Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hulllo, starting riding in 1967 on Honda 300 Superhawk....thenafter off and on until 2001 when I bought a 1998 Honda Shadow ACE (large forum following). Just got a white 2009 Burg 400 off Ebay...driving 4h to pick up on Sunday. Selling my true-ole 2004 Moto Guzzi Cal EV Touring (new in Jan 2005)...downsizing you might say in my senior citizen days. This bike has quite a following, amazing. Was Rider Coach for MSF for 4 yrs until knees could not take it anymore.
Best wishes to all,
Jim (Blacksburg, VA)

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Welcome Jim.....
bad knees is the same reason
I ride a scooter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Like many people, you are getting a Burgman due to health issues. I suspect you will wish you had gotten one earlier because they are a blast.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jim,

Welcome and enjoy your new scooter!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome Jim!

I have had back surgery back in '96 - and my 400 is giving me no problems at all.
(I just bought mine Jun 22 this year)
(The most I have gone at one time is 72 miles though)

I turn 60 in less than 2 weeks and love mine - sure makes my 32 mile (each way) trek to work more fun!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome Jim you will find lots of good info on this site & lots or folks that are older then dirt also. Me being one of them :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome Jim, Kinda the same reasons that made me get rid of my motorcycles. You will enjoy the extra lockable storage space, the lack of helmet bobble head, and keeping your legs and lower body shieled from the wind and rain, but the very best is that your shoulders and back will not be as punished. I had to have rotater cuff sugery, and that was the last straw for me.
Tom

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have both a 2008 400 and a 2001 Honda GL1800........and although at 71 (going on 72 - I hope!) still in great health - I find myself riding the 400 much more often because i love it and it is FUN............;);)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
knees and other joints condition often is result of poor protection motorcycle riders tend to ignore early in their life

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enjoyed reading all your comments. I will be riding my new Burg 4-5 hrs home when picked up. I can rest or nap under a tree if I need to....love my power naps. On my Guzzi in 2005, I sent the seatpan to Rick Mayers in California to customize it and he made it a wonderful comfortable seat. Heard today that my 73 yr old buddy in town just traded his Honda Reflex for a new 2013 Burgman 400...he didn't tell me the rascal. He also has his Honda NT700V on consignment sell. Have a good one.
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Jim,
I'm also a newbie; been following this forum for a year or so. 73 years young at this time and earned my motorcycle license back in 2006 at which time I bought a 1990 Honda PC800. Nice bike, but because of age and getting stiff joints, hard to handle at slower speeds. Picked-up a 2006 An400 with about 6k miles on it, and also owned by an older gentleman. I am really enjoying it, but with all the rain this year, not really riding so much. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello and welcome. The Honda twins back in th day were powerful and duarable. You will find that all the maxi scooters are very duarable as well. The rest of the motorcycle community is having a real hard time of seeing maxi scooters as equals. I don't understand anymore why anyone would want to shift gears, That is so last century.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts