Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I prepare to extend drive belt life, need proper nut size for front pulley, pls. I will be carrying spare belt/tools in the event of roadside failure----fix it yourself is the way it always been done.....today's era of people in white tennis shoes/trailer biking don't have a clue....nor do their own tire work. I am also aware of cell phone and credit card being nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think it's 24 mm, if I remember from Mitch video. Which is really close to 15/16. Also IIRC both pulley nuts are 24 mm.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
24 mm it is-taken from video. Thanks. When new belt arrives it and the socket/breaker bar/Motion PRO PULLEY holder will be on board.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
John, I'm all for being prepared, but that's prolly overkill isn't it? Never ever heard of a Burgman 400 breaking a belt on the road. I wouldn't think that would happen unless it was totally ignored for 25k miles or more. However, if it makes you feel more confortable...then that's a good thing. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I just did a complete inspection and cleaning of the variator and CVT thingies.
Wow it would be a challenge to do this at a roadside. :shock:
For one thing, I had to buy a 120v impact wrench. Impossible to hold the front assembly while loosening the 24mm nut.
Used some 1x4's and stood on the clutch hub to open it, to insert the belt, yet something else you wouldn't have on the road.

Good luck and good riding!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Oh never mind........!!!! I thought that the OP whose name is "front pulley".....was asking about my - nut size......!!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
mike1nw said:
I just did a complete inspection and cleaning of the variator and CVT thingies.
Wow it would be a challenge to do this at a roadside. :shock:
For one thing, I had to buy a 120v impact wrench. Impossible to hold the front assembly while loosening the 24mm nut.
Used some 1x4's and stood on the clutch hub to open it, to insert the belt, yet something else you wouldn't have on the road.

Good luck and good riding!
The tools that Suzuki sells for this, or that others have made would work fine for a roadside repair. They'll hold the variator or clutch in place so you can get good torque on the nut. Then bring along a socket wrench, torque wrench and the belt. You'd need the small sockets too for the cover, but that would be easy to do.

So with some prior planning, it can be done.

Chris

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Don't forget the 2 bolts needed to get th aluminum cvt cover off after the small bolts have been removed. I forgot the size but will post a pic later.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
two bolts M8 x 1.25, length 50 mm, all-thread should work. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unless you are going on a round the world tour there is no need to even think about replacing a belt on the road. Just for my own information I let the belt in our 08 run from new to over 25000 miles. Yes the RPMs were about 900 rpm higher than when new but the gas milage didn't really change more than 3 mpg and the variator face showed minimal wear. The valves were still within specification and have yet to need adjusting. I only replaced the belt and cleaned and regreased the variator. There was no damage or scoring evident on the weights. On my 04, which is on its third belt, I have replaced the belt each time at the 20,000 mile mark and they were always still within specification. I did repalce the front variator at 40,000 miles along with the weights and the rear drive carrier bearing in the outer CVT housing with a more robust driveline sealed bearing. The weights were gouged but did not cause any problem as the bike ran fine where as the carrier bearing had started to go bad due to all of the wet weather driving I have done. I always replace the front bearings when I put on a new tire for the same reason. At 80,000 when I replace the belt again I will replace both ends of the CVT and the clutch shoes just to be sure things will be fine. These are very robust bikes and handle our family's touring and daily highway commuting with ease. We live out in the country and do not see very much stop and go traffic on roads that average between 45 and 60 mph to where we each work. Our average commute is about 53 miles a day and on the weekend rides during the summer we average between 250 to 300 miles a day. Our best ride was 1600 miles in two days riding around the state of Washington on a group ride with Goldwings and other big bore touring bikes. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My reply----when you get some experience----I am at over 250,000 on rubber band drive scooters (and over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles), it is nice to be able to make repairs/changes on the road. Sometimes necessary to avoid walking......now at over 15,000 on OEM Belt, I carry spare belt and tools to make change that may never be necessary belt will be changed @ 20,000miles-----I have done 49 states, Central America, James Bay, Alaska, North Cap in Norway, 20 years in Europe, 20 years in Japan/Korea. Only one underway scooter belt break----Helix in Pulaski,VA----belt was about 500 miles from Honda spec service life (miles)---had spare, HRC trucked me to friends garage, I fixed/changed and on way. Cell phone and credit card nice, but taking care on your own, fine,too.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I love running my "little" 400 with those big boys, on the highway. Sometimes I pass them :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts