buffeting!! but poor/no dealership network in US....high price----but they are fun to ride and the new 300 goes well...but I sit on my money. Last:riding in mountains. HELIX best, because you can load drive line with throttle, control speed with wonderful foot brake---never worry about drive line dis-engaging----Burgman ok, as rear brake works by self------Linked brakes make this technique hard/dangerous

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don't have experience with Silver Wing, my neighbor just bought a used one so I will probably help him at some point.
I test drove Burgers 650 and 400. The 400 has to be the best-kept secret in the land of 2 wheels.
Am so glad I didn't buy the more complex, harder-to-work-on, more complex, more expensive, heavier, and more complex 650. Good grief, a gear train?!?!?!
Owned this 400 since July, can do its maintenance with my eyes shut :D
It's all you need.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Oh yeah, my back hurt after medium to long rides on the 400, once I concocted a back rest, it is much better. Photo TBA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts