Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of a ride from my home in Northern Michigan to the Saguanay in Northeastern Canada. I'd be doing this the first couple weeks in September, or, the last couple weeks in September with the possibility on going into October a bit.

I'd be following Hwy. 17 across to Ottowa, then to Montreal, then I'd follow the north side of the St. Lawrence the rest of the way.

My question is how are the roads up in that sparsely populated area and what kind of weather could I expect? Both September and October are great months in Northern Michigan. In fact, they are my favourite!

Hopefully some of you folks from that area can fill me in on what to expect.

One more thing, are there any French phrases that you would suggest I learn for such a trip. For instance, while in Greece, I learned to say "Sorry, I don't speak Greek! Do you speak English?" It was very helpful and the Greek folks appreciated that I was attempting to use their language. My wife is fluent in many languages, including French, and could teach me some basics.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
We have better routes for you.
Join up and ask here
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?55-Cruising-Touring

The weather is the same as yours so is Quebec.

I'd tend to stay well north

Montreal traffic is horrendous just don't period.

I'd tend to advise getting into Ontario - stay north of Toronto, cut up to North Bay - then head to Rouyn-Noranda and across the Northern TransCanada.

I'd suggest this for outbound

https://goo.gl/maps/v5rJb

There are good roads around Mount Tremblant.
If you are touristing then Ottawa is worth a look as is Old Quebec City.
They all speak English if necessary...you'll get by fine.

South side of the St. Lawrence is "okay".

You alternative for weather is to cut down at North Bay to Pembroke and mosey into Ottawa then over to St. Jerome....stay out Montreal....period....full stop. :D

and you get to go across this twice!!!

There is a lovely road you should try and catch Quebec 391 - freshly paved....take it into Noranda-Rouyn

pretty area

The TransCanada ( 17 ) is a major highway and not all that much fun to be on until you get to Rouyn -Noranda.
Stop at Al Van Houte for a coffee....lovely break.

Make sure you are hydrated....tht loop east from there is lovely and long.

Very much like Northern Michigan...this is along the northern part of 17

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MacDoc,

I did want to make a stop in Ottawa. I was there many years ago and got to see, what I was told, the last of the great log drives. Miles and miles of logs being floated down the river. I also got to see, and hear, miles and miles of pipe bands. If I recall it was some kind of Boy Scout parade. I love bagpipes! There was also the canal that runs through the downtown area with a lot of great music at night.

Guess I'll get to Ottawa either going or coming. I'll also join the suggested group.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - catch it one direction or the other - once you are on the road I can make other suggestions depending on where you are.

There are fab museums in Ottawa - if you stay downtown in the Byward Market area you can walk to everything.

Then just follow the river north if it's on your way home.

Old Quebec City and Ottawa are the tourist places to catch.

Keep me posted on this as I might tag up in North Bay and part way around then see daughter in Ottawa.

Depends on the weather.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MacDoc,

I'll keep you all posted. Right now just waiting for the shop to be done with my bike. That's why I don't know when I'll be leaving.

John

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Saguenay is a wonderful place, what an air too -- breathe deeper! :cool:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Saguenay - Lac St-jean is a beautiful area, also you must visit Charlevoix region as well next door, go whale watching on a boat, visit the fjords, you not have problem getting aound in English, Québec city is a must for several day, Québec city is gastronomical capital of Canada, it also oldest city in North America with very French flavor, not same French as France or Louisiana. Very new 4 lane highway between Québec city and Saguenay just watch for deer, moose, bear and gigantic racoon after dark. A ride around lake Lac St-Jean is a must. Montreal is beautiful city well worth visit, know for great restaurant, entertainment and beautiful women. Montreal extremely cosmopolitan city. English langauge in Montreal and Québec city not a problem at all, in Saguenay & Charlevoix it bit more limited but not a problem in tourist area as well as hotel, motel, restaurant, etc.

Beatiful view and scenery everywhere you go.

Lot of road construction in Montreal presently, patience sometime require, if not travel during peak/rush hour will be fine.

Bonjour = Good morning

Bonsoir = Good night

Molson Dry & Molson X = Best beer in world :D

S'il vous plait = Please

Merci = Thank you

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will tend to stay away from the tourist areas when possible. It's the outdoor beauty and the cultural flavour of the folks I'm after.

I'll be camping whenever possible. Any advice on where to camp?

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
There are lots of spots everywhere along the TransCanada and the Ottawa River.
OWL would be fun...take a fabulous whitewater raft ride.
http://www.owl-mkc.ca/owl/

I've kayaked and rafted it - lovely that time of year.

Bicyclists use the TransCanada to go across the country.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are lots of spots everywhere along the TransCanada and the Ottawa River.
OWL would be fun...take a fabulous whitewater raft ride.
http://www.owl-mkc.ca/owl/

I've kayaked and rafted it - lovely that time of year.

Bicyclists use the TransCanada to go across the country.
My wife and I had a sea kayak outfitting business in Greece for many years. Haven't done much whitewater, but that sure looks fun. Probably won't do any this trip, but can check things out for the future.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like a great trip.

However, turns out my dealer took 3 weeks to install a new STP sensor and now I don't have time for any extended trip. (See my "Need a Another Bike" thread.)

Always be next summer!

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Next week looks fantastic. I'm trying to get a week away for a Smokies run but some scheduling conflicts with daughter are putting a damper on it.

This is also a concern which means I should get going on Friday or Sat this week while it's still warm.

Wanna meet up in Western PA?? Stay in the warm while it lasts?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next week looks fantastic. I'm trying to get a week away for a Smokies run but some scheduling conflicts with daughter are putting a damper on it.

This is also a concern which means I should get going on Friday or Sat this week while it's still warm.

Wanna meet up in Western PA?? Stay in the warm while it lasts?
Sounds like a great time. I've lost my my window of free time and won't be going anywhere till the beginning of October. Hope to scoot down to Peoria, IL for DecFest, a gathering of stereo enthusiasts.

Smokies do sound good this time of year.

John

·
Registered
493 Posts
went to east part of Quebec in mid-october 2 years ago for a hhigh school reunion.

Be careful when riding at night, black ice can be present.
After labor day, must of the camping ground are close.
If you have an electric jacket, insulated gloves and boots and a good jacket to cut the through the winds, you are good to go.

Montreal is not so bad outside of its 3 rush hour traffic period. Crossing the island by the middle is not worse than other big city in the us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts