Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burgman USA sure has changed a lot since my last visit. Anyway.....

So I got out of work and I was pulling out of the plaza parking lot. I looked to my right for pedestrians on the sidewalk, looked to my left and saw a car pulling into the lower driveway with another car just starting to go around it. Nothing unusual, I'd seen it a hundred times before. I looked to the right, where I wanted to go and the next thing I knew I was waking up in the hospital's trauma unit with a LEO waiting to talk to me. He said I t-boned a car. I didn't see it but the driver must have put the pedal to the metal to get there that fast. I was kept overnight for observation and went home the next day, leaving my broken helmet behind. And I quit riding.

A year ago I couldn't take it anymore and found a used 2005 AN650. The test ride was on a beautiful twisting country road. It was wonderful. No where near a highway where I could open it up though, which proved to be unfortunate. So I limited my riding to commuting (2.5 miles of city streets each way) and other local destinations. 30MPH maximum speed. Then a couple weeks ago when I came to a stop at a light the road on the right side was not where I expected it to be and I couldn't stop the bike from going over. (I'm 70 y.o.) Armored jacket and full face helmet as always although it didn't make much difference at zero MPH.

The local Suzuki dealer had a 2013 Burgman 400 so I bought it. I appreciate how much lighter it is but it doesn't hold a candle to the 650s in any other respect. But hey, I'm still riding so I'll have to adjust to the new reality or quit riding -- and I'm not about to quit riding anytime soon.

One immediate question (there will be more, trust me) is, does Micbergsa have a "table of contents" web page like LeDude has? I looked but can't find one. Maybe I didn't look hard enough?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Holy cow! You have a lot to be thankful for, welcome back greenheron.

I have to constantly remind myself I'm an old timer and not get distracted.

·
Administrator
18,694 Posts
Welcome back. Yes a lot of changes, some good, some.....

Hey, back in 2015 I didn't think I'd be a Moderator on the forum, now look. Between 2012 and now we have had many members just leave, sometimes with no explanations. Most of the moderators left and the Admin was only coming on once a week, then once every two weeks. We had Spammers running Mod Jim nuts.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Welcome back.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome back greenheron - Your story got me wondering … as I read it, I thought you got pummeled from the left. I didn't expect it was you that did the pummeling. In the end, did it turn out that you had indeed ran into the car?

And … you mentioned that your 400 doesn't hold a candle to the 650's (except it is lighter in weight). In the back of my mind, I've been kicking around the idea of procuring a (used) 400. But your post makes me consider otherwise. I've been riding mine the last couple days and at certain speed the engine balance is so good I can barely feel anything but road imperfections. I remember test riding a 400 and feeling like I needed to go to the dentist afterward and have my fillings checked. Maybe it was a bad example of a 400. But I sure wouldn't want to procure a 400 and find myself wishing I had kept the 650. So, I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject since you've had both.

Dave - I can never stop staring at your truck in your avatar. What was it they called that … Lil Red Express or something like that. It looks G R E A T.

·
Administrator
18,694 Posts
I think I remember that GreenH hit the other vehicle when it swung around the turning car and he was already pulling out when they met in the middle.

Without hijacking this too much, yes a 1978 Little Red Express Truck (LRT)
. 1 of 2500 made for the whole world. 360 4bbl Police engine (225 HP RATED for insurance but really 325 HP) and NO emissions, Hemi mufflers without the resonators, Hemi Torque Converter (Only automatic trans, NO 4 speeds).
A 1978 LRT VS a 1978 Corvette, the LTR was:

• Faster in the Top Speed run 145 MPH at 6200 RPM (HotRod Mag at Bonneville Salt flats).
  • Faster 0-60.
  • Quicker in the the 1/4 mile.
  • Could almost keep up in the corners, well not real close but it would catch up on the straights.
  • Same Curb weight, about 4200 pounds empty. Its a heavy half ton truck
Many were crashed early in their life.
They made 3200 more in 1979 but required to add a lot of EPA changes and they were not near as fast. 1979 had smaller carb, smaller cam, Cat Cons, EGR valve and quieter mufflers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you still have it … I know you would LOVE to give it to me. Thanks! 😁

P.S. - My first engineering mentor gave me his 1972 Plymouth Scamp. The one I own now and have been giving it lots of love, care and feeding.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome back!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts