Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already 16000 mile on the AN650. After about 4-5000 mile, each time I start the engine there's a noise coming up as if the belt is sliding on the poly or so. Is it a common "disease"? And there's another noise coming from (I guess) the fuel pump or so (It’s sound like a whistle. When the engine is working, or not. For a few seconds). Again, anyone encounter that noise?

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
shachar said:
I've already 16000 mile on the AN650. After about 4-5000 mile, each time I start the engine there's a noise coming up as if the belt is sliding on the poly or so. Is it a common "disease"? And there's another noise coming from (I guess) the fuel pump or so (It’s sound like a whistle. When the engine is working, or not. For a few seconds). Again, anyone encounter that noise?
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums shachar. Glad to have you join us.

The noise you're hearing is probably the famous 'dieseling noise' and is common to the 650. Most just look at it as part of the 'character' of the bike. The whistle you hear is probably from the fuel tank. If you want more info on either, use the search at the top of the page. Both of these have been discussed before. There is a "fix" for the dieseling noise. The noise may come back, but should be reduced. See :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1444

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think it is the "belt chirp", not the dieseling noise. Mine started doing that at about the same mileage. Some say that their 650's have done that since new. I do know that every Burgman 650 I heard started at Scootercade made the little chirp. At this point, I consider it "normal", and don't worry about it. From 5,000 miles to almost 14,000 miles, it hasn't gotten any worse. It is usually heard on the first start-up of the day, or after the scoot has been sitting a while. My best guess is that there is a minor amount of wear or stretch that occurs on the belt during that first several thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum shachar :hello2:

Lets hear more of your Burgman experience. :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
shachar said:
And there's another noise coming from (I guess) the fuel pump or so (It’s sound like a whistle. When the engine is working, or not. For a few seconds). Again, anyone encounter that noise?
I'm guessing here, but based on my experience with cars, it's probably the electic fuel pump going into action.

I remember when these first came out in cars, you had to turn the ignition key, and wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to build some gas pressure, before you started the engine, or else you would just be turning ove the engine uselessly because it did not have any gas flowing yet.

Sort of like starting a VW diesel engine and waiting for the glow plugs to heat up.

Now the fuel pumps are quicker so it's not an issue, but even now, if I turn my cages igntion on , and just sit there quietly I can here the little whining sound of the fuel pump doing it's thing.

So that could be it. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The fuel pump does make a noise. I only really notice it between turning on the ignition and starting the engine. You can hear when it is fully pressurized - only takes a couple of seconds. I usually don't hit the start button until the dash stops flashing through its initialization sequence and the fuel pump whine dies down (which happen at roughly the same time). My V-Strom has the same fuel pump whine.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Speaking of noise--- at about 10,000 miles the rear wheel started to make a noise
-like a bunch of loose marbles - when ever I start to move , even just pushing the bike,
to some extent I think the noise was always there but seems much louder now.
Anyone else have this or know if it is likely a future problem or normal wear & tear :?:

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Randy,

Check the rear wheel for too much play. Some people have had to replace the rear wheel bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick reply. But, I was talking about a totaly defernt noise (not the dieseling one! which is not a big issue actually and definitely is part of the caracter...) which occurs only when you start the engine. and the noise sounds exactly as if the belt slides, or not tight enough or so. it takes 2-4 seconds and it's over!.
the "other" noise (the whistle) happans sporadicaly with no connection if the engine works or not, if the switch is on etc. the whistle also takes 2-4 second and vanish. any idea about those two fenomena?

billmeek said:
shachar said:
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums shachar. Glad to have you join us.

The noise you're hearing is probably the famous 'dieseling noise' and is common to the 650. Most just look at it as part of the 'character' of the bike. The whistle you hear is probably from the fuel tank. If you want more info on either, use the search at the top of the page. Both of these have been discussed before. There is a "fix" for the dieseling noise. The noise may come back, but should be reduced. See :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1444

·
Registered
498 Posts
Randy said:
Speaking of noise--- at about 10,000 miles the rear wheel started to make a noise
-like a bunch of loose marbles - when ever I start to move , even just pushing the bike,
to some extent I think the noise was always there but seems much louder now.
Anyone else have this or know if it is likely a future problem or normal wear & tear :?:

Randy, that noise is your wheel bearings. I had to change mine under warranty at 6,000 miles after they failed fully loaded with passenger at 50mph. The bike had been in for a service only 2500 miles or so earlier, so I’d say that either the 650 is exceptionally hard on bearings or Suzuki doesn’t put enough grease on them to start with.

Either way, it’s not an experience that I’ve had with Hondas when used in identical conditions. :?

Get those bearings changed ASAP, as at best it will cut a weekend’s touring short but a worst it could leave you with a bike that suddenly becomes very unstable mid-bend and could be dangerous.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Whinning noise

pauljo said:
The fuel pump does make a noise. I only really notice it between turning on the ignition and starting the engine. You can hear when it is fully pressurized - only takes a couple of seconds. I usually don't hit the start button until the dash stops flashing through its initialization sequence and the fuel pump whine dies down (which happen at roughly the same time). My V-Strom has the same fuel pump whine.
Pauljo, maybe this is what I'm hearing, but I don't hear it all the time. If fact I have put about a 1000 miles on it since I've had it (It had about 8000 on it when I got it) and this is the first time Iv'e heard it do that. It was fairly loud. Today I heard it a couple of times, once before I filled up (I had 80 miles on the odometer) and once after and didn't hear it again and I probably turned on the ignition on 4 or 5 times after that going from one destination to another.

·
Registered
553 Posts
normal

pauljo said:
Sachar,

I think those are the "belt chirp" and the "fuel pump whine" that I described above.

The "belt chirp" is common, the "fuel pump whine" is completely normal.
Paul, is it normal for it to be loud one time and then the next not? I know that an electric fuel pump makes a little whirring sound (which I can hardly hear because my hearing is not all that good) but when you turn the switch on and it sometimes makes this noise I can hear it and then some. Any idea's?

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Steve,

I don't notice it all the time either. I think it depends on where your focus is, other noises going on, and so forth. It probably always makes the noise, but I filter it out sometimes because I am used to it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
This is interesting; this thread was revived just 13 days short of 1 full year from the time of the last post (by lycheed), and yet it's still topical and "current."

·
Registered
62 Posts
ECVT Noise

I'd be willing to bet that the noise you hear is the CVT belt adjusting tension. Unlike the Silverwing, the Burgman electronically adjusts itself each time the motorcycle is started. It's in the service manual, although I do not recall reading it in the owners manual.

The regular adjustment, in addition to the design of the belt, is part of the reason that Suzuki says the belt is good for the life of the bike. Of course, what do they consider the "life" of the bike?

I have 16000 miles on my '03 and the noise has occurred occasionally since new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts