4th gear 40 to 50 kph ?????
5th gear 50 to ??? kph ???????

And then would the OD (6th gear) not kick in

Why would one have to be breaking the speed limit at 120 or 130 kph
in order to utilize the OD.

On my wife's Ford Focus, the OD can be disengaged between 50 & 60 kph

To Pete: BUMP is what my grandkids call me, and they are at the top
or my vbf's list......Don't remember how it started all those
years ago, but it stuck and now that's my name....

Gone - BUMP -

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The answer is: shifting occurs from 0kph to 50kph and beyond and everywhere in between. The Burgman's belt transmission, whether the CVT of the 650 or the rubber belt of the 400, is continually shifting to keep the engine working at it's optimum speed. It's very different than a car's transmission. The 650 does have pre-determined 'gears' when it's in the manual mode, but in the normal mode and power mode, it's not in any defined gear. That's why it's called a 'Continuously Variable Transmission'.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ditto what Dean said. The 650 has an electronicaly controlled CVT (SECVT), and the 400 has a mechanically controlled one (variator).

In manual mode the '05 650's "OD" light is the 6th Gear indicator, but in auto mode the CVT will go into a higher range than the pre-'05 650s by itself.

We don't know yet exactly if or when the OD light will come on in auto mode, and no one has yet reported a speed/RPM curve for the '05s for comparison with the older ones.

frugality said:
...It's very different than a car's transmission....
Very different than most cars' transmissions.

The 2005 Ford 500/Mercury Montego is available with an AWD/CVT package, and I think one of the Japanese automakers has a CVT vehicle out in Japan, or will have soon (Honda, maybe?).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Brian said:

The 2005 Ford 500/Mercury Montego is available with an AWD/CVT package, and I think one of the Japanese automakers has a CVT vehicle out in Japan, or will have soon (Honda, maybe?).
Ya, ya, ya... :wink: Actually, the Honda Civic HX had a CVT option a good 6 years ago, and I believe the Subaru Justy also had one way back, but like the rest of the car, it wasn't very good. Today you can get CVT's on the these cars:
the abovementioned Montego
Honda Civic HX
Honda Civic hybrid
Toyota Prius hybrid
Saturn Vue
Cooper Mini
and maybe others I can't think of.

But most people don't know what CVT transmissions are, and don't know that they're even availible on cars these days.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
frugality said:
Today you can get CVT's on the these cars:
Honda Civic HX
Honda Civic hybrid
Toyota Prius hybrid
Saturn Vue
Cooper Mini

But most people don't know what CVT transmissions are, and don't know that they're even availible on cars these days.
I know what they are, of course, but other than the Montego/500 I didn't know of the others that were available. I'll have to look into that more closely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
frugality said:
Brian said:
Honda Civic HX
Honda Civic hybrid
Toyota Prius hybrid
Saturn Vue
Cooper Mini

I'm sure my additions to your list won't be exhaustive, either:
- Audi A4
- Nissan Murano
- Ford Escape

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bump. until someone tests the '05 650s, we do not know if there is any "real" higher (OD) ratio in the auto mode than the 03s and 04s. Currently, it depends on who you talk to.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If it stops raining and warms up a little maybe I can provide some real life experience with my 2005 Burgman. So far, I managed to get into the OD position only in the manual mode. Funny that nothing is written in the owner's manual regarding this or from discussions with any living being at Suzuki.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Timothy Ma said:
Funny that nothing is written in the owner's manual regarding this or from discussions with any living being at Suzuki.
T'was ever thus 8)

So, what's new about that?

Timothy, you will probably learn far more about your burg here on BurgmanUSA than anywhere else. :(

As it stands right now, we will be learning from you, soon as the weather permits. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
forthguy said:
I'm sure my additions to your list won't be exhaustive, either:
- Audi A4
- Nissan Murano
- Ford Escape
Wait a minute; the Ford Escape is the first production hybrid to offer an "all electric" mode. Based on that, does it have a CVT? Does it have a transmission at all? Or does the gas engine provide juice to the electric motor, which in turn propels the vehicle? (Electric motors don't need transmissions, because they can supply full torque at low -- almost no -- RPM.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brian said:
Wait a minute; the Ford Escape is the first production hybrid to offer an "all electric" mode. Based on that, does it have a CVT? Does it have a transmission at all? Or does the gas engine provide juice to the electric motor, which in turn propels the vehicle? (Electric motors don't need transmissions, because they can supply full torque at low -- almost no -- RPM.)
From here:

Note: The 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid uses a planetary gear set connected to a generator motor, effectively acting as an advanced electronic continuously variable automatic transmission. It is different from the CVT in the Five Hundred, Freestyle and Montego because it does not use cone-shaped pulley and a chain or belt.
They seem to call it an Electronically Controlled CVT.

(Frankly, I didn't know. I just knew that Edmunds had listed a Ford Escape CVT.)

Greg

G

·
0 Posts
Ford had big problems with the development of a Hybird system. Basicly they couldn't develop it. So, they went to Toyota and pruchased the information. Most all of Ford's Hybird system is a Toyota at heart... They probably converted the metric bolts to english to call it theirs. lol The Hybird system they got was for the Toyota Highlander that is to be out mid '05 here in the States.

I found this review that will back up what I already knew... in the artical you will see enough to confirm what I've said... I didn't want to post this with out an out side referance of some kind.

http://trucks.about.com/od/suvreviews/fr/05_hybridescape.htm
On the Road
While the basic system used in the Escape Hybrid is licensed from Toyota, Ford’s engineers claim they have considerably modified the Toyota system and, in many instances, improved on it...
(Ford's later claim trying to save face for having to purchase the rights from Toyota because they couldn't come up with the system on their own I'm guessing.)

I didn't know if anyone knew this... didn't see it posted... thought I'd throw it in.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
Timothy Ma said:
Funny that nothing is written in the owner's manual regarding this or from discussions with any living being at Suzuki.
T'was ever thus 8)
And ever thus shall be. :wink:

On the American Suzuki Web site they still list the '04 650 as "Shaft Driven" and the colors for the '05s as silver and black.

My dealer tried to charge me for a valve job on my 650 because the Sukuki software said it needed one. Seems Suzuki just copied over the 400 info. Now I take a photocopy of my Owner's Manual service chart each time I go in for service.

The attitude at Suzuki seems to be, "Put something in print; it doesn't matter if it's right or wrong." Equally bad, maybe even worse, is that they don't correct their mistakes. (I'm sure someone must have pointed out the errors by now.)

There is one very good depository of Burgman information, though.

You're looking at it.

Three cheers for Burgman USA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts