Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and not sure if I'm doing this right. I have a used 2005 650 Burgman. I hear a noise sometimes (like a rattle or something is loose ) on the right side about where you foot would rest. the scoot has 20,000 miles and runs good. Someone told me I have an exhaust leak and might need new header gaskets. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem or shed some light on what the noise might be.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Bob, this may be a little hard to diagnose over the internet. If the bike is working as it should it could be almost anything even a piece of gravel caught in a body cavity or it could be something serious. I don't know...

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Bob! I had a similar noise when I first picked up my '07 650. It only happened sometimes, but it was a sharp sound and it worried me. Turned out it was my keys bumping against the front panel. Hope your problem turns out to be similarly minor.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I dont have a 650 but you could try to upload a video to see if we can hear anything, it may shed some light.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
As stated it could be many things. Worse case I can think of from that general area would be the cam chain. I would not jump to the conclusion that was it though. If you can't find another source for it then you might check that out. If one has not been done then at 20,000 miles it's about time for a valve clearance check anyway.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 650's tupperware rattles due to the harsh ride from the forks. Can you correlate your rattle to road conditions or engine speed or wheel speed or ???

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had a bad rattle in mine shortly after I got it. Ended up being a bottle of fuel conditioner in the right cubby hole someone put there thinking they were doing me a favor giving it for my new bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I might have a handle on the noise. There is a loose plastic part above the front fender that rattles it isn't connected to the fender, but above it between the front forks. Not sure yet how to tighten it, or what it is for.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If that is the part I think it is there are two bolts that hold it on. They screw in from the bottom. If I remember right it takes a 10 mm wrench to tighten them.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Had a similar noise that I couldn't locate - sometimes it seemed to emanate from the front, at other times from mid-ship. Tracked it down to a loose license plate frame vibrating against the rear fender! Go figure.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
I think I might have a handle on the noise. There is a loose plastic part above the front fender that rattles it isn't connected to the fender, but above it between the front forks. Not sure yet how to tighten it, or what it is for.
That flat panel above the fender is an air dam to make the air flow thru the radiator. Like Craig said, two 10mm bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts