Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had the Burgie on center stand running engine, to charge up battery, as I haven't been able to ride for last 2 to 3 weeks due to rain, & as rear wheel was spinning it started making a thumping noise, like warped brake or rear bearing. I haven't heard this noise before & was wondering if any of our readers have experenced this sound ?
Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks for your imput

Butch

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
No idea what it may be but try spinning the wheel by hand with the engine off. that may help pin it down, also check the brake pads and rotor, don't forget to shake the wheel to check bearings.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Randy, will check by hand for both problems

Butch

·
Registered
496 Posts
You know I never thought about starting the scoot on the center stand just to charge the battery. Why wouldn't you just plug it into the wall and recharge it? The device only costs about 30.00 and for me has been well worth the investment (esp. when it gets cold).

Evelyn

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Noise

I find this happens after riding through rain or mist, and the bike has sat
for awhile. The disk corrodes in the area under the brake pads. So, you
get an uneven whup whup whup coming from the disk. Once you use the rear brake some and wear off the corrosion, it will be fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Evelyn,

I have never charged any battery except a trolling motor battery, which is main source of power on trolling motor, and is under constant drain from motor. However I have given thought of buying a motorcycle charger just to have in case of emergency. If I had a car or truck that I wasn't driving for two or three weeks, I wouldn't hesitate to start it up, not only to charge battery, but to move fluids thru system to keep in top running order, prevent seals from drying out, & etc. They say a automobile should be started every day, I don't see where motorcycle would be an exception, especially since we don't winterize here in Florida.
I always open garage door & let it run till 1st temp mark appears on readout, maybe reving up a few times in between, then shut her down. I may be completly wrong about motorcycles & running on center stand, but it has worked for me. It's not every day thing, only when out of commission due to weather or otherwise. That's just my 2 cents worth

Butch

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Craig, I will check for noise today before riding, as I have rode last 2 days & if that's the case the noise should be gone. We are finally getting some sunny hot weather to ride in.

Butch

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig,
I did run unit on center stand today to check for whup, whup, whup, sound, did not duplicate. I also checked on Monday per Randy for side play, not duplicated. So I assume that was just a little corrosion & riding the last couple of days has corrected problem. Thank the Lord it wasn't more serious.

Thanks Again,

Butch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts