Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2003 Bergman AN400 with 9600 miles on it. It runs great. The only thing I have a concern about is when I pull out each time it makes a noise from the rear end and quits as soon as you are moving like 20 feet or so. Is this common for these? Shouldn't be the belt at 9600 already should it? They say 20000 miles for that usually. It does this after every time you stop and pull out again. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i just purchased a 2003 bergman an400 with 9600 miles on it. It runs great. The only thing i have a concern about is when i pull out each time it makes a noise from the rear end and quits as soon as you are moving like 20 feet or so. Is this common for these? Shouldn't be the belt at 9600 already should it? They say 20000 miles for that usually. It does this after every time you stop and pull out again. Thanks for any input.
sounds to me like your clutch pads may be glazed and slipping on the clutch bell before they fully engage the bell...........

Pull the cvt cover off and look at the clutch pads - remove and sand with emory cloth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately the only thing I can fix is a computer. I'd have to take it to a shop. Will it hurt anything letting it as is?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Does it make the sound when the bike is sitting still with the engine idling. Does it make the noise when you push the bike with the engine off.

If the answer to these two questions is yes then it is likely the bearing on the clutch idle shaft. That bearing making noise is common on the early model 400. The bearing is only turning when the clutch is disengaged or partially engaged so it does not present an issue when you are moving. If it totally fails then when you come to a halt the clutch will not disengage and the engine will die. It will make noise for a long time before it totally fails. I rode mine for almost a year with it making noise before I replaced the bearing. Replacing it requires taking the CVT apart.

If the answer is no then as v8eyedoc mentioned it might be the clutch shoes.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Then most likely it is something in the clutch and glazed shoes is a good candidate. If they are glazed then the problem might get worse and it might get better. Hard to say.

If you don't feel confident diagnosing it then take it to a mechanic you trust and have them listen to it. If you don't have a mechanic you trust then you need to find one given that you say you can't work on the bike yourself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does it make the sound when the bike is sitting still with the engine idling. Does it make the noise when you push the bike with the engine off.

If the answer to these two questions is yes then it is likely the bearing on the clutch idle shaft. That bearing making noise is common on the early model 400. The bearing is only turning when the clutch is disengaged or partially engaged so it does not present an issue when you are moving. If it totally fails then when you come to a halt the clutch will not disengage and the engine will die. It will make noise for a long time before it totally fails. I rode mine for almost a year with it making noise before I replaced the bearing. Replacing it requires taking the CVT apart.

If the answer is no then as v8eyedoc mentioned it might be the clutch shoes.
HELLO Cn you go here http://www.ronayers.com/TRANSMISSION-1--C506190.aspx and let me know which of the bearing might be,,,,i think I have that problem also.
Bruno

1 - 9 of 9 Posts