Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left Raleigh NC on the evening of July 2 and rode up to Harrisburg, PA. Got a little sleep and made it to Ellsworth ME Saturday July 3rd. The scooter was absolutely great eating up the miles. On the trip, I traveled with a guy on a 650 KLR and a couple on a V-Strom 1000.

Sunday Morning I rode from Ellsworh to Bar Harbor to catch The Cat Ferry over to Yarmouth Nova Scotia. It’s the fastest ferry in North America and makes the trip in about 3 hours. Very comfortable, very smooth. I secured the scooter with a Canyon Dancer bar tie and some ratcheting ties to the metal deck of the ferry just to be on the safe side, and was not completely at peace ‘til we had docked and I saw that everything was o.k.

I started traveling around the peninsula to Black Duck Seaside Country Inn in Port Dufferin, NS. Site seeing turned what should have been a four hour trip into well over double that, so my buddies and I ended up in the coastal fog, on twisties, at night. Sort of spooky.

I eventually made it up to Meat Cove, which is the Northernmost community in Nova Scotia. You can get to it only on a dirt road which goes on for miles, so I parked the scooter and road pillion on the back of the KLR.

We continued onto St. John NB and onto Bar Harbor, ME.

From Bar Harbor ME we headed to Newport, RI to check out a couple of historic mansions along the shoreline (The Breakers, and Marble House)

From Newport RI to we went to Lancaster, PA to see the Amish. Got there, decided to skip the sightseeing, eat dinner, go to sleep.
Yesterday, Sunday the 11th we rode from Lancaster, PA to Raleigh NC.

According to the GPS, the trip was somewhat over 3700 miles. I was very impressed with the scooter…except the suspension. It simply can not deal with frost heaves in the pavement, or rough surfaces in general. There was a bunch of that up north, but it’s not something I typically have to deal with in Raleigh. Also, I found it rarely necessary to use the Power Mode; normal seems more than enough typically.

I sighted a couple other Burgmen on the trip; a sliver one with a black Givi case traveling south on the interstate near Middletown, NY on Saturday the 3rd, and a blue one traveling north, two up, on the interstate near New Haven, CT on Saturday the 10th.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Sounds like you had an awesome trip! If you've got any pics, upload a few to the Gallery so we can enjoy some of the scenery too.

You are right about the suspension. We have cement road ridges, frost heave, and heavy duty railroad crossings out here - plus the usual assortment of manhole covers & potholes. The railroad crossings will jar your brains loose if you take them on the Burgman any faster then 5 or 6 mph. The V-Strom, with it's big wheels & long travel suspension just rolls over that stuff like it doesn't even care that it is there.

Outside of that, the big scooter is proving to be a reliable and capable tourer. Thanks for sharing your trip experience with us.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pauljo said:
Sounds like you had an awesome trip! If you've got any pics, upload a few to the Gallery so we can enjoy some of the scenery too.
I picked about seven photos and resized them to the requested 800X600 max. They are in an album called "Nova Scotia" in the Gallery. I took close to 200 photos on the trip, mostly scenery that was not moto specific.

This was an exerience unlike any thing I've done before, even though I have put in a couple 600 plus mile days on my departed ZX-6R. Those days were just highway miles; this was much more engaging. I can only compare it to being in an I-Max theater for 8 hours a day. All in all, it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I certainly grew to understand and respect the scooter.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Pretty scenery.

I think the Gallery software will automatically resize the photos for you when you upload them. I usually shoot in 1024x768 mode, and they upload fine - it goes through a "processing" phase after each pic is uploaded. My guess is that resizing is happening at that point.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Beautiful pics, great story. Thanks for sharing it. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts