Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I currently own an NC700X Honda, but have gotten the Burgman bug. I can't decide if I want the 400 or the 650. I use my Honda for basic transportation around town, but also enjoy the longer multi-day trips. This past Summer I road from Kansas to California and back taking two weeks on the road.

So, I am here gathering information. It's too cold right now to get out much to look at the Burgmans up close, but as soon as it warms a bit, I will be doing that for sure. Several of my friends around the US have Burgman 650s and I think I am leaning towards that one, but the reduced weight of the 400 is also tempting as the weight of the Honda is almost too much for me now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Garydj, I just purchased a 400 a few days ago and have owned a 650 for about 2 years now. I'm 5'5" and weigh around 150 lbs. I love the 650 for it's touring abilities and when the bike is in motion you barely feel the weight. However when the bike is moving slow it's weight and height can be a challenge at times. I definitely have to be careful as to where and how I park the scoot if I want to be able to get it out of the parking spot. Now the 400 I've now owned for about 4 days and have ridden it twice both on fairly long rides of about 40 to 60 miles. I love the bike. The weight and height is night and day between the two bikes but the 400 rides similarly to the 650 but with just a little less power. Don't get me wrong it has plenty of power in it for my needs and I find myself cruising on the freeways at 80 to 90mph and not even realizing I'm going that fast. I wouldn't race cars of the line on a light but it can certainly keep up with traffic and then some. I think this 400 is going be my preferred bike over the 650 just because of it's ease of use and lightweight. Plus I can easily flat foot it to the ground on stops so it's a no stress ride for me each time. Hope this assessment helps you make up your mind when your ready.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If the Honda is too heavy for you the 400 will be what you want.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The 400 will be able to do whatever it is you want.
Didiki (Dick) rode his 400 Majesty for about 6 weeks
from Vancouver, BC, to Minnesota, then to Texas,
& then to Florida, & back...scooter camping..scamping.
He even wrote a book about his experience.
So he is an example, that it can be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! Just looking at the specs and leaning more towards the 400. I see the 650 is 613 lb, the 400 is 489 lb and my Honda is 472 lbs. I did not realize the 650 was over 100 lbs more. I wonder, is it the transmission that weighs so much more?

My local dealer only has the 650 for sale. I will have to go across the state line to Missouri to a dealer who has both models. With the Winter weather, this means a bit longer to make a decision I think.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Transmission may factor into it but the increased weight of the 650 results from lots of factors: bigger wheels, bigger engine (with more valves, cams, etc.), probably a bigger exhaust system, more complex mirror arrangement, moveable windshield; e.g. lots of factors. Maybe even a bigger glove box to hold the bigger wallet you need to buy the 650.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Maybe even a bigger glove box to hold the bigger wallet you need to buy the 650.
Now i got it why the trunk is smaller in favor of a larger glove box. The BMW box is even bigger than the trunk :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts