Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else not very confident in the 400 on the highway?
Granted, I didn't buy it to be a highway cruiser, but the few times I've had it on the "big roads" at 70-ish mph, it's felt unsteady and just not "fun."
Could be the stock windshield, plus the excessive wind noise in my G-Max helmet, but I just don't like riding this over 60 mph. I've also had to deal with 15-20 mph cross-winds each time. I do enjoy it on the few twisty roads around here, for sure!
What say the Forvm? Anyone else notice issues at high speeds?
I have the tires at about 38 psi, rear suspension on 4.

I'm wondering if the Givi windshield with the wider profile would help...?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like mine on the highway much better with a Cee Bailey windscreen. It is a lot more stable for me than the stock. I would prefer more power on the big slab, but it is capable until I can get to a nice 2 lane.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I remember when I first got the 400, it felt a bit squirrelly in comparison to my ST1100. But I find it rock solid now. I've logged thousands of freeway miles on the stock bike, no aftermarket windshield necessary. I did add a backrest riser though. The stock butt bumper on the 400 makes an excellent backrest. I can really snuggle into it and hunker down with my back and firmly plant my feet into the upper floorboards. I feel very safe in this configuration. It also reduces the wind noise a touch cause the position lowers the head slightly.

Don't know how much freeway riding you have on it, but it got better for me with time. The bike is quite capable of 500 mile days, or more at 75+ mph. I've ran at 85+ actual for hours with no problems other than it being a little windy.

http://www.3brothersperformance.com/

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've put quite a few Interstate miles on my 400. I have also got a 650 which, I consider my go-to highway bike because it feels more planted and less susceptible to wind. However, I don't hesitate to take the 400 onto the super-slab. I have found tire pressure and proper steering bearing adjustment important. For me, I also saw considerable improvement after installing a Givi AirFlow windscreen.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've noticed that helmet affects to riding comfort very much. With my Caberg police helmet speeds 90+km/h are not good, but once I bought HJS Full-face helmet with good noise isolation - my highway speed increased to 120-130 km/h without any problem and it feels like you're riding bicycle and want to speed up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Anyone else not very confident in the 400 on the highway?
Granted, I didn't buy it to be a highway cruiser, but the few times I've had it on the "big roads" at 70-ish mph, it's felt unsteady and just not "fun."
Could be the stock windshield, plus the excessive wind noise in my G-Max helmet, but I just don't like riding this over 60 mph. I've also had to deal with 15-20 mph cross-winds each time. I do enjoy it on the few twisty roads around here, for sure!
What say the Forvm? Anyone else notice issues at high speeds?
I have the tires at about 38 psi, rear suspension on 4.

I'm wondering if the Givi windshield with the wider profile would help...?
My service handbook says......Front tyre 25psi/rear tyre 29psi:confused:

Reactions: yak63

·
Registered
828 Posts
I went for a 190 km trip on highway and maximum comfort speed was betwen 90 ~ 100 kmh, over that the crosswind will effect the stability immediately.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What tires are you running and how worn? Do you run a topbox and how large, if so?

I find the 400 to be very stable at speed, and in a crosswind much more stable than a ST 1100.

Tire wear and overinflated tires make a big difference.

For some reason the same speed on a 2 lane or regular 4 lane usually always is more comfortable than on an interstate.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ron, congrats on getting the 400. Two things. First your tyre pressures are way too high and will contribute to the uneasy unstable feeling you are experiencing at speed. It will make the bike move around way too much. At max the pressures should be 25psi front and 36psi rear with a passenger. For solo use 29psi in the rear but up that just a little if you are a heavyweight. The front always stays at 25psi with or without a passenger.

Secondly, if you come from riding a motorcycle, getting used to a maxi with it's low centre of gravity can take a good few rides. Your brain will over compensate for the minor movements the maxi makes compared to a motorcycle. So give yourself plenty of time to get used to it. I found the same at speed when I went from riding my Vstrom 1000 straight to my Burgman 400. It was the same on the 650 Burgman too. I went from my GSX1400 to the Burgman 650 (a works bike) and found the 650 very squirrelly at speed. But soon got used to it.

Be assured you will get used to it and the bike IS very stable at speeds on the highway even in cross winds. I have no problems with instability and I spend most of my time at between 70-80mph with and without a passenger. Have fun and take your time. Ride slower to start with. This will help your brain get used to the bike, and gradually up the speed and you WILL find it's ok. Guaranteed!

·
Registered
413 Posts
What your probably feeling is something that just takes time to get used to, but basically I think its the wind blast of the cars on the other side of the freeway coming across - at least that's what I think. I do agree 70 on a 2 lane highway with little traffic coming the other way feels very different. The interstate takes time to get used to though honestly.

I've never had any trouble with this bike at highway speeds though I will admit my Honda Helix is the nicest riding freeway bike I've ever owned. Incredibly smooth and that long wheel base makes it feel very planted.

Reactions: Hussein Adil

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ron, congrats on getting the 400. Two things. First your tyre pressures are way too high and will contribute to the uneasy unstable feeling you are experiencing at speed. It will make the bike move around way too much. At max the pressures should be 25psi front and 36psi rear with a passenger. For solo use 29psi in the rear but up that just a little if you are a heavyweight. The front always stays at 25psi with or without a passenger.

Secondly, if you come from riding a motorcycle, getting used to a maxi with it's low centre of gravity can take a good few rides. Your brain will over compensate for the minor movements the maxi makes compared to a motorcycle. So give yourself plenty of time to get used to it. I found the same at speed when I went from riding my Vstrom 1000 straight to my Burgman 400. It was the same on the 650 Burgman too. I went from my GSX1400 to the Burgman 650 (a works bike) and found the 650 very squirrelly at speed. But soon got used to it.

Be assured you will get used to it and the bike IS very stable at speeds on the highway even in cross winds. I have no problems with instability and I spend most of my time at between 70-80mph with and without a passenger. Have fun and take your time. Ride slower to start with. This will help your brain get used to the bike, and gradually up the speed and you WILL find it's ok. Guaranteed!
^^^^ What he said ^^^^

The wind can make you feel like the bike is moving when its not to, just takes time to get used to it. I'd recommend some early morning runs on the freeway in light traffic to help you in getting used to things.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mitch the guy from YouTube "micbergsma" has ridden all over the US on his 400 Burger. I suggest you go look at his trip from Fl to Tx and Tx to Washington state then Tx to NYC. That dudes been there done that with a 400. No need for a 650 for him. He uses his two up on the super slab also. Americans are too infused with bigger is better, IMO. I ride a 650 V-Strom adventure model, everywhere, that many Americans say is too small but a couple from the north west coast rode a couple SYM 100cc Symbas around the globe. Your 400 can do it all, safely.............

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered! Thank you! :cool:

What tires are you running and how worn? Do you run a topbox and how large, if so?

I find the 400 to be very stable at speed, and in a crosswind much more stable than a ST 1100.

Tire wear and overinflated tires make a big difference.

For some reason the same speed on a 2 lane or regular 4 lane usually always is more comfortable than on an interstate.
Stock tires in great shape. Only about 2k miles on them. No other boxes added.
There was a thread here a while back discussing tire pressures, and quite a few people are running higher pressures. I'll lower them and try it out, it's FREE to test! :D
Here in flat-farmland Ohio, I usually have to deal with crosswinds. When I was out riding last Saturday, there was a 20-30 mph crosswind over some of the fields. I was holding about a 4-degree lean to keep straight on the road! :eek: I'm looking forward to warmer weekends when I can get out early before the winds kick up. Should be much nicer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ordered! Thank you! :cool:
Oh very good. Hope you'll like it. It's made of plywood I think, so it's really strong. On long trips, I can actually push all my weight against it and lift my bottom for some circulation. Added benefits - It will give you a little extra leg room and lower your head a touch. Problems - takes away from the passenger's space. But it's easily removable should you want to ride two up and some (thinner) passengers actually like it, makes them feel secure.

Between that and my Airhawk, I'm usually good for all day riding.

Good luck, hope it fits you well. Ergos are always a personal thing.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I rode mine for 40,000 miles, doing 80+ MPH on the freeway. Tire Pressure 32 F and 41 Rear. My tires lasted longer and lower rolling resistance. It takes awhile to get used to it. Loosen your grip on the steering.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Liamjs, why not the Isuzu? :p

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I ride motorways a lot and don't have problems.

A couple of things that I found:
The standard screen flexed and spilled air on one shoulder and then the other which made things unstable for me. Now have a Givi airflow which solved that.

When my tyres start to square off the bike tries to track along any join, repair or markings on the road.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
It is not like a Burgman 650 or some big bike (Goldwing), but seems fine to me at 70MPH actual (for what it is).

I am running car tire on rear and OEM originally and Kenda now on front (around 30PSI)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Liamjs, why not the Isuzu? :p
Never tried it. Plus you have to find one and somehow bend the bars.

The 3 Bros uses all the original hardware, so it's still adjustable front and back. And it's really strong, doesn't bend at all. For $60 (back then), the price was reasonable.

Lastly the K7+ 400s butt bumper is particularly comfortable. It's scalloped in the middle and kinda hugs your back from the sides. It's really comfortable for me and give a very secure, locked in feeling. I have a riser on the 650 bumper also, and don't get quite the same sensation.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If wind noise at speed is a problem, try some cheap foam earplugs, the higher the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) the better (if you're not using them already, in which case, disregard).
They really do improve things significantly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts