Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some where on this site I read about an O ring that works like a " cruise control "? I went to my Suzuki dealer and asked about it. He said he never heard about it. The only O ring I've ever heard about was for plumbing. Can anybody enlighten me what is this O ring and how does it work and where do you find it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I happened to have written it down. It's a #15 O ring. I believe you would have to get this from a plumbing supply place. It is not a Suzuki accessory. Just a cheap and effective way of getting throttle lock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only problem with O ring cruise control is that _ heaven forbid_ you come off your burgman the engine is going to screan it's nuts of. If you're unable to kill it you could cause serious damage as when the scooter is on it's side the engine cannot pick oil up.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ian said:
The only problem with O ring cruise control is that _ heaven forbid_ you come off your burgman the engine is going to screan it's nuts of. If you're unable to kill it you could cause serious damage as when the scooter is on it's side the engine cannot pick oil up.
Same with any throttle lock if you do not manually close the throttle or disengage the lock - or hit the kill switch. No difference at all between the o-ring and a Throttlemeister as far as this issue goes.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Oh do not be concerned that the Suzuki dealer did not know about it - they know JS!!

What is about these guys do they have no professional pride? Whatever happened to knowing about the goods you sell? You sort of expect it in electronic goods stores where the spotty youth is a complete dork but the attitude must be contageous.

If I was a dealer principle I would positively encourage my team to become active members of forums and would expect a couple of killer facts from each of them at team briefings each day! :evil:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ian said:
That's the down side, all right. I have a "Throttle Rocker" on my Nomad. If I let go of the throttle, the engine slows. It allows me to move my hand around, but doesn't allow the mobility of a throttle lock. Pluses and minuses to both, I guess.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
I work in a Chevy dealership and there is some kind of recall on Trailblazer taillamp O-ring seals which is made of an orange silicone. We throw away dozens of these a week so I have a handful of them on hand. I use one for a throttle lock and it still allows me to rotate the throttle without too much effort. You must not allow it to slip completely between the grip and housing or you may never get it out without an angled pick. I also use a throttle rocker along with it to keep my carpal tunnel from acting up on long rides - works great! Now all you have to do is dumpster-dive at your local Chevy dealer's dumpster and retrieve some :lol:.

Eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
What about SAFETY ?

Most of the roads are not empty (fact of life) so you have to deal with other motorists..
and if you fall ??
Unlike cruise control it does not release while brakes are applied.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Has anyone tried to install this cruise control? What seems to be nice about this one is that a tap on the front brake will disengage the cruise control. Or you can hit the off button: BrakeAway Products Motorcycle Cruise Control

I posted on another posting about the brakeaway. This one WILL let you disengage with a brake tap.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Spunkysquid wrote
Has anyone tried to install this cruise control? What seems to be nice about this one is that a tap on the front brake will disengage the cruise control. Or you can hit the off button:
While the idea of a quick release by tapping the brake is fine,
just remember that this is not a cruise control even if they choose to call it that.
It is a throttle lock, not cruise control.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yes, and at $200, it is the most expensive throttle lock on the market... With a $40 Nep or VistaCruise, a flip of your thumb will disengage the lock. And with any throttle lock, you can quickly twist the throttle closed even when the lock is engaged. I don't think this unit will sell well at all.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'd be a lot more inclined to spend a $100 on the Audiovox than $200 on the BrakeAway.

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I called brake-away they told me they did not make it for the 400

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cat O-ring

I used Cat 0-ring for a throttle lock for a couple of months this summer. Great on Highway,but you HAVE to remember the throttle is locked and when you come to the stop sign,start rolling that throttle down with your hand. I forgot one time and was reminded when I tapped the brake and engine just kept on going at constant speed. Got the throttle rocker installed for Christmas and going to try that for a while. With O-ring you just have to be aware at all times like all cruise controls I guess. Just my opinion? :?

Helix

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I stopped by a Lowe's in Florida and picked up http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Stu-in-Texas/Burgring1[click for larger pic] this #15 o-ring in their plumbing repair aisle. $1.49 for 5 of them. I took off the (med. size) metal keyring from my key and carefully (so not to nick the o-ring) put it on! I just had to remember to throttle down but it easily allows throttle changes yet 'holds' the throttle whereever you leave it.
1 possible solution I contemplated for the possibility of being knocked of your bike and having the throttle 'stick' rather than idle down is making a 'deadman leash' (like on a watercraft) that connects to your body so it pulls the o-ring off (or breaks it) if you are suddenly dismounted. I considered attaching to right glove but this eliminates you from being able to remove the glove from the throttle and there-by reducing the effectiveness. I think a d-ring attached around the knee would be a good place. Your mileage MAY differ? :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
NormanB wrote (snipped)
If I was a dealer principle I would positively encourage my team to become active members of forums and would expect a couple of killer facts from each of them at team briefings each day!
Norman, you ever open a dealership you would get rich :!: :!:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Why all the concern with any cruise or throttle lock device if you fall off. God forbid if I fall off or get into a finder bender and I go down I sure don't give a dam about if the engine is running or not, my concern will be my safety anyway I do not want this bike after it falls that is why you pay for insurance so you can get it replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went to our local Chase Pitkin hardware store and purchased 4 #15 O-rings for $.29 each. They work great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts