Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty Ctek battery charger/conditioner died.
I don’t have garages of vehicles like I used to so I looked around for a low cost battery tender for My 400.

A store in town had an offer on the little Noco Genius 1.
You guys are probably familiar with Noco but we don’t see them much over here. This titchy one was new to me.

Its a 1 amp charger, so slightly high for the stock YUASA AGM battery.

It does have an AGM battery setting which is good but I can’t see any details on the voltage/current Cycle.
Usually this means a slightly higher charge voltage needed to fully charge an AGM - but not always the slightly different (lower) maintenance recommend for AGM. With no info, I don’t know.

It comes with a fused quick connect lead and the best clips for bikes I can remember seeing.
They are well made and slim nosed so you can easily get into confined battery boxes.
To wire direct to the battery you unscrew the eyelets in the clips (which are thoughtfully set at an angle so the handle doesn’t block the screwdtiver) Then bolt the eyelets to the battery.

It leaves you with some orphan clips but they are so good I’m going to swop them onto one of my bigger chargers - to use both methods requires an additional lead.

Casing is dust/splash proof but not fully waterproof.

As it was pretty much the cheapest maintainer around without going “supermarket special” I was surprised at how well built this little unit is. And it really is small, not much bigger than a domestic UK plug, would easily fit in the glove box if that is something you needed to do.

It is designed to be idiot proof “plug it in and it does everything for you” but in promoting the simplicity they have obscured the technical bits that might be important to other users with a bit more experience.

It isn’t specifically for bikes and at 1 amp it is slightly above the recommended 0.9 amp.
Low amps is best for the battery but I’m not concerned. It will charge a bigger battery if needed but it would take all day for a truck battery - fine to maintain a large battery though.

Time will tell

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was cheaper than an optimate or small Ctek.

I do like Ctek stuff but the small ones have “mode” membrane button that sometimes fail and now that they are sealed units it’s hard to tinker with it.

This unit retains the previous battery type, you don’t have to set it each time. Less wear on the switch.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got this one from Amazon for $12.63 after coupon...
That’s a generic Chinese unit that gets all kinds of names stuck on it (Keenstone, DAGA, LotFancy, stores brand etc)

Be aware:
1. They revert to default setting in power outage - drops your setting.

2. I think they are fixed at 1.5 amp. Ideally the charge rate should be no more than 1/10th of the batteries 10 hr rate (that’s 0.9 amp for a K7+ 400) for best battery life.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nifty feature for dead batteries.

Most small “smart chargers” will not charge a completely dead battery because the check for a voltage, below 10v or some other nominal value they don’t initialise the charge cycle.

On this unit you can hold down the mode button for 5 seconds to override the after circuit and start the cycle.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
noco is a known brand.
I think I bought a crabpy one but seems "ok".

it was on sale so thats what I got.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was on sale so thats what I got.
I haven’t seen that one before but it looks like it has a separate motorcycle mode so that will drop the amps down. It doesn’t seem to say how much.

It might not be the same chip but on 2 units very similar to that -> both put out 0.8 amps in motorcycle mode which is fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts