Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as you may or may not know, earlier this year I did a one day, 650 mile trip around Lake Erie for charity, and I did it on a 150cc Aprilia Scarabeo.

Well, the guy that organized is going to participate in an Iron Butt event around Lake Erie AND Lake Ontario, almost 1100 miles total. Of course, that not being crazy enough, he is going to do it on his "looper" machine, a 1970 Honda 125cc. He is asking us if us fellow loopers wanna go along.

So, here I go again!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What charity?

What charity is it for? If it is for mental health well...charity begins at home. I think you are NUTS! (I can say this 'cause I put over 4,000 miles on my 50cc last year although not all at once.)

Good for you. We'll be rooting for you...still thinking you are nuts but cheering you on none the less. :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Go fer it, Dude! Crazy is only a state of mind, & if you don't mind, it don't matter.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Is it an XL-125?

They'll do 50+ on a smooth road. I think the street version is good for another 10mph.

niegborbor buddy had a 72 XL-125 enduro. It was pretty creamy for a one-lunger. :p

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You said he was asking if you wanted to go. He isnt forcing you to go. If you do ride.........Your Loopers!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, it's a "CL125." This guy also did a tour AROUND the United States for charity a few years ago, over 12,000 miles on a 1965 Sears 106SS.

The guy has a heart of gold but man, he sure ain't wrapped too tight.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you are going crazy at least you are going somewhere :D

Janine

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sounds to me like your friend just likes to ride, and the charities are just a nice excuse.

If you like to ride, and enjoy the adventure, then ride. You don't even need a charity to do so, but if people will "fund" your adventure that way then let them.

Me? I'd take my 650. You can still follow the friend doing 50, but you'll have a nice big seat, more storage, and room for passenger if need be.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the ride I will take is my wife's Scarabeo 150 and, as stated before, it's the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. After 300 miles, the seating position is still perfect and the seat is so BIG, bigger than a 400 or a 650. It rides like a cloud and has a HUGE windshield. Of course, the top speed is 65 if you are lucky, but that's ok.

But I might take the Burgman 400 instead because he might need a "recovery" vehicle and the 400 will haul 2 people if needbe a lot easier than the 150 would.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well a CL is a better street ride than an XL - but I wouldn't want to ride one of them (owned several CL, CB, and XL's in my days) that small for nearly that far (not at once).

Hey Scuba Girl - what kind of 50cc do you have? My wife and I also have a Vespa ET2 and a Yamaha Zuma 50...

·
Registered
96 Posts
New Scarabeo 250

Aprilia is improving that bike even more by outfitting it with a sport shield larger than the present 'cup', larger trunk and going with a Piaggio 250. Although the jury is out on the new Piaggio engine that Rotax has pulled riders for better than 30K w/o any significant issues. If money were no object I would still have my 150 also.

Enjoy, sounds like fun.

bechtoea said:
Well, the ride I will take is my wife's Scarabeo 150 and, as stated before, it's the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. After 300 miles, the seating position is still perfect and the seat is so BIG, bigger than a 400 or a 650. It rides like a cloud and has a HUGE windshield. Of course, the top speed is 65 if you are lucky, but that's ok.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
50CC

Robert,

I no longer have Kitten my baby scoot. She is now on her third female getting into riding owner. It was a TNG Twist N' Go. Bought it for $1100 rode the heck out of it, sold it to a friend for $1000 and then she sold it to buy a bigger scoot.

I now have a 2003 Blue 650 that is almost complete. Riding around the neighborhood is really getting me down...can't wait for the open road.

Dee

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: New Scarabeo 250

Mybug said:
Aprilia is improving that bike even more by outfitting it with a sport shield larger than the present 'cup', larger trunk and going with a Piaggio 250. Although the jury is out on the new Piaggio engine that Rotax has pulled riders for better than 30K w/o any significant issues. If money were no object I would still have my 150 also.

Enjoy, sounds like fun.

bechtoea said:
My wife's Scarabeo has the LLLLLAAAARRRRGGGEEE factory touring shield. It is almost vertical. I am 6ft even and it comes up even with the top of my helmet.

Here are pics of my wife's ride as outfitted for the loop:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bechtoea

1 - 14 of 14 Posts