Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased new in June 2014 from dealer.At a cruising speed of 55 to 60mph a steady howl can be heard coming from the rear of the scooter.Slightly closing the throttle eliminates most of the noise.It sounds like a worn or failing bearing.
Dealer tech says its just a Burgman being a Burgman.This is my first scooter,I have been riding motor cycles since 1965,mostly Gold Wings and an Harleys.I have about 1600 miles on the scooter.The dealer doesn't have another scooter I could try to see if the noise is common in the 2013 650 scooters.I would be interested in hearing from other owners if they are experiencing the same noise or is the dealer just trying to avoid fixing it.Other than this problem I am very satisfied with the scooter.If you did have the same problem and your dealer repaired it or you fixed it yourself I would like to know what part failed so I could repair it if it becomes necessary.Thanks to all who respond.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The gears in the final drive on the 650 are straight cut and they produce the characteristic whine that you often get from straight cut gears. That is possibly what you are hearing but it's hard to say for sure without hearing yours run.

I would check the fluid level in both the final drive and the transmission to make sure they both have oil in them. If they do not then I would be going back to the dealer. If they have been running without oil then you will want to have the bearings replaced while they are in warranty. Especially the ones in the transmission because to get to them the engine has to be pulled and taken apart.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a 03 650, the cvt, transmission and drive train make all kinds of whining noises. All of them are connected with straight cut gears. Buffalo is right about straight cut gears and there whine or howl. Mine whines under acceleration and deceleration, but at constant speed it sounds like a singer sewing machine, very quiet. I had a BMW R75/5 that did the same thing. It to was full of straight cut gears.I would some how document your concerns to the dealer and just ride it. It will probably get a little noisier as time and milage accrue. When it is real hot like in the 90's,100 degrees. I swear to God something down on the left side is going to fly apart. But it does'nt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 2013 makes the same described sound. There are about 5 straight cut gears between the rear of the engine and the rear wheel. I think that it is just normal but without hearing yours or another 650 Burgman's can't say for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had an argument with a mechanic about what lubricant goes in the transmission. He said hypoid, everything I found said engine oil. When he drained it, he said it had hypoid in it from a past service. Seems a little quieter now, will have to put more miles on it to be sure. This may be a common error at shops that fix other brand scooters.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had an argument with a mechanic about what lubricant goes in the transmission. He said hypoid, everything I found said engine oil. When he drained it, he said it had hypoid in it from a past service. Seems a little quieter now, will have to put more miles on it to be sure. This may be a common error at shops that fix other brand scooters.
I'm pretty sure the transmission takes 10w40 engine oil. My 650 has over 25,000 miles on it and that's all it's ever had in the transmission. The final drive uses gear oil 75w90 hypoid. I'd say be very careful here and get the proper oil in it ASAP.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Unless they have changed things from the 2012 & prior models, engine & transmission oil(s) are the same. Check your owners manual.
Final drive oil is hypoid.

I found that using synthetic in the transmission made a noticeable reduction in gear whine on my '09. If you don't want to go full syn. in both engine & transmission at this time, you can still use it in the transmission.

Another source of gear whine is the gear in the final (wheel) drive.
At my first rear tire change, I noted only a minimal amount of moly lube in this area.

Synthetic in the transmission and a generous coating of Honda Moly Paste in the final drive all but eliminated the gear whine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts