Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took a ride on my 650/trinity the other day. took off from a stoplight and heard a sound that sounded like a snap. rolled to a stop. she starts up fine runes fine but no power to the rear sprocket. I think it's my cvt belt. the bike only has 6600 miles on it and it like new shape.

any guidance would be helpful

thanks

Dominick.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
took a ride on my 650/trinity the other day. took off from a stoplight and heard a sound that sounded like a snap. rolled to a stop. she starts up fine runes fine but no power to the rear sprocket. I think it's my cvt belt. the bike only has 6600 miles on it and it like new shape. any guidance would be helpful thanks Dominick.
The Trinity has its own belt that goes from the swing arm of the Burgman to the Trinity's differential. Is that belt intact and not stripped? What area are you from? If you were close, I'd stop over and take a look.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bike is one of the first kits, or I was told. it did have a belt drive but I was told it kept snapping belts so trinity switched it over to a chain drive. I'm in New York State. I'll post a pic in my gallery in a minute.

thanks

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What year Burgman do you have ? 6600 miles is not much but rubber also can dry rot with age.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's a 05. I think it's sat most to its life without monthly rides. with 6600 miles on a 05 that's far less then 1000 a year. dry rot could be the issue. I'm just looking for some guidance.

I'm very handy with tools and want to pull the cover and replace the belt. there's still some good riding here in NYS.

thanks for the comment

Dom

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There is no rubber in the belt in the 650 CVT. It's constructed from aluminum links strung on two fiber belts. You can pretty much determine if the belt is broken by taking the CVT fliter out then looking to see if the CVT fan is turning when the engine is running. If not then the belt is likely broken.

It is also a lot more than pulling a cover to change a belt. You pretty much have to take the bike apart to get to the CVT. Here is a link to the thread on what it took when I replaced the belt in mine. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/47782-cvt-belt-replace.html#post471952

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no rubber in the belt in the 650 CVT. It's constructed from aluminum links strung on two fiber belts. You can pretty much determine if the belt is broken by taking the CVT fliter out then looking to see if the CVT fan is turning when the engine is running. If not then the belt is likely broken.

It is also a lot more than pulling a cover to change a belt. You pretty much have to take the bike apart to get to the CVT. Here is a link to the thread on what it took when I replaced the belt in mine. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/47782-cvt-belt-replace.html#post471952
I'll do,that buffalo, I will also check your post on cvt belt replacement. I think I've looked at your post earlier today.

thanks so much for the guidience folks. :blob4:

Dom

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wow, if it is your belt that may be one of the lowest mileage belt breaks I have heard of.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Dom, Where in NY are you located?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

checked my cvt belt like for said. the drive under the air filter is turning with throttle response. if the belt is good then is it the wet clutch. I changed the oil and it was really black.

let me know when you think.

thanks so much.

Dom

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sounds like the belt is intact. That does not completely rule out some other problem in the CVT but makes it more likely the problem is somewhere else.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally done

Installed new final drive yoke and new #12 bolts along with the other
Parts from the trinity drive which I had milled to accept the proper bolts

Took a few test rides and all feels great.

Thanks to all who helped with tips

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts