Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been talked about before, but I am new to it. Just recently got a 08 Burgman 400. When I got it home, there is a burning smell coming from the rear on the muffler side. Bike runs fine, but there is like a "barking" sound occasionally at take off. Could the 2 be related? Bike only has 2400 miles on it. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think a set of ear plugs and a colonoscopy will fix your problems. Ha ha! Sorry, but anyway I would let a good m/c mechanic look at it, preferably a Suzuki dealer.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Somebody may cook someth inside your exhaust if bike has stood for a long time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike has 2400 miles. I just cleaned the CVT filter, it was pretty dirty. Could that cause the bike to run hot? My temperature guage on dash is always about in the middle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never had CVT case open, took cover off that was about it. Not real confident in working on this thing:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
i too have the 08 400. when mine was new it made a squalling sound but never had any smell. after several thousand miles the sound went away. i took it back to the dealer and told me that it was nothing that would strand me on the side of the road.
not familiar with the smell though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is missing the heat shield off the exhaust, that may be part of it. Cause I would think that would direct some of the heat/fumes downward.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The "barking" sound may just be not giving enough throttle on takeoff. If you don't use enough throttle when you takeoff the clutch can "bark" until the clutch fully engages. Try more throttle when you start off and see if it's smoother. After you get going then adjust your throttle to your speed.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
How many miles on it?

Could be the clutch is glazed/worn--open up the CVT case and see what you can see...
A glazed clutch explains both the barking sound and the smell. You could have some spent material dust in there as well. My local shop charges $40 for a deglaze and clean up. Not a big deal, but try to find someone familiar with CVTs, like a scooter guy. Many MC mechanics are woefully undertrained.

You'll find it much smoother whence done.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
This is my standard recommendation for riding the 400...

Depending on riding style, terrain and load, the clutch pads have a tendency to heat up and glaze after a while, 5k-20k miles. It's not a big deal and happens on most CVTs. The glaze just needs to be sanded off. The shops I've had it done at charge $40-90. If you're at all good with your own maintenance, its not too difficult to do yourself.

To help prevent glazing, try to blip the throttle on take-off to 4500 rpm, then adjust your speed accordingly. This maneuver will engage the clutch quickly and limit heat buildup. You can't avoid heating the clutch altogether, but this technique will lessen the severity and extend the time between deglazings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have an 08 400 that we purchased in April with 3300 miles and now it has 7600 miles that we noticed had the same two oddities.

I would notice an odd smell after an average ride and a small drip on the floor after a long ride. I discovered the o-ring on the filler cap was seeping. I found one at my local Ace hardware and the problem was solved or to this point after a couple of thousand miles.

Liamjs has me convinced that the noise is the glazed clutch. The sound reminds me of the sound that my go-cart (when I was a kid...40yrs ago) used to make upon take off minus the bell sound. I haven't gotten around to addressing the clutch. I understand it will not effect the price of corn in China. It will be one of my cold and rainy winter jobs when riding is not possible.

Pastor Tyler

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts