Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I had my bike shlepped down from Portland to the Bay Area since I am here for a 6 month contract.

I had my bike at work and the battery died and I had it towed back to the house. I figured that reason for the battery drain was due to the "locked forks emergency light" quark that our bikes has. I charged the battery and then rode it around....I did test the battery changing at 5K rpm and it was steady at 13v..I even drive it around and the battery still stayed at that voltage. So this Sunday, I went on a Doc Wong seminar/ride (Excellent for everyone who rides to take) and the scoot died in what goes for boondocks here. Now when we were at the lunch stop, my seat was behaving wonky when I tried to close it. When I was stopped at the side of the road, I noticed that the bolt holding down the seat on the right hand side had fallen off.

So could the bolt have been sufficiently loose that it drained the battery? I did yank the light bulb under the seat, but still??? I will be tearing the bike apart this weekend and checking the rectifier (replaced last year) and stator (the last rectifier took that down too earlier, so it has also been replaced) but could that be futile given the missing bolt issues?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well......!!!!!!!!!!!! With a screen name of "mrwizard".............Maybe you should think about changing that name.???? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
13v is a little on the low side for on charge 14 14.2 is about right, mine will hold 14.2 on tick over with lights heated grips and vest turned on.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Agreed. Anything around 13 V DC will not fully charge the AGM battery, if that is what you have. Just pull the seat bulb or switch it off. My 2011 has a switch, I leave it off all the time, rarely use the light, but it is handy at times.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Before tearing it down, let me tell you what happened to me last summer. I had extra padding put in my seat by a guy who had a booth at a motorcycle rally. When we re-installed the seat, we pulled a little too hard on the wires going to the light under the seat. After the seat was installed I started the bike and rode it for about 1 block when it died. Upon investigating the problem I found a blown fuse. I replace the fuse, started the bike and the fuse blew again. I then disconnected the under seat light,
replaced the fuse again and the bike ran fine. So I suggest you check your fuses and if one is blown, disconnect the under seat light and try again.

Bob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check that first..given that the bolt came off, that might be what is going on here. Good tip..Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mrwizard10 said:
I will check that first..given that the bolt came off, that might be what is going on here. Good tip..Thanks
So...........What is your "claim to fame" with the name of .......mr wizard........??????? :!: :!:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My friend had his 650 shipped from California to Georgia and had many electrical issues afterward.
They were mostly from pinched/shorted wires in the wiring harness under the frame where the shippers had blocked it up like a regular motorcycle.
So it might be worth looking into as well.
Hope it is an easy fix!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here is progress so far...battery is on the charger, tupperware is off and the resistance to the stator is per the manual...next to check the battery voltage and see if it holds a charge. Then who knows? More to come

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
If you are only getting 13 volts DC at the battery with the engine at 5,000 rpm ckeck the AC voltage comming from the stator to see if it is in spec. If not then you probably have a stator going bad.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is what I am afraid it might be...happened once before...so I need the battery to be good before I can check. Turns out that my ohm meter battery died s I have it charging and will be able to check the battery and things tomorrow...more to come on this one

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know it sounds obvious but have you had your battery load tested. I had a battery that appeared fine and would run and start the bike unless it sat too long. I had the battery shop check it and it failed the load test. New battery was installed and the problems went away.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea about the load test...I plan to check it tonight (provided the meter battery is charged) and see where it is..then wait until tomorrow and test it again to see if it still just holds a charge period. If it does, then the load test next just to see how it behaves...then if it passes all those steps, it is on to the rectifier and stator...geeze.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well..took the battery in to be load tested and....well a tombstone appeared on the screen. So now there is a new battery in the buggy and it shows 14.45 v at 5k rpm...so it looks like the regulator and stator are good too. Now to put the tupperware back one...****.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know..I am not sure...I have the rectifier go out on my a couple of years ago and started with getting a new battery. When my SO brought my bike down, she only brought down one of them...but my suspicions is that it is the original that she brought since the other is a Yashu (sic) in a black case. LOL..figures that the only one brought would be the "bad one"...oh well..now to get the time together to put the tupperware together...but while I am at it, I will put in a fuel line for a 2.5 spare tank that I am going to hang off of the back seat rest.

Onwards to the next project.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my bike in to a dealer for a 30k mile service at the end of 2012. I received a call from the service manager letting me know that my battery (original one from 2007) should be replaced. I gave him the go ahead and when I picked up my bike, forgot to ask to see the old battery. Well four months later, the bike won’t start. I check under the seat to jump start the bike, when I notice that the dealer never installed the new battery I had paid for. How do I know it was the original battery you ask? When I purchased the bike and got it home. I went through it to familiarize myself with the various switches, toggles, and cubby holes. One of the things I did, was write on top of the battery with a silver colored Sharpie, the month and year of the purchase of the bike. So, back to the dealer with the offending battery and receipt. Owner of the dealership, embarrassed and red face made good and handed me a brand new battery. :cheers:

·
Registered
501 Posts
A battery is like a hot water heater, it builds up platelets inside from the bottom up and it short itself out, you can charge it up, but by afternoon when your ready to go home....it's dead, I once shorted out a wire setting on the seat, could see it....good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts