Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use "scooter" as keyword to google, and what do you get? No respect. :roll:

Most people would laugh and point to the age group of this forum...fitting in a way, transition from 2 wheelers to electric 4 wheelers.

We want a new classification! Motorcycle AT (Advanced Technology, or at least Automatic Transmission, but not Aged Tadpole), MAT for short. Then we can learn them that we are "FAT CAT SAT on the MAT." :wink:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've said it before,

There are various types of bikes:
Cruisers, Sportbikes, Choppers, Open Frame (Scooter), Trikes, etc.

The Burgy is an "open frame" style motorcycle.

that's my story and I am sticken' to it!

of course I do usually refer mine as the big scoot...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think that in time, the scooter will gain its own level of respectability. It won't have the same "extreme" factor as sport bikes, nor the "cool" factor of cruisers. Maybe "efficient" or "effective". Gotta remember that the same 99% of the population who ain't giving us respect hear the word "scooter" and think "50cc Vespa". First impressions count and at the moment, scooters have a wimpy one. :D

Even my own friends and family had the same reaction. I posted some pictures and info and used the word "scooter". Almost every one said to me "gosh, it's bigger than I thought" when they saw it for the first time. I talked to a local BMW rider, and when I mentioned that I'd had it up to 120 km/h on the highway, his eyes popped out.

Underpromise and overdeliver indeed.

Simon

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Quote from http://www.scooterfaq.com/

By definition, motorcycles are nearly any two-wheeled, motorized vehicle. Therefore, scooters are by definition simply a specific motorcycle design. This is why in most localities, there are no regulations for scooters per se, and thus scooters fall either under moped regulations (assuming they meet the proper requirements to do so) or by default, they are legally treated as motorcycles
I can live with that :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've always found it amusing that classic scooterists refer to my Burgman as a motorcycle and traditional motorcyclists call it a scooter. Personally, I like the term maxiscooter, which differentiates the machine from both traditional motorcycles and from classic scooters.

Other terms I've heard are super-scooter, which further narrows the focus those around 400cc and above, and mega-scooter, for the two-cylinder, 600cc and above crowd. Wonder what term will emerge when the 800cc+ machines hit the market, giga-scooter?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always like the look on peoples face when I tell them that I ride a scooter, they kind of go 'Oh!' politely.
See they expect me to drive something really fancy but not a scooter.
They get a strange and 'funny' look when I ask if they want to put up some money and go dragging, they then make comments about me and my moped, at which I up the stakes to a hundred or so and they really start to laugh at, what they consider is my sillyness, then I kind of grin since their next question is as to whether I need a motorcycle license to drive my scooter.
This is kind of when I let on that they can watch my behind as I do 140k down our local expressway called the Queensway and they start asking some intelligent questions about the size of my moped.
Then I get the accusations that it can't be a scooter if it is a 650!
Respect? Maybe. Confusion? For sure! :D

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I started out announcing my 650 purchase to co-workers with "I got a new toy".
"What is it?", they'd ask.
"It's a scooter. Sort of."
"What do you mean by sort of?"
"Well, it's BIG for a scooter."
"How big?"
"You'll have to see it, but it's got a 638cc engine."
"You're kidding, right? The last bike I had was 600cc, and it was too much for me!"
"No. 638ccs. Automatic CVT transmission. 56 liter storage under the seat. Three glove boxes, one lockable. Water cooled. "
"I've GOT to see it!"

Guess why I colored their words green?

Dave B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts