Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2012 yesterday fresh from the crate. I was afraid of what I was going to encounter at high speeds with the windshield based on many comments on this forum. I put 106 miles on it in short notice and did many on 2 lanes and interstate at speeds in excess of what was posted. Aside some weird looks by cagers being passed by a scooter on the interstate, I noticed no negative activity from the scooter. The windshield was raised and lowered and never was there any issues with vibration or flapping. Maybe they fixed that problem for 2012?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me 2009 650 Suzuki windshield no vibrate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Chaplain KC said:
I picked up my 2012 yesterday fresh from the crate. I was afraid of what I was going to encounter at high speeds with the windshield based on many comments on this forum. I put 106 miles on it in short notice and did many on 2 lanes and interstate at speeds in excess of what was posted. Aside some weird looks by cagers being passed by a scooter on the interstate, I noticed no negative activity from the scooter. The windshield was raised and lowered and never was there any issues with vibration or flapping. Maybe they fixed that problem for 2012?
Is this a new way of breaking in the engine? Good luck wit dat!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
typhoon said:
(In reply to a poster riding high-speed on his brand-new 2012 Exec with less than 100 miles on the odo)
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Warning:
This is a very controversial topic !!

I wrote "Break-In Secrets" after successfully applying this method
to approximately 300 new engines, all without any problems whatsoever.

Links to this article now appear on hundreds of motorsports discussion forums from all over the world. The reason is that over time, large numbers of people have done a direct comparison between my method and the owner's manual method, and the news of their success is spreading rapidly.

The results are always the same... a dramatic increase in power at all RPMs. In addition, many professional mechanics have disassembled engines that have used this method, to find that the condition of the engine is much better than when the owner's manual break-in method has been used.

The thing that makes this page so controversial is that there have been many other break-in articles
written in the past which will contradict what has been written here.

Several factors make the older information on break-in obsolete.

The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements, because as you're about to learn, the window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with
newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines.

In addition, there is a lot less heat build up in the cylinders from ring friction
due to the finer honing pattern used in modern engines.

The other factors that have changed are the vastly improved metal casting and machining
technologies which are now used. This means that the "wearing in" of the new parts
involves significantly less friction and actual wear than it did in the distant past.

With that in mind ...

Welcome to one of the most controversial motorsports pages on the internet !!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I looked at the "new break-in procedures" and I am skeptical. He is full of hyperbole which makes me wonder about his whole theory. He states the rings seal against "thousands of pounds of pressure." Bull hockey. A quick internet search yields combustion pressures on the order of 700-1000 psi for normal engines, 1500 for racing engines. The pressure is pushing down on the rings which are held in place by the groove in the piston, not spring pressure. He may be right about the way to do it but his explanation does not hold the pressure.

R in OB

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Does the windshield have a motor that needs breaking in? :?:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts