Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Have owned motorcycles of all shapes and sizes on and off road though out my life time but this is my first scooter. Due to a physical condition, I though my riding days would be confined to my UTV but after a friend came to the house on his Burgman the other day, a new door was opened to the possibility of the riding the open roads again.

After much research, a few test rides, a lot of testimonies and advice from you folks, I brought home my black 2008 Burgman 400 last Saturday for $3,300. Has 4,500 miles, tires & brake pads appear good, was just serviced, rides and feels great. The windshield has to go though! Just place an order with KiwiDave for a AF266 Air Flow Windshield.

Why does the word "Scooter" have a sigma to it? Will I ever get comfortable with saying "Ya man, I ride a Scooter". There just isn't anything macho about that statement yet! I know, it's a small price to pay.

What a wealth of information, great forum.
Thanks for the help.

Dan

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Why does the word "Scooter" have a sigma to it? Will I ever get comfortable with saying "Ya man, I ride a Scooter". There just isn't anything macho about that statement yet! I know, it's a small price to pay.

What a wealth of information, great forum.
Thanks for the help.

Dan
Yes, you'll get over saying that you ride a scooter. I did. Took a few years, but soon you'll be a proud scooter rider.

I always say that yes it's a scooter, but it has the size and speed of a Harley, with a lot more comfort. People will be surprised.

You have nothing to prove to anyone. You've earned the right to be comfortable in both your ride and your reputation. If anyone has a problem with that... F... em. They're ignorant or not worth impressing.

And congrats on the bike! She's a beaut I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Congratulations, Dan! That's going to be some of the best money you've spent in a long time.

I've been driving mine around for a week (today!) and have yet to hear a derogatory comment about the fact that it's a scooter. The comments are more along the lines of, "Wow, that's a really cool bike!" Perhaps I'll hear them in time, but to be perfectly honest I don't mind laughing along with them. I love riding through the countryside, but almost all of my miles wind up being my 60-mile round trip commute and she's absolutely perfect in that application. Of course the fact that we have a year-round riding season helps a lot...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
:wave: Welcome Dan............Most of the comments I get are "that doesn't look like a scooter to me" Well yea it is a scooter on steroids.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
i Dan,

Welcome aboard! With your history of riding different motorcycles you are in a position to add your testimonial on how great your Burgman is in comparison to other bikes you have ridden. I think the reason so many cringe to say they ride a scooter is that in most people's mind they vision the really small ones. Being a woman I don't have to worry about the macho image, but I also don't just say I ride a "scooter." I mention I ride a Burgman 400 and then when they want to know more I tell them. Those who have a chance to look it over are impressed.

Glad you discovered the Burgman and your riding days are not over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree. Just mention that you ride a Burgman and watch the confusion on their faces. Then the light goes on and they say what a nice ride! Enjoy your new bike.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Welcome Dan, from just a bit West of where you live!:D
Ride safe!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i Dan,

Welcome aboard! With your history of riding different motorcycles you are in a position to add your testimonial on how great your Burgman is in comparison to other bikes you have ridden. I think the reason so many cringe to say they ride a scooter is that in most people's mind they vision the really small ones. Being a woman I don't have to worry about the macho image, but I also don't just say I ride a "scooter." I mention I ride a Burgman 400 and then when they want to know more I tell them. Those who have a chance to look it over are impressed.

Glad you discovered the Burgman and your riding days are not over.
Of all of the suggestions, I like yours best!
If anyone asks, "I ride a Burgman".

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome Dan. I'm South West of you near Cleveland. Like you I've ridden mostly motorcycles, but for the same reasons you have, I switched to scooters. I still miss my motorcycle but I love the more practical design of the scooter. I have ridden the Dragon at Deals Gap for the last 2 years, and my scooter handles those curves just as good as anything I've ever taken up there. 60 mpg is also great these days.
Tom

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Dan, keep an eye out for us next year (or this one if the weather is willing). Our little group rides through Mountain City once or twice a month. We have a little 150 mile or so circle we ride both ways. We ride down to Damascus, through Shady Valley, across the Snake, through Mountain City and turn left in Trade to Warrensville, NC. We sometimes then ride over to West Jefferson, NC and eat at Shatley Springs before returning home on Rt 16. The next time, we do it in the opposite direction.

Our little group has a blue 05 650, my white 09 650, a charcoal gray 07 650, a black BMW R1200GS, a dark Gray BMW R1200RT, a blue R1200RT and sometimes a couple of Harleys that follow along in the rear. There are normally 4 or 5 of us on a particular day.

I helped pick up my friend's charcoal gray 650 last Friday in Kingsport. He also has an almost new red Harley Switchback he might be riding. Besides my white 650, I sometimes ride my V-Star Midnight Custom and my friend with the blue 650 sometimes rides his red R1200RT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan, keep an eye out for us next year (or this one if the weather is willing). Our little group rides through Mountain City once or twice a month. We have a little 150 mile or so circle we ride both ways. We ride down to Damascus, through Shady Valley, across the Snake, through Mountain City and turn left in Trade to Warrensville, NC. We sometimes then ride over to West Jefferson, NC and eat at Shatley Springs before returning home on Rt 16. The next time, we do it in the opposite direction.

Our little group has a blue 05 650, my white 09 650, a charcoal gray 07 650, a black BMW R1200GS, a dark Gray BMW R1200RT, a blue R1200RT and sometimes a couple of Harleys that follow along in the rear. There are normally 4 or 5 of us on a particular day.

I helped pick up my friend's charcoal gray 650 last Friday in Kingsport. He also has an almost new red Harley Switchback he might be riding. Besides my white 650, I sometimes ride my V-Star Midnight Custom and my friend with the blue 650 sometimes rides his red R1200RT.
Sounds like you Guys have a nice thing going. I'm familiar with the roads you speak of except for Rt 16. The Lord has blessed our area with such beauty. I'm not much for group riding. I like to set my own pace. Besides I would be a bit out classed with your group. Ride safe!

Dan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome Dan. I'm South West of you near Cleveland. Like you I've ridden mostly motorcycles, but for the same reasons you have, I switched to scooters. I still miss my motorcycle but I love the more practical design of the scooter. I have ridden the Dragon at Deals Gap for the last 2 years, and my scooter handles those curves just as good as anything I've ever taken up there. 60 mpg is also great these days.
Tom
Tom,

There seems to be many old timers like us, thankful to have found the Burgman and in turn has given us more time to enjoy the open road.

We lived in Franklin TN for 17 years, So I'm familiar with your area.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome to the world of scooters, Dan....!! I just turned 72 last week - no physical disabilities, BUT some claim that I am mentally-challenged .!!!!

I have owned my 2008 400 for 4 years now and also have a Honda GL1800 Goldwing, which I have owned for 8 years - and.......it seems to stay in the garage more often than the Burgman does. I gotta say that i love riding the Burgman....:):)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Welcome to the world of scooters, Dan....!! I just turned 72 last week - no physical disabilities, BUT some claim that I am mentally-challenged .!!!!

I have owned my 2008 400 for 4 years now and also have a Honda GL1800 Goldwing, which I have owned for 8 years - and.......it seems to stay in the garage more often than the Burgman does. I gotta say that i love riding the Burgman....:):)
I've heard and lived that story before. Got my first Maxi, a Honda Helix, when I had an ST1100. After not riding the MC for a year, I thought it time to sell it. Moved up to Burgmans and will never go back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for the welcome. Your my elder by 6 years, keep hanging in there, maybe there's hope for me yet.. Can't say too much about mine yet. Waiting for a nice day or two and a replacement windshield.

Dan

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Your my elder by 6 years, keep hanging in there, maybe there's hope for me yet.. Can't say too much about mine yet. Waiting for a nice day or two and a replacement windshield.

Dan
I had a nice comfortable 80 mile ride yesterday just over the hill from you. Snowing today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts