Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is for your marketing department. How many buyers have you lost because people loved there Burgman 650 but wanted a bigger engine with more amenities? How many buyers have you lost to Honda, BMW or other brands because you did not do your home work and build a 1000cc step through?

The only constant about life is change.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Agreed. Suzuki needs to step up and make the next move should they want to stay ahead in the scooter game. Maybe not a full liter bike, but a 900 would be a nice step up. There are lots of aging baby boomers out there with bad backs and hands that would gladly give up shifting their heavy Goldwings and BMWs for a capable liter class scooter with a little less weight, but similar capabilities.

The 650 is a grand bike, but there are some who just can't imagine something mid-class as being capable enough after riding an 1800 for the past 20 years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll drink to that...Hic !

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This one is for your marketing department. How many buyers have you lost because people loved there Burgman 650 but wanted a bigger engine with more amenities? How many buyers have you lost to Honda, BMW or other brands because you did not do your home work and build a 1000cc step through?

The only constant about life is change.
And how many other brands make a 1000cc scooter?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
And how many other brands make a 1000cc scooter?
None that I know of. However, there was a time Goldwings were a mere 1k bike and scooters were never over 150ccs. In the 80s Honda stepped up and made them bigger. Look how successful those bikes have become even though there was no market for them at the time. (And btw, these bikes paved the path for others to follow. Without the success of the Honda Helix, would we even have our beloved Burgmans now?)

It just takes one company to make the bold move and its time for Suzuki to step up and take the risk if it wants to remain scooter king. They did it a dozen years or so ago and they're in the best position to do so again with a huge, loyal customer base and Proven technology; just make it bigger.

Personally I see this as a far smaller risk than what Honda or Suzuki did in the past. There's a built in customer base and scoots are already over 800ccs, why not a Burg 900? It's an incremental step, not a huge gamble.

BMW is already nipping at its heels. Why rest on its laurels?

·
Registered
255 Posts
While an increase in displacement is usually always a good idea, one of the things that we need to keep in mind is this bike is under the "Magical 750cc" displacement and because of that insurance is considerably less for the bike. My insurance dropped almost in half going from my 03 DL1000 Vstrom to a 09 Burgman 650.
What would be nice is to have Suzuki upgrade the suspension ( i.e. cartridge forks and real rear shocks) and an electronic cruise control. IMHO
Greg

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
While an increase in displacement is usually always a good idea, one of the things that we need to keep in mind is this bike is under the "Magical 750cc" displacement and because of that insurance is considerably less for the bike. My insurance dropped almost in half going from my 03 DL1000 Vstrom to a 09 Burgman 650.
What would be nice is to have Suzuki upgrade the suspension ( i.e. cartridge forks and real rear shocks) and an electronic cruise control. IMHO
Greg
Agreed. Suzuki should have addressed suspension issues with this last redesign.

Insurance is like taxes, they vary from country to country, state to state, even some city areas are more expensive than others. Suzuki, nor any MC company has control over them, and given the number of bikes over 750, I really don't think it influences their decision on new products very much; if it will sale in numbers at a decent profit, they'll build it,

So far as buyers, okay it's a factor for some, but MC insurance is cheap. I didn't think twice about the big "jump" from my 400 to my 650 ($150 /yr).

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
If Suzuki though there was enough demand for a 1 liter scooter they would built one. Evidently they nor any other company thinks the demand is there yet because they have not built it.

One problem I can see with doing it is trying to build an engine that is compact enough to fit in the step through full floorboard layout. There is only so much you can do before the engine is to wide for the floorboards or to high for the step through. If you eliminate those then you are back to a conventional motorcycle layout.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If Suzuki though there was enough demand for a 1 liter scooter they would built one. Evidently they nor any other company thinks the demand is there yet because they have not built it.

One problem I can see with doing it is trying to build an engine that is compact enough to fit in the step through full floorboard layout. There is only so much you can do before the engine is to wide for the floorboards or to high for the step through. If you eliminate those then you are back to a conventional motorcycle layout.
All good points Buffalo and the proof is in the pudding, there aren't any liter class scooters yet. However, I think it a question of "when", not "if".

Bikes can be ahead of their time, like the DN-01. But Honda has stuck with it. New bikes with similar size and auto trannys are making head room, like the NC700. There's a couple 750s coming down the pike and of course the Integra.

The fact that BMW recently jumped into the mix with two bikes and Kymco with their new 700 proves someone out there thinks its a viable market. There is inertia in this trend. I see more big scoot offerings in the future, not less.

So as these hybrid bikes become more accepted, I think it just inevitable we will see ever larger variants someday. It's a matter of timing and choosing when the public is ready to accept and buy them as equals to MCs.

I hope that day will be soon and I hope Suzuki leads the way, as it has done before.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
All good points Buffalo and the proof is in the pudding, there aren't any liter class scooters yet. However, I think it a question of "when", not "if".

Bikes can be ahead of their time, like the DN-01. But Honda has stuck with it. New bikes with similar size and auto trannys are making head room, like the NC700. There's a couple 750s coming down the pike and of course the Integra.

The fact that BMW recently jumped into the mix with two bikes and Kymco with their new 700 proves someone out there thinks its a viable market. There is inertia in this trend. I see more big scoot offerings in the future, not less.

So as these hybrid bikes become more accepted, I think it just inevitable we will see ever larger variants someday. It's a matter of timing and choosing when the public is ready to accept and buy them as equals to MCs.

I hope that day will be soon and I hope Suzuki leads the way, as it has done before.

What Kymco & BMW, Kawasaki and other recognise is population getting older, many older motorcycle rider that want to keep riding will go to nice maxi-scooter and not new motorcycle, they also know these customer have some money also. Price of gasoline will keep rising continuously in many countries it cost double what it cost in USA, this also will limit scooter displacement.

Also remember bike like Honda NTX 700 with larger displacement have 47-48 pony which less than Burgie 650 55-56 pony as on 2013-2014 model.

World demand in most important market and large volume dictate what will go for R&D and then market, market size here is drop in bucket, if not sufficient demand for 800-900 cc maxi scoot on planet we not see this at all.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

+10

Add 20-25 hp, keep same size wheel, now need steel tire front + rear as rubber tire that size last 3000 or so mile before wear out with 80 hp power output.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've owned some 45 plus motorcycles over the past fifty years and for me the 650cc range has always been my favorite. These 650cc have plenty of power for both highway and dual sport riding and can keep up with just about any other bike out there. The BMW's and new Honda's can get you close to 70mpg and have a good power range. For those of you who want a 1000cc scooter I personally don't see it in the manufactures future, but then again who knows. From just looking at what is happing to the scooter market I think you best look at what Honda is doing, it's probably closer to what the future of scooters might be.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Honda knows

I love my 2005 Burgman 650, but I just bought a Honda Forza 300. it gets 65-70 mpg, and it is a fantastic scooter. Suzuki is smart and released a Burgman 200.
I think this will be a great seller. A Bigger engine in the Burg will just get worst mpg. It would be poor seller in this age.;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Is a little 300cc Forza actually highway capable?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 650 is really a nice, reliable machine. I personally am happy with the 650ccs and find that the power and speed for normal interstate riding is ok. I would like to see a suspension upgrade, a CVT transmission good for 100,000 miles, electronic cruise control, and accessories. Go into a Harley dealership and you will find 85% of the space dedicated to accessories. things like touring bags and radios for those that want music.
Tires that might last 11,000 or so miles would also be an improvement.
all in all, I am very happy with my burg!!!!!
Yesterday I rode a bare-naked HONDA V-twin 750 Shadow. I thought that I was going to be blown off the bike at 50mph. I also didn't like the vibration I felt.
if we had 1000ccs, then within weeks we would have bikers wanting 1200ccs. It seems that size never stops.
Although the burg handles well at 80mph, even for long distances, I fell more comfortable between 55 and 65mph. My BMW boxer was much better at 80mph than my burg. But for all around riding, you just can't beat the burg.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
What would a 1L scooter give you, and at what cost? Would the incremental increase in torque, HP, high-speed overhead for passing power at 80mph be worth the extra weight, lower gas mileage, loss of cargo space and higher insurance costs? Not to me.

It would be nice to have the choice, I suppose. But if $11k 650's are not exactly flying off the shelf, how big is the market for a $13K+ scooter? We avid Burgman lovers have a constant eye peeled for a too-good-to-pass-up deal on a late model used bike - who's going to be first into the showroom to begin to stock the used bike market a couple of years down the road? Not many.

I would like to see Suzuki effectively market the big scoots to stimulate some demand:

Fade in: young urban professional dressed in a business suit navigates the freeway and city streets, parks in front of his office building, pops open the truck to retrieve his laptop messenger bag and store his helmet. Walks toward the entrance while onlookers have a look of approval and respect. Fade out. Fade in: Long shot: 2-up couple riding relaxed through long sweepers - forest on the right, ocean on the left, maybe northbound on Calif Hwy 1 north of San Francisco. Camera moves in - They pull in to a charming B & B with the ocean in the background, the couple, wearing matching riding gear, dismount and remove their helmets to reveal handsome middle-aged faces, each fit, with plenty of gray in their hair, and sporting huge Burgman grins. Man grabs the perfectly sized luggage from the trunk, and hand in hand, with the Burgman in the foreground, they walk away toward the lodge to check in. Fade out. Fade in: a group of riding buddies, late 20's to late 30's finish up their cup of joe at a country coffee stop, quickly gear up and mount their disparate bikes - maybe a Vstrom, an FJR, a Ninja, a Harley and a Burgman. Off into the hills they ride, destined for a renown set of aggressive twisties (like The Dragon section of Hwy 49 in the Sierra foothills). They are all excellent riders, they are bunched at a safe distance, they are hauling ass, and the Burgman is leading the pack as they lean their way - right, then left, then right, then left. . . - through the seemingly endless set of essess. Final shot is in a funky gastopub, a toast with brews held high, all smiles, Burgman rider standing in the middle. Fade out.

How many motorcycles cross these many market segments??? Come on Suzuki - strut your stuff already!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, the Honda Forza 300 would be happy all day doing 75mph, and it handles very nicely on the CA freeways.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I too have difficulty imagining a larger displacement Burgman would sell any better. There are so many things I'd rather have than more power. And I say that as someone who enjoyed a brutally powerful FJR1300 in the not-so-distant past.

I know everyone has different priorities but I have enough power to merge onto difficult highway on-ramps, running 80+ MPH for a 30 mile commute in the HOV lanes, and pulling away from typical cars when lane sharing at stop lights (in Power mode).

Since I added a big rear seat soft bag and a rigid top case I am more willing than ever to give up some under seat storage for, say, another gallon of gas. My daily weekday distance is maybe 70 miles total. So I always need to fill the tank in the early/middle of day 3. But many of us cherish that under-seat space more than longer range (I heard you Cherie, lol).

I'd love a better OEM suspension. I'm wondering if another inch of wheel diameter would help? At the same time, I recognize that might not sell more scooters. Upgraded suspension isn't something that "sells" to novice riders.

As nice as the dash storage is, I could see that revised to improve the cubbies even further. An external-mount power socket from the factory would be swell (e.g. for electric clothing or a battery tender). Sure, adding a pigtail to the battery was relatively painless but we're talking about what features might attract more buyers.

Integrated tip-over guards would be awesome, as noted in another recent thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to see them atleast sell driver back rest to replace the butt stop for tall buyers like myself. Also other seating options would be nice like other dealers do.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No one really makes any scooter FOR the US market. We seem to get the worlds cast-offs.

I watch the MotoGP races religiously. Last week in Spain, 117k people attended. The stands were packed! I doubt there is that kind of enthusiasm here. Valentino Rossi is a god over there. Asian and European countries just seem to be so much more cycle centric.

So Suzuki would not be designing a 1 liter scooter for US consumption, our sales numbers really don't figure into their decision making. If they can make a few extra bucks sending an existing product here, they will. If the aforementioned countries will buy it, perhaps we will get it here as an afterthought.

It just seems a natural progression. As the meshing of MC & scooter continues, and the auto trannies get more and more accepted, and the population continues to age, it seems inevitable there will be a big scoot from a major manufacturer. They're already pushing 900ccs. Honda had a triple that size as a concept scoot. It can be done.

I think we will see it. Perhaps not this year or the next, perhaps not in the next five, but it will happen... Somewhere.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts