Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the factory rims on the 650? If so what brand? Are you happy? Cost?

I have to replace both rims and thought maybe I'd go flashy with chrome or a neat spoke placement. I don't know how it would work with the brakes and such...are motorcycle wheels "standard" like cars are?

Maybe this belongs in the Newbie Questions?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Dee

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Dee,

I've not heard of any replacement rims available in the US yet. There'd probably be a better chance of importing them from Japan where they go bit wild customizing their scoots.

·
Registered
969 Posts
ScubaGirl said:
I have to replace both rims . . .
Dee
Huh? There's gotta be a story behind this. Why?

Steve

·
Registered
689 Posts
When I was in Tokyo last week did see a few Burgman 650 with none stock rims, tried to ask one of them where and what kind of rim he had but of course he did not speak any English. That would be something I defiantly would consider for my Burg, if any one get info let us all know.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Unfortunately, the Burgman 650's wheel sizes are unique. Smaller in diameter than any motorcycle, and larger in diameter and width than other scooters. So any custom wheels would have to be manufactured specifically for this scooter. Likelihood of finding any in the USA is almost zero. I agree that Japan, or possibly Europe, might have something available. Painting, refinishing, chroming of the stock rims are also possible options.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rest of the story...

Steve,

There really isn't a story...yet. I purchased a wrecked 2003 650 and am going to be restoring it. Supposedly both rims are cracked or chipped and the tires won't hold air. I won't know everything that is wrong until I get it sometime next week. I will be posting "the story" and associated pics once I get it and get started tearing it down for the rebuild.

I originally bought it as project for myself and thought maybe get a bit of help from hubby. (He was dead set against me getting my 1st scooter two years ago.) It now turns out that Jack is getting excited about the project...and this weekend Alex, my 11 year old informed me that he can't wait to get started. Sarah, my 6 year old is always in the garage "helping" work on the cars or tinkering with her warthog (a 4X4 ride on Jeep) so she'll probably get into the act somehow as well. I think they all watch too much Monster Garage!

While I was a bit peeved at everyone horning in on the project the benefit may be that I get to ride it sooner...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: The rest of the story...

ScubaGirl said:
While I was a bit peeved at everyone horning in on the project the benefit may be that I get to ride it sooner...
...or not at all. :shock: J/K :wink:

Steve

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not at all...

...or not at all. J/K
I deliberately chose NOT to mention that! :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Afraid Sarah is gonna take the scoot from mommy? :p

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Afraid?

Sarah's feet don't even touch the floor boards...YET! She is my daredevil and would ride it in a heartbeat if she could. She wanted an electric pocket bike for Christmas that runs 18mph! The 5 mph with the Jeep is MORE than enough. The only speed she knows is floored both forward and reverse! (She doesn't like to "shift" down to 2 1/2mph...guess she's primed for a scoot later on!)

What I am afraid of is:

My family tends to get carried away with projects (adding, changing, modifying original plan...) and everyone has "another" cool idea to try... :roll: I think I'm going to have to put a time limit on getting this back together or it may become a lifetime work in progress.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
My son had one of those little Jeeps a long time ago when we lived at the beach. We put better batteries in it, added a cassette deck, and small speakers behind the roll bar. When going (2 streets) over to the beach, he'd strap a boogie board behind the roll bar, put a towel and small cooler in the passenger seat and he was ready to go! Don't even want to remember the number of times I had to push the thing back home because he'd ran the batteries outta juice.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Scuba Girl,

I think understand your feelings. This project is a labor of love and you need to breathe life into it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Jeep

So Bill...were the speakers and radio for his benefit or yours? :D That is a great idea!

The Jeep is really too small for her now so we won't be doing any mods like that but I'll keep it in mind for her next vehicle!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: The Jeep

ScubaGirl said:
So Bill...were the speakers and radio for his benefit or yours? :D
His. If I heard the Beach Boys song "I get around" one more time, I'd probably have ended up going completely nuts (rather than the partially crazy that I am now). :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah ha!

Yup, I know the feeling. We have to go on it's a Small World at least 10 times EVERY time we go to the Magic Kingdom...I can sing that song in 26 different languages!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts