Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an old scooter that I'm trying to get back on the road. It's not a Burgman, but you might find it interesting. It's from the sixties and kind of rare. It hasn't run in over twenty years, the body is bent and twisted, tires cracked, cables broken and engine seized. First off I'll post a picture and see if you can figure out what it is.

.......Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
1960's Vespa Sportique 150 scooter made by Piaggo/Douglas

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but it is from the sixties and Italian. A couple hints: it was made by an Italian motorcycle company that has been in business for decades, but they're not known for scooters. They made these for three years when scooters were all the rage in Europe. It wasn't necessarily a flop, but the other companies (Piaggio was one of them) had a head start and made much better scooters.

........Paul

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Ducati Brio ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, but this company and Ducati do have a history together, they were once owned by the same company. This company was also once owned (for a short) by a very well known motorcycle company. They're motorcycles are available in the US, but there are very few dealers. Among motorcycle enthusists, they are known for they're performance and more likey to be seen on an international race track than on a road.

........Paul

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Moto Guzzi Galletto or 1960 Lambretta Li150

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not Moto Guzzi or Lambretta, although it has some very close similarities to the Lambratta models of that time. If you look closely at the picture, the emblem below the headlight has the name on it. The emblem shape has changed slightly over the years, but it is still recognizable.

....Paul

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well I know it’s not this one but a Burgman Retrofitted with this option would be neat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already then.....I like it. Maybe when (if) I get this thing going, I'll equip it with one of those nifty tents. Maybe I can get that red head to help me set it up. Maybe not, she's probably in her eighties by now:laugh.:laugh

Here's a better picture of the emblem

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
Looks sorta like my uncles 1960 Laverda scooter.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
1960 MV Agusta Chicco Scooter

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MV Agusta developed quite a reputation for building race bikes in the fifties and sixties, but they tried to get in on the scooter craze by developing a scooter in 1960. I think they must have sent spies over to Lambretta to steal some of their ideas as this scooter has many parts that are similar. By 1963 they weren't doing too well in sales, so the scooter was dropped. Some unique features of this scooter are cable operated standard shift transmission that's operated by rotating the left handlebar control and the MPH speedometer. As far as I know these were not intended for the US market so maybe it was originally sold in the UK. I started this project about a year ago and will post some updates as I move along.

............Paul

·
Super Moderator
5,416 Posts
Looks sorta like my uncles 1960 Laverda scooter.

If yer uncles scooter looks like that redhead, I'm ready to give her a wash and wax:devil

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some unique features of this scooter are cable operated standard shift transmission that's operated by rotating the left handlebar control
Maybe i'm missing some meanings (not a native english speaker) but is'nt this how Vespa and Lambretta always worked?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe i'm missing some meanings (not a native english speaker) but is'nt this how Vespa and Lambretta always worked?
Yes , you're correct. I should have said that it was "unique to me" as I wasn't familiar with that type of shifter. This was the first vintage scooter that I've ever worked on.

I see that you are from Italy, have you ever seen any Agusta scooters there?

...........Paul

·
Registered
348 Posts
I see that you are from Italy, have you ever seen any Agusta scooters there?
Nope.
I'm not a bike passionate (i mean, i love my burgman, but i don't follow the bike/scooter market until i need something) so i also never heard of MV in my youth (i was born in 1970).

Scooters in my youth was Vespa. Dot. I knew there was the big competitor which was Lambretta, but it was already vintage and not so common to see.
It was the era of 50cc little ... moped? dunno what's the word. so my friends were all on Piaggio Ciao and Bravo, or MZV Cobra and Cambridge.
Or on the Vespa PX.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the engine WAS seized, but after soaking the cylinder for a few weeks with some magic penetrating fluid and some grunting and groaning, the cylinder is off and the piston is free. The cylinder doesn't look too bad, I think some honig will clean it up, we'll see what we can do with the piston.

.......Paul

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts