Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stopping on the way home tonight to look at a NT700V. He has it just about farkled completely. Mileage is 25,000. Price is $6600. Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but why?

Here's a couple things I've picked up on...
  • It needs a 6th gear. At speeds above 70 mph (probably indicated, not actual) a common complaint is the vibration you feel. [/*:m:127qp5dw]
  • Gas mileage is not bad...but not that good. The new NC700X and CTX700 will get almost 20 mpg better and have just as good of storage.[/*:m:127qp5dw]
  • Wind protection is good. The fairing seems to do what it is supposed to do.[/*:m:127qp5dw]
  • It's top heavy with a 5 gallon gas tank mounted way up high.[/*:m:127qp5dw]
  • It's also plain heavy. That combined with a seat height almost 32 inches high, would be a pain in stop-n-go traffic for me.[/*:m:127qp5dw]
I probably won't buy it, but it'll be interesting to look at it.

Chris

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so I looked at it tonight... It is appealing. The question is if it is appealing enough to spend $6000 for it.

The owner has installed just about every mod you can think of. He has the NT700V wind deflectors...something that blends in to the fairing so well you'd never know it was added on. He also has a GPS mount, throttle lock, heated gear plug in, the large stowage bins, Honda top box, heated grips...and probably more that I haven't thought of. Oh yes, and it has an aftermarket Clearview windshield that adjusts.

I took it out for awhile tonight. I got over the shifting bit pretty quick. Yes, I stalled it at a couple stop signs, but the shifts became smoother after about half the ride. I'm just out of practice. :roll:

The bike itself is virtually flawless. It looks about perfect. I doubt I'd have to do anything to it for quite awhile.

I was surprised at the ride. I took it out on a back road that had some road imperfections. I was expecting a "real" motorcycle suspension to be smoother and absorb those imperfections better. It didn't. Of course, what I suspect is that the dealership has the tire adjusted to 40 psi or higher. I say that because I went to the same dealer for my first replacement tire and that's what they did to it. Their excuse for going above the tire manufacturer's max psi was that it helped the tires last longer. What would it be like with a lower psi, more inline with what Honda would recommend?

There was some vibration from the drivetrain. I suspect I didn't have the revs high enough. The effect though was that it was not much different than my 400...a thumper, not a twin.

It's interesting. I may still buy it. But it reaffirms my belief that the Burgman 400 is still one of the best kept secrets in the motorcycling/scooter world.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Chris
You seem to be talking yourself into it. :roll: What year is it? Maybe you should just buy it to get the Honda thing out of your system :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
The NT700V is a nice looking bike. Several of them often show up at our Two Wheeled Texan Pie Runs. From a performance and utility standpoint I just don't see that they offer much over what you get with the Burgmans.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Desert Rat said:
Chris
You seem to be talking yourself into it. :roll: What year is it? Maybe you should just buy it to get the Honda thing out of your system :lol:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3752348040.html
Have you thought about a touring bike but came to the conclusion they are just too big. Well, here is one that will probably fit. It's a NT700V 700cc Sport/Touring masterpiece. Shaft Drive with a 5-speed transmission smooth like only Honda can make them. It's broken in with 23,000 miles on it All the required service has been done by the Honda dealer in Everett. You will think it is new by the way it sounds and rides. If you like accessories then this is the bike for you, it comes with:

Honda Service Manual
Fender Extenda
Cee Bailey Windshield (just a little bigger) plus the original and it's adjustable
GPS mount on the dash (GPS not included)
Heated Grips
Honda hand protectors
2+2 risers
Fuze Block
BMW plug for heated gear
Honda Top Box
The large side-case covers plus the original ones
Side-case interior bags
Center Stand
Adjustable foot pegs (plus the originals)
Welded on larger base for the kickstand (pretty cool)
Throttle Lock
Honda Tank Protector pad

The top box has a few scratches and nicks (bought it used) but still looks great as you can see. The bike has very minor signs of use.
Email me back with your phone number so I can call you right back.
Maybe my eyes aren't that good, but I couldn't see the scratch that he was talking about.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
So what does Deborah think about it. :lol: Will she be regulated to work only. :(

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard saying. The important one was my wife who put up less resistance than I thought she would.

I'm still toying with the idea. Luckily, I think prospective owners for Deauvilles are like Burgman prospective owners. We think the Burgman is great, but the general motorcycling public doesn't even notice it. Chances are he won't get any bites on the bike in the week...or in several weeks. The motorcycle press wasn't that favorable to it, some calling it of all things...a...scooter. :shock:

His price is less than the retail Kelley Blue Book value, and not that much over the Trade-In value. That'll make a fairly safe purchase, if he goes for it since I can probably sell it without taking much (if any) hit. He has a week of vacation time out of town to think of the offer I made. I found a UK Deauville forum where there's a ton of info on the bike. Some of them have been in use for well over 250,000 miles without anything major needing to be done.

I found an extensive checklist of things to look for on the UK forum. I'll check those out when he gets back and I see the bike again. If it is as good in the detailed inspection as my first look at it was, I think I'll go for it. I'll probably do as the other guy who parks next to me at work does. He rotates between three bikes. A 1986 Honda Interceptor VF750F with racing stickers on it, a ST1300 and a 25th Anniversary Edition of the Honda Interceptor. All are in immaculate condition. I suspect he isn't married. :lol:

I was looking at the new Honda 700cc bikes, but I think this might be a better alternative to add to the stable. Now we sit and wait...

Chris

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I wish I could have found a Deauville in Australia over the ST1100 purely in terms of the weight. MInd you the V4 is fun to wind out but the Burgman would eat it for lunch on launch but in the midrange and on up the Honda was superb.
The Deauville (since there was no decently priced 650 Burgman about ) would have been sweet. Honda motors just go and go.

·
Registered
368 Posts
About a year and a half ago, I bought a small motorcycle. I soon learned that I had made a mistake as I had become a motorscooter guy. So I bought a Honda SH150i - another mistake. Then I bought a Kymco People 250S, and that didn't work out for me either. So I'm back to only having my 08 Burg 400.

But now, my temptation is to buy a new 2012 Burgman 400 - there are several for sale at various dealers and they are being offered for $600 less than MSRP. And with Suzuki's Zero percent financing, it is very tempting to trade my 08 Burg 400 in on a new one with ABS.

But when I mentioned my idea to The Wife, she was not smiling. I took that to mean that she did not approve of my great idea. So now I'm trying to figure out how to present my great idea to her in a way that she will say, "sure, go ahead and buy it, dear, it makes absolutely great sense".

But maybe I should just keep riding & enjoying my 08 Burg! Help, my head hurts!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
TeeMon said:
About a year and a half ago, I bought a small motorcycle. I soon learned that I had made a mistake as I had become a motorscooter guy. So I bought a Honda SH150i - another mistake. Then I bought a Kymco People 250S, and that didn't work out for me either. So I'm back to only having my 08 Burg 400.

But now, my temptation is to buy a new 2012 Burgman 400 - there are several for sale at various dealers and they are being offered for $600 less than MSRP. And with Suzuki's Zero percent financing, it is very tempting to trade my 08 Burg 400 in on a new one with ABS.

But when I mentioned my idea to The Wife, she was not smiling. I took that to mean that she did not approve of my great idea. So now I'm trying to figure out how to present my great idea to her in a way that she will say, "sure, go ahead and buy it, dear, it makes absolutely great sense".

But maybe I should just keep riding & enjoying my 08 Burg! Help, my head hurts!
You would be paying a lot for ABS and a newer bike as that is the only apparent change other than color.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
So Chris........ Is the NT700V that much different than the NT700X you test rode & didn't like. :?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Desert Rat said:
So Chris........ Is the NT700V that much different than the NC700X you test rode & didn't like. :?
The NTV is totally different than the NCX. If John Grinsell’s opinions have any weight with you, the NTV is the only bike he’s owned recently with good wind management. I didn’t take it on the freeway like I did the NCX, but I would agree with him based on what I found.

The first thing that hit me on the NCX was how high it was. I was on tip-toes. Conversely, on the NTV with a high seat I was still able to reach the ground comfortably with the balls of my feet. In fact, it really didn’t feel much different than on my B400. It just goes to show how you read all the magazine reviews you’d like, but you still need to see how a bike “fits” you.

Seat comfort was totally different. I could ride all day on the NTV’s seat. On the NCX…waterboarding would be preferable. Pushing back in the seat was very uncomfortable. When I sat forward, …wow!...I found some bone in my anatomy that I’ve never felt before. It took “uncomfortable” to a new level.

The wind management on the NCX …well, it isn’t managed. The windshield does as much good as a post card would do. The wind blast hit me about in the middle of the chest and was very present on the arms and legs. I could not ride that bike on the SS1000 as I did the B400 without a lot of mods. It would beat me to death. And being so exposed to the elements would mean that during the winter in the cold and wet, I’d be miserable by the time I got to work…assuming I survived the seat.

I rode the bike for 30-35 miles. It was great on street roads and had plenty of power and stability when riding into 20+ mph headwinds on the freeway. The engine and manual transmission were wonderful. I loved them. Shifts were solid, not vague. And for someone who hadn’t ridden a manual transmission (with the exception of the NTV’s test ride earlier in the week) since 1982, it came very naturally. The engine pulls well from just about any gear, so you don’t have to worry so much about shifting as you might with a bike that has to be in a high rpm band. I wish the NT700D Integra were imported into the USA because it would combine the benefits of a scooter full fairing and floorboards with that wonderful drivetrain.

On the other hand, the NTV has a real fairing and on the shorter test ride I took, it seemed to fit John Grinsell’s rating of having good wind management. I’ve also been doing some research and I’ve never heard any complaints about it. The only thing I might add, is the fairing “lowers”…an additional fairing section to protect the feet in the wet and cold. The NTV’s engine is more traditional with a larger bore than stroke, and will develop more of its power at higher rpms. But it still pulled away in low rpms when I accelerated. You’ll never see the kind of mpg figures the NCX will develop with it…but with a shaft drive, you’ll never have to clean and lube the chain either. Reliability is good on the NTV with some of them still on the road with over 230,000 miles.

I hope that answered your questions… It was probably over wordy as usual. :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Chris,

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you get the deal you want, and have many miles of enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Chris,

Congrats on the Nt700V, if you have already bought it, and I'm sure you will like it. I was really wanting to buy one and still may one day. And like you said...If John Grinsel says it has good wind management then it has good wind management. It is the only bike he really brags about for that. I'm surprised he got rid of his really. When the NT700 first came here it was the only bike I would be willing to trade the SWing in for too. If I decide to trade the SWing in one day it will be the NT700 or NC700 and I know I would have to mod the seat on the NC700 so not slide forward, as I have read happens, and of course get a shield that will keep the wind off me. I think they make one now for it.

But the NT700 has great ratings by those who ride and love them. Have you thought about handlebar risers? I have read that even the 1" or 1 1/4" risers really make a big difference. And also they sell this bumper guards you can install on the sides so if you drop it, it will prevent damage to the bike. I read the posts and I'm not sure if you bought it already or want to buy it, but if you do buy it posts some pics.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JeffR, the bumper guards are actually built in. If you don't buy the large capacity stowage bins, I have heard you don't have any damage if you drop it...they work that well. :)

I found a new 2011 that I will buy tomorrow. SWMBO didn't object. The price is a bit more, but under Kelley Blue Book and will have ABS and a warranty.

I am already planning the epic ride home across Eastern Washington and either Hwy 2 or the North Cascades Highway.

Now, if I could only go to sleep...

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I knew you were talking your self into your new ride. We need pictures. :thumbup: So your going to break it in on a long ride this weekend. :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts