Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have opinions on the quality for the price of Nolan helmets. i am considering the N90 or the N104

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've owned two Nolan helmets and found the quality of both to be good. I had a N102 that I wore out and I am currently wearing a N90 which I like a lot.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
First, apologies in advance, I am usually incapable of giving short answers so, here goes...I've got an N90 I really like. Here is what I've found - A pro and a con is the finish. They have a very scratch resistant finish - good. However, it is also brittle - bad. Not too long after purchasing, I was carrying it by the strap (as I had my older helmet) but, since it doesn't use D rings it slipped from my grasp. The short drop cracked/chipped that outer finish. The paint and shell were okay so, have kept using it. If I carry it by the strap now, I buckle it together first. Speaking of the strap, I really like the latch mechanism. I don't have to kick myself if I forget and put my gloves on first, as it is very easy to latch and unlatch even with winter gloves on, where I found D-rings very cumbersome unless I was not gloved. Compared to the HJC IS MAX BT I used previously, it is quieter; the chin bar is easier to latch in place and I prefer the double-latch mechanism for it; the sun visor is more effective and to me, easier to use; the face shield has a center tab to lift up so, it doesn't tend to bind when lifting it like the HJC did with its offset lift tab; it comes with a chin wind guard (appreciated in the winter) and; the Nolan has far less, if any leakage in the rain. The only other negative about the Nolan I can think of is that for some reason, the detentes that hold the face shield up at various positions aren't all the same, with the uppermost not being as solid. Not only is this visible by inspection (they are visible at the hinge mechanism) but, when riding with the face shield in the uppermost position at higher speeds or with extra backdraft from particular riding conditions, the shield tends to suddenly blow down. As I wear glasses and thus have eye protection, I prefer to ride with it up except in rainy or cold conditions. I may try to deepen those top detentes a little. Because of the black plastic trim piece along the lower edge, I had to cut a small hole in it to pass through the clamp mechanism of my Scala Rider communicator. Afterwards, I remembered I had a stick on pad that could have avoided that but, no big deal. All in all, like I said, I really like the helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
My wife and I both have N104s. The more I ride, the better I like it. I had had a Schuberth C3 that was destroyed in an accident. The N104 is its equal at less than half the price. Even better when you add a communicator -- the Ncom is soooo well integrated and works just great (if you read the instructions!). I've tried a Shoei Neotec and sold it after a couple of months. I hated it. The N104 is one great helmet.

BTW, SHARP rates the safety of the $350 N104 better than the $700 Shuberth.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Planning to order a Nolan N43 Trilogy tthis week. Will by my first Nolan helmet. It is a modular with removeable chin guard, flip up shield, and integrated sun shield. I have a half helmet with sunshield and really like those shields.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I have both an N90 and an N43 Trilogy. I like the N43 for warm weather. It is very cool even with the chin guard. The N90 has a chin curtain so it is somewhat warmer and quieter. In the winter I wear a black (to absorb heat) HJC FS-15 Carbon with a breath box. It was nice and warm at 28 degrees F @ 80mph, and NO fog.

The Nolan strap lock is wonderful and I have grown to hate D rings. The HJC was purchased before the Nolans and it is probably the last non-Nolan that I will ever buy because of that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had an earlier Nolan flip front, possibly the N-100 or something like that. It was okay - better than the comprable HJC modular. But it was noisy and the visor would slam shut at highway speeds - it would not stay up. Ventilation was okay.

Currently, I have the Trilogy helmet with the removable chin guard. Ventilation is poor. I only use it when I ride into town or in our development. It is noisy too. I'm sorry that I bought it.

Mostly, I use my old Shoei Multitec and my new Neotec. Both are much better than the Nolan(s).

·
Registered
23 Posts
LIke GreenHeron, I have an N90 for winter and an N43 for summer. I find both to be comfortable and relatively quiet (with earplugs, of course). A plus is that' it's fairly easy to move the BT between them,

It would be hard to find a better overall value, and I expect I'll continue to trust my head to them for years to come. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Since have had Shoei's have not had other make of helmet that fit and feel so much confortable on my head, last year before buy Shoei Neotec also try N104 several times it fit ok but not confortable like Neotec. Have Nolan N43 Trilogy it very noisy and quality not close at all to Shoei quality and feel, same thing with N104, If you have a little more money you can spend suggest you try Neotec several times at least 30 minute each time then decide. It not pleasant ride 300-400 mile a day and have helmet that not confortable enough that it bug and irritate you.

Not all helmet fit all head confortably so important to try try and try, must keep helmet on for good while to get real very good feel of the helmet.

All organ in body and all other part function well because of what inside head, so very important helmet fit good and protect to maximum.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Chérie said:
S
Not all helmet fit all head comfortably so important to try try and try, must keep helmet on for good while to get real very good feel of the helmet.

I live in a small town and could not find a dealer that had a Nolan N104 to try on. I took a chance and ordered one on the internet. I had to return it. It was very well made and would have been fine except the top of my ears were being rolled over and was uncomfortable. Cherie is right. If you cannot try it on before you buy it, don't buy it. I will stick with my HJC IS-33 helmet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have had my Nolan N43E trilogy for a few weeks now. It will probably become one of my all time favorite helmets. The versatility factor is 10/10. Could not stand to wear a lot of the Nolan helmets but this one is a winner. My head shape is round to neutral and most helmets don't fit me well. Number one factor for buying a helmet is comfort and you have to try on a lot of helmets.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
+1 :thumbup: for the Nolan N43E. If you wear glasses it's the only one to go with. :cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok Thanks everyone for your input. I purchased a pair of Nolan 104 for me and the Mrs. Communication works great, For around town radio works well too. Will have to work something out for longer trips.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have an N90. It is absolutely the best, most comfortable helmet I have ever had. It was pricey for me but decided I deserved it and I haven't regretted it for a second.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
All my helmets roll my ears over unless I use a helmet liner. I have a Scorpion Exo 700 that was my first full face helmet. It is uncomfortably tight in the cheeks, but it was my first full face and I thought they are supposed to be tight. I just didn't know how tight was tight enough. I keep it because I consider it a work of art.

When I wear the HJC (because the breath box keeps it from fogging at any temperature, including into the 20s) I have to wear a helmet liner. Since I only wear it in sub-freezing temperatures the liner is also good for added warmth.

With either Nolan I just pull out on one strap or the other, slip my other hand in, and flatten out my ear. With the Trilogy I do that before I snap the chin guard in place - which is only used if I am going to ride on the super slab.

That's what works for me. For anybody else, I can't say.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Wore out a N100 after long use, years ago. Great helmet.
Had a N41, fewer years ago. The visor helped cut down noise*, and it was a comfortable helmet, but I couldn't find a brick-and-mortar source for replacement face shields. Thanks for reminding me, though, as I've found a couple of online sources for one, and will be able to bring it back into use fairly soon.

*just catches the airflow off the top edge of the windscreen to deflect it over the helmet rather than straight into the faceshield and down.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Nolan's N104 is a nice helmet, but the chin vent lets in little air.

I took off the chin curtain and it helped a bit. Finally, I disassembled the chin bar and carved straight-through holes in the foam from the exterior vent. This undoubtedly voids the warranty and might compromise safety a bit, but it really works. Lots of air on the hottest day with the visor closed at speed.

If you want a stock helmet that vents really well, try the Shoei GT Air. Not a modular and also a bit pricey

·
Registered
806 Posts
I live in a small town and could not find a dealer who even carried Nolan helmets. They all said they could order me one but didn't keep them in stock. Out of desperation I ordered a Nolan 104 on the internet. It was a beautiful helmet and very well made. I had to send it back. The top of my ears were being rolled over by the fit although I ordered the right size. With no sales tax and free shipping it's tempting to order products on the internet but beware it might not be exactly what you want. I ordered a pair of "Sliders" pants and the same thing happened. I sent them back for a smaller size.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts