Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a Nolan N104 helmet. One big question for me, is on the sun visor. I know it pops back instantly with a spring loaded mechanism. But can you lower it partially on the way down?

I find on my current helmet, that if I lower the sunvisor all the way, it darkens the dash and GPS more than I'd like. But I can raise it slightly and get the additional shading on the road and sky, but see the dash and GPS just fine. As nice as this helmet seems to be, I'm not keen on losing that capability.

Any other pluses or minuses that you can think of?

The other helmet I'm thinking of, is the Nolan N90. The HJC Symax III looks good, but with no chin shield to cut down on the cold air flowing up, that's a deal breaker.

Chris

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I have trouble seeing my satnav through shades but with the N43 air helmet I have, with the sun visor down I can still see the satnav under the bottom of the visor. I do have my satnav mounted under the top of the dash though, right in front of the speedo - I use the speedo on the sat nav as (a) my oe speedo is partially obscured and (b) the satnav speedo s accurate!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
2 complaint friend have on Nolan 104, sun visor + shield have a bit distortion, like sun visor go down more and place bit further.

Try Shoei Neotec, me have one, cost more money but fantastic helmet, so confortable.

Not all face, nose, chin same, need try out many model.

Good luck with choice.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just a word of cation about the internal shape and sizing of these two helmets. They are different. N90 is more round than N104 and smaller. If you decide to buy N90, buy +1 size. I also feel that with N90 Nolan has cut too many corners with the quality of the liner and neck roll.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I'll be post-poning the decision for awhile perhaps. Though I could easily drop my Scorpion helmet on the pavement next week and damage it enough to need to replace it.

I called Scorpion support this morning and they are sending me another chin bar. The only questions asked were when I bought it, and what my address and phone number were.

He said they had redesigned the latching mechanism which has failed twice. Time will tell. It's a great helmet otherwise...and I can't fault it for being more than a slight inconvenience since they are replacing the chin bar - twice now - for free.

Maybe in the mean time, Nolan will get smart and offer a hi-vis model. I really am sold on that color to be seen by cagers. I think I'll spend some time in the local dealership trying on both Nolans to see what I like about each and for sizing. That way when I need to buy a new helmet, I'll already know what I need and can order it.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Chris
I really like my Nolan N43E. :thumbup: Yes it doesn't come in hi-vis color but as my jacket is that wasn't a deal killer. As stated with the sunvisor down I can see my dash under the visor. This is the only helmet that the sun visor didn't rest on my glasses or nose. Other thing a like it I can put it on (once the chin guard is removed) with my glasses still on. :cheers: I had a Zox modular before & this Nolan is lighter and just a all round better helmet than anything else I tried, and I tried them all on. :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I can't tell you much about the N104 but I really like my N90. You can set the inside visor on it at a partial down position. There is nothing to hold it there but friction. I've ridden with mine partially down a couple of times and it seemed to stay where I put it but I can not say for sure that it always would. Like Steve D I have my GPS mounted down lower so I can see it under the Inside visor. I can also see the dash under the inside visor. That means the normal mode for me is either fully down or fully raised.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Chris
I tested my inside visor on my Nolan N43E and it also can be used in any place and doesn't need to be fully down. I just never used it that way. :wink: Revzilla had the best price so that's were I got mine from. Had it over six months now and can say it's first rate in my book. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have a Nolan90. The first helmet I ever really, really liked. It DOES have a piece that fits across the bottom to keep the air from coming up, but I have yet to discover how to put it on. All in all, this is a great helmet. Very comfortable for me. Like the fog-free visor, the sun visor. The modularity of it all. It works for me in all types of riding.

Nan

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
countryartist said:
It DOES have a piece that fits across the bottom to keep the air from coming up, but I have yet to discover how to put it on.
The lower air guard was in place on mine when I unpacked it from the box. I pulled it out because I dislike those things. Anyway the tabs on it just slip in between the bottom of the chin bar and the inter piece that holds the locking mechanism.

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a very pleasant surprise in the past couple days.

First, Scorpion will have the new chin bar to the house tomorrow. No cost to me. Their customer service is outstanding.
Second...my daughter's helmet. :shock: It's a full-face Icon Alliance (previous generation) that I bought on clearance from New Enough Leathers about 4-5 years ago for about $88. There's nothing fancy about it.

But it works...extremely well. The visor is crystal clear, which my Scorpion's is too...well was till I wore it, tossed it into the trunk, etc. But that's not Scorpion's fault at all. Still...you have to look through it. There are a lot of detents on the visor. You can find one that will work for whatever conditions you're in to keep the visor clear from fogging. And then I noticed how quiet it was. Wow! Even without earplugs, it was quiet. The funny thing is the padding doesn't touch my ears. But there is no wind noise with the visor closed. And when you turn your head, it is like there's nothing there. It is really light weight...and well balanced.

I like a modular helmet for several reasons, but there are some definite advantages to a full-face helmet like this one.

Chris

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
+1 on Full Face being lighter, quieter, and comfy
Once the temps hit the 40's out comes the Full Face Helmet. It is quieter and hence warmer with less ambient air flowing.
I do not like the restriction of them, especially with glasses, but they serve their purpose when needed.
I do have a helmet for each season/occasion and use them all regularly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe in the mean time, Nolan will get smart and offer a hi-vis model. I really am sold on that color to be seen by cagers.
Although this is an old thread, I figured I'd let Daboo know that the Hi-Vis N104s are available. I got mine yesterday. The N43 Trilogy and N44 are also Hi-Vis.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I've recently bought one. Sun visor is either up or down only and it does come down further than the one in my N43E helmet. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is an adjustment you can make to set how much it comes down by. Retracts in just a fraction of a second though with a quick swipe of the back of my hand along the left side collar piece - no need to feel about for the small release button. Had a minor issue with the actual helmet when the BT kit was fitted but sorted that myself rather that send it back to the dealers/manufacturers. Much better all round compared to my N43 which I will be keeping for open faced summer use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BTW.... a 104 does not fit under the seat. Too tall. Love the helmet but have to lock it to the pillion hand grips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts