Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local rider from the Seattle area had a spill last Sat and was released from Hospital Tuesday Morn. He will come on and explain what happened later. All he remembers is looking right to change lanes, did another head check right and woke up with Rescue and police all around. His helmet has glass embedded in it from the SUV's rear window that stopped his forward movement. He said he was doing OK enough.

These can sneek up on ya fast. He was doing most things right with the head checks before turning, but the traffic stopped short while he was looking right.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sorry to hear about it. Happens to the best of us. Hope he's okay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i dont believe none of us like hearing about things like this happening but on the other hand its good to know, that way it keeps us on our toes and reminds us to all be on alert at all times. you can never let your gaurd down. i remember when i fisrt started riding a M/C i felt like i lost all sense of security. ive had many close encounters with traffic.
i hope he recovers ASAP

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
i dont believe none of us like hearing about things like this happening but on the other hand its good to know, that way it keeps us on our toes and reminds us to all be on alert at all times. you can never let your gaurd down. i remember when i fisrt started riding a M/C i felt like i lost all sense of security. ive had many close encounters with traffic.
i hope he recovers ASAP
Yep. I'll be on a little 600 mile jaunt next week and I use these little (and big) tragedies to remind me not to get cocky.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hello all, the subject rider would be me. Thanks for all the good wishes. I think my poor 650 is in worse shape that I am, especially left-side tupperware, some of which I had just repaired. Also bent the handlebar and took out the left turn-signal lens in the mirror, destroyed my nice Clearview shield and left-side manic salamander weight, and broke the end off the left (rear) brake handle. Haven't started stripping tupperware to determine if there's any more structural damage. The electrical system seems fine and the right-turn signal was still on, confirming what I thought, that I was in the process of trying to change lanes very cautiously when the line of d**n cages ahead of me jammed on their brakes during that scant 1-2 seconds when my forward vision was blocked. Impact was all on the left including my body. I heard something about 15-20mph when I was being treated at the trauma center which meshes with my recall. Haven't seen the police report.

I'm sure that I'd be a vegetable or dead if I hadn't had that excellent Shoei helmet on (its replacement has already arrived).

If the sun comes out today I may roll Lardy out of the garage and check the fluids before trying to fire it up.

BTW, any of you in the Seattle area who want 2 NON-recommendations of towing outfits, feel free to PM me. Also, if you have AMA towing coverage, it won't pay for this type of transport, da**it.

Analysis: make shorter head-checks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just went out and bought a bright lime green full face helmet today. It wouldn't have helped in your circumstance but I figure that with me riding a black bike I need all the visibility I can get. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get to feeling better soon. The bike can be replaced, you can't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts