Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, last night I got in a bit of a hurry had 40km to go and about 10 min to get to my kids sports event. Cant miss those.....

So I had the Burger up to 175 on the speedo, that's more likely around 165 or so I know but it was most all she had.

I held it there for bout 5 min.

As I was parking it I noticed I could hear it idle and it seemed louder? CVT maybe? Belt etc I don't know, it did not sound bad just about 4 times louder.
I could smell 'heat' if you get me, kind of a rubber melting smell.

No exhaust damage etc it was all good no dash lights all fine, I had to run into the pool. I left it cool off, and returned about an hour later, it was still louder but not as much as when it was really hot. Ran it back home at my more usual speeds and as I parked it, it is no longer loud, its normal again. This morning I listened carefully and its normal.

So I am wondering if I damaged my belt and after some normal driving it wore down the melted surface?

Do these 650s not like being at their top speed for more than a few sec?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
There is no surface on the belt to "melt". The belt is made of metal links running on a fiber loop and the contact surface is metal.

Are you sure you were not hearing the radiator cooling fan running. After your run at high speeds it was likely kicking in at idle speeds to cool the radiator back down.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If it were me I would check your coolant situation out before I went to far from the house with it . I don't know how many miles you have on your scooter or your service record , what I do know is most people overlook their coolant . Your bike is 5 years old so if you haven't recently checked it out.......... it's time you did ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seems this weekend will be some routine maintenance on cooling then :) Thanx

fan noise seems likely now, I doubt I ever had it hot enough to turn on b4 I just got the bike last month, it was garage stored and other than being started and warmed up every few months it has sat for 3 years.
has about 4500km on it.

Off with the Tupperware!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no surface on the belt to "melt". The belt is made of metal links running on a fiber loop and the contact surface is metal.

Are you sure you were not hearing the radiator cooling fan running. After your run at high speeds it was likely kicking in at idle speeds to cool the radiator back down.

I thought these had a cvt belt like used on a snowmobile :) thanx for clearing that up, now I am curious how it works lol

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Look on the top of the page and find the Knowledgebase link. Click on it then go down the list and find the CVT Info link in the 650 section. Click on that and you will find all kind of information on the ECVT and how it functions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
seems this weekend will be some routine maintenance on cooling then :) Thanx

fan noise seems likely now, I doubt I ever had it hot enough to turn on b4 I just got the bike last month, it was garage stored and other than being started and warmed up every few months it has sat for 3 years.
has about 4500km on it.

Off with the Tupperware!!!
When I buy a used bike I always trailer it home , especially one that has sat for a while . Then a little test ride around my condo complex without a helmet so I can hear better every thing that's going on . Then up on the rack it goes and it stays there until all the fluids and filters have been changed . As best I can I check every thing from front to rear on the bike , and the only thing I trust is what I've done , and that the previous owner is either a liar or an idiot . OR BOTH ! At first blush that may sound harsh , but after you've gone through as many used bikes a I have you'll understand the logic . :happy6:

Good luck . TheReaper!

·
Registered
735 Posts
As far as the smell ... the exhaust system on the 650 likes to collect all kinds of junk off the pavement thrown up by the front wheel. You're in the northwest -- it could be roasting slug guts that you're smelling.

And with 8,000 miles on my K4 since purchase last August, I'm sure that the radiator fan has come on often, but it's so quiet that I never hear it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I buy a used bike I always trailer it home , especially one that has sat for a while . Then a little test ride around my condo complex without a helmet so I can hear better every thing that's going on . Then up on the rack it goes and it stays there until all the fluids and filters have been changed . As best I can I check every thing from front to rear on the bike , and the only thing I trust is what I've done , and that the previous owner is either a liar or an idiot . OR BOTH ! At first blush that may sound harsh , but after you've gone through as many used bikes a I have you'll understand the logic . :happy6:

Good luck . TheReaper!
I am a bit lucky with this one, its my father in laws so I know exactly what its been up to since it left the showroom floor :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts